A Reason to Live, a Reason to Die / Una ragione per vivere e una per morire (Tonino Valerii, 1972)

I like that one too (itā€™s like a mission impossible episode in the west). Guess I like them all.

This is a fair point and, in those terms, no, it is not a bad movie. But, in those terms, it is not a great movie either in my opinion. And in particular considering the talent involved I think it could have been better. And often, rightly or wrongly, a film can become judged by how it stacks up against others made by the same people rather than how it compares in the genre as a whole. For example, I recently watched Fedra West, a Marchent film, and was pleasantly surprised and feel genuinely enthused by it. Had the same film been made by Corbucci or Petroni I may have judged it differently and considered it one of their lesser works.

For me, this film is a decent middle of the road 3 star effort that could have been better considering the talent involved. It is also a film which, unlike some others, doesnā€™t improve with repeated viewings for me. It is, nevertheless, still an enjoyable flick. Would never say I didnā€™t like it. Just not as much as I used to and not as much as Iā€™d like to. Savalasā€™ death scene is the best bit for me. Worth watching the rest of the film just for that.

On a separate note, is the Wild East release of this the short or long version? Does anyone know? I have the short on VHS and the long on DVDr but was wondering what WE went with. The longer version does add something extra but, like Ennioo, I miss Coburnā€™s voice in it and wind up preferring the shorter version as a result.

Well Stanton I use my old school days classification values from 0 (mostly 1, only an absent student would get a zero) to 5.
3 itā€™s the average, the sufficient, the just enough to make it, the film itā€™s not as bad as for instance Il Bianco, Il Giallo Il Nero, and althought I did recognize itā€™s weakness without a great analytical view, I did follow it to the end, maybe if I do not appreciate the genre I would gave it two stars (I tend to value SW more than other films).I think the worst you can say about the film itā€™s that even if it was done with other less known or not so iconic other than Coburn and Savalas I would still gave a 3 stars classification.

The Wild East one is the long version.

I not with you one that one Phil ;D thatā€™s the one scene that for me itā€™s exemplifies the average status of the all film. Savalas character should be mean as a snake, you get that impression the all film, and do you get in the end, a guy surrenders like some normal coward that waits for mercy, at least some last trick on the sleave, or just something more thriilling than that scene.

[quote=ā€œEl Topo, post:103, topic:468ā€]Well Stanton I use my old school days classification values from 0 (mostly 1, only an absent student would get a zero) to 5.
3 itā€™s the average, the sufficient, the just enough to make it, the film itā€™s not as bad as for instance Il Bianco, Il Giallo Il Nero, and althought I did recognize itā€™s weakness without a great analytical view, I did follow it to the end, maybe if I do not appreciate the genre I would gave it two stars (I tend to value SW more than other films).I think the worst you can say about the film itā€™s that even if it was done with other less known or not so iconic other than Coburn and Savalas I would still gave a 3 stars classification.[/quote]

The usual definition problem.
For me 3/5 is a watchable film, or a film of acceptable quality. While an average film is for me already a waste of time.
Average is a negative term for me. For films which are like all the other films, or which are without personality, or a mostly failed attempt to make something better. Average films are forgettable films. In the end it is not important if a film is average or bad or very bad. These films are all mostly boring and I try to avoid them.

Which also means an entertaining film is always at least a 3/5. Or the other way round, the minimum claim for a good film is that it should be an entertaining film.

End of Off Topic Definition Time

Ok a definition, but for me itā€™s different, and itā€™s not just the case of liking films that I know are bad, because theyā€™re stupidlly funny. have a lot of sleaze and so on, I have a friend that says that what Iā€™m saying does not exist itā€™s bad itā€™s bad, well I donā€™t agree with him, I can notice that a film have very poor production values, bad acting, a lauzy script, really a bad one, but I can still watch it and find it funny for some reason, how I would classified it, good question I donā€™t know, maybe my normal criterion analysis would change in such cases. I can live with an average film, if so there wouldnā€™t be bad or very bad ones, to me bad or very bad films are below average, but like Pereira says itā€™s all subjective.

Anyway for future references thatā€™s my empirical classification

5 very good (masterpiece level) Ex: Django - Sergio Corbucci
4 good (nicely done film) Ex: The Five Man army -?
3 average stuff Ex: A reason to live, a reason to die Tonino Valerii
2 bad film Ex: Il Bianco il giallo Il Nero - Sergio corbucci
1 very bad film Ex; acquasanta joe - Mario gariazzo
0 unwatchable (until 1 i still watch them) Ex: canā€™t remember one but they exist

Try some Fidani. Ex. Chega Django e Sartana e ā€œĆ© o fim do mundo em cuecasā€

I saw a Crea once. Donā€™t remember the title, but it was a ZERO, CREA CRAP.

Wooo. Must see it!

Try this one:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Sette_del_gruppo_selvaggio,_I

Very, very, very, very, very, very boring, very, very, very badly directed. Occasionally funny, but not by purpose and not enough to watch the whole sloppy thing. Films canā€™t get much worser.

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:111, topic:468ā€]Try this one:

Very, very, very, very, very, very boring, very, very, very badly directed. Occasionally funny, but not by purpose and not enough to watch the whole sloppy thing. Films canā€™t get much worser.[/quote]

Damn, it just been added to my watch list. I think I actually have a torrent file of it.

Seed pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaase ;D ;D ;D

Youā€™ll be PM.

Watch out, people my think. Iā€™ll be Prime Minister ;D ;D

Not a good film at all.
Considering the fact that Valerii got Coburn (through his Leone-connection) it should
have been much better directed. The formula script doesnā€™t help much of course but
Valerii should have put in more tempo & surprises. Also itā€™s one of the few ā€˜biggerā€™ SWā€™s
I canā€™t recall the soundtrackā€¦
The longer version is better but of course even slower :slight_smile:

This always works to push it onto watch lists.
There was probably one ā€œveryā€ too much in my recommendation. Mmmh, ā€¦ probably not.

[quote=ā€œmike siegel, post:116, topic:468ā€]The longer version is better but of course even slower :)[/quote]I prefer the shorter version, I think some of the scenes in longer version are unnecessary and shorter version has Coburns own voice.

Is there a DVD release of the shorter version?

(Talking about the Crea Crap:)

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:111, topic:468ā€]Try this one:

Very, very, very, very, very, very boring, very, very, very badly directed. Occasionally funny, but not by purpose and not enough to watch the whole sloppy thing. Films canā€™t get much worser.[/quote]

This was the Crea I was talking about:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Se_t'incontro,_t'ammazzo

I just checked the filmā€™s thread. Bad Lieutenant says Crea has done worse than this. I trust him on this.