A Reason to Live, a Reason to Die / Una ragione per vivere e una per morire (Tonino Valerii, 1972)

Hereā€™s my review of the Wild East DVD:
https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/A_Reason_to_Live%2C_a_Reason_to_Die_DVD_Review

A nice flick, but not really as good as 5 Man Army, I thinkā€¦

For more info visit:
Database page: Ragione per vivere e una per morire, Una - The Spaghetti Western Database

Give A Reason to Live A Reason to Die your rating out of five stars!

0 voters

A nice flick, but not really as good as 5 Man Army, I thinkā€¦
[/quote]+

5 man army sucks! its the a-team spaghetti of all time!

compare it with ā€œkill them all and come back aloneā€ in my opinion that is the best group hero spaghetti!

I donā€™t like ā€œ5 Man Armyā€ either, but it does have a really great title-tune by maestro Morricone :slight_smile:

This SW should be much, much better. The first half is so lala, but the second is astonishingly poorly made, a total disappointment. The script is without any ideas for the whole part where they infiltrate the fort, and Valeriiā€™s flat direction of the action scenes kills the film definitely.

And is this really Telly Savalas or only a dummy of him?

I donā€™t think ā€œA reasonā€ is very good either, doesnā€™t it also feel a bit like an american western instead of a spaghetti?

Definately not one of my favourites. I would consider it as ā€˜solid average materialā€™ !!!

I like it quite much. Well, itā€™s basically Dirty Dozen rip-off but I think it works well and itā€™s something quite different in the genre.

How do you feel about the different cuts? I prefer the shorter version a little bit. It has Coburnā€™s own voice and I like how the relationship between Bud Spencer and Coburn is more mysterious in shorter version. Longer one has some needless scenes too, like the one where Spencer is having a pee (though Iā€™ve been wondering if Leone was parodying this scene in Valeriis My name is Nobody :P)

1 Like

whatā€™s the wild east? the long one? it has the peeing scene

yes, Wild Eastā€™s version is the longer one. Longer version has the long introduction scene, peeing scene and maybe some others, also the dubbing and the music is different.

I have just received the Wild East version in the post, and looking forward to watching.
I may put Fort Yuma Gold on pre-order.
I have only seen A Reason Toā€¦, before on an old U.K VHS tape.

i[quote=ā€œENNIOO, post:10, topic:468ā€]I have just received the Wild East version in the post, and looking forward to watching.
I may put Fort Yuma Gold on pre-order.
I have only seen A Reason Toā€¦, before on an old U.K VHS tape.[/quote]
i also have only ever seen it on an old U.K guild tape, i will get the DVD when i have the money

I think this is an average movie. I like the premise but it doesnā€™t quite live up to it. The movie kind of drags on in the middle and the finale is somewhat lackluster (and itā€™s kind of spoiled by the beginning as well).

[quote=ā€œBill san Antonio, post:7, topic:468ā€]I like it quite much. Well, itā€™s basically Dirty Dozen rip-off but I think it works well and itā€™s something quite different in the genre.

How do you feel about the different cuts? I prefer the shorter version a little bit. It has Coburnā€™s own voice and I like how the relationship between Bud Spencer and Coburn is more mysterious in shorter version. Longer one has some needless scenes too, like the one where Spencer is having a pee (though Iā€™ve been wondering if Leone was parodying this scene in Valeriis My name is Nobody :P)[/quote]

Iā€™ve only seen the Wild East one and itā€™s a shame Coburnā€™s own voice isnā€™t in it. He has such a characteristic voice so the dub annoyed me slighlty.

thatā€™s not coburn? it sounds a little like eastwood :wink:

Coburn was one of the original choices by Leone for the role of Joe in Fistful, but luckily in the end Eastwood got the part.

I donā€™t think Coburn would have been even half as good as Eastwood in the Dollars films :wink:

Iā€™m not 100 % sure but on the Wild East disc it doesnā€™t sound like Coburn at all, it could be the dub that sounds wonky I guess. The trailer (on the same disc) sounds very different, there he sounds like Coburn should:)

The original english language release was severly cut and Coburn didnā€™t dub the cut scenes. So it isnā€™t Coburns voice on the uncut Wild East copy, just some unknown voice actor. Pity.

Ah thanks for clearing that up Cian, it was what I expected.

Concering Coburns dub,i have a vhs copy(Massacre at fort holman)and it is coburnā€™s voice.

I saw this movie for the first time this past weekend (Wild East version). Does anybody know where this was filmed? ā€œFort Holmanā€ is one of the most impressive and unique looking Spaghettii locations/sets Iā€™ve ever seen.
I donā€™t recall seeing it in any other films (but there must be others). Surely this was not just a set constructed for the filmā€¦?

Thanks

No, it was build for an american production, the forgettable El Condor.

Also in Blindman, Ben & Charlie and several more.