A Reason to Live, a Reason to Die / Una ragione per vivere e una per morire (Tonino Valerii, 1972)

He fails with Savalasā€™ role, too short. This fellow should be grittier, it should be a complete son of a bitch! But the movie is bombastic, the kind of action I would expect in a spaghetti. People donā€™t seem to like Valerii, and I canā€™t understand whyā€¦

I donā€™t like the Spanish edition of this one, ordered the Wild East, hope itā€™s better. ::slight_smile:

Well of cousre there somehow is a lot of action, at least there is a high bodycountā€¦ the finale is OK, a huge pile of action, but still even there a lot of possibilities wasted. It really is a lot of stuff happening there, shooting, exploding and everything, but still not stunning.

I gave up on this one. I think it was Coburn being dubbed into English that really irritated me. If there were an uncut release with Coburnā€™s actual voice (as on the apparently shorter version) I might try watching again.

Another fave movie of mine I canā€™t skip to comment (boy am I not lazy tonight :stuck_out_tongue: )

First time, I saw a part of this movie on TV, somewhere, 9 years ago, then had to go to an English class (I was 13 then I think), and I wished I would see the whole movie, since Coburn is my favorite actor (not hard to see by avatar, is it? :slight_smile: ). I just adored the way he did the ā€œFistful of dynamiteā€, being a horse-smiling Irish revolutionary. Here, he was just so, differentā€¦

What I never could understand, is, how can you put together 3 so different actors such as Bud Spencer, James Coburn and Telly Savalas, plus all of them to function in a bombastic movie? I mean, Bud Spencer will for me always be ā€œbear-like low-IQ killing machineā€, Telly Savalas a creepy villain and an excellent comedian in the same role (On Her Majestyā€™s Secret Service;Dirty Dozen), letā€™s just say he was creepy, and as for Coburnā€¦ Hell, he was a universal actor. Unusual to be seen in serious roles as this one is, but I more like remember him as Britt from the ā€œSevenā€, Flint the secret agent, or in the worst case - both of those as Sean Mallory.

I mean, there you have a bear, a creep and a serious major. ā€œThe serious, the creep and the bearā€, sounds bad to me, that is what I thought when I looked up the movie on internet. Yet, I decided to give it a chance. Can it be bad?

I got a movie, from a friend, and watched it. Yeah, it did remind a bit of Dirty Dozen, yet it did not. I mean, I really like those ā€œassembling a teamā€ westerns, such as Magnificent Seven orā€¦ Well, Magnificent Seven. Many say it was a Dirty Dozen copycat. But is the Dirty Dozen 2: The Next Mission actually a copy of this movie? I mean, there you have some hanging runaways, them refusing to go onto a mission, the ā€œthere is a load of gold if you go with meā€ trick, successful mission, everyone but main hero dyingā€¦ Anyone noticed?

Anyways, I somehow loved how the plot was going on, and Bud Spencer really did amazing job. Itā€™s Bud Spencer. Need I say more? :smiley: Savallas was underused, I agree, but, should he have said more? I mean, we donā€™t like villains that speak much. That is why I liked Henry Fonda in Leoneā€™s OUATITW, Lee Van Cleef in The Good, Bad and the Ugly etc.

The plot is original. Well, the motive is not, but plot sure is. I mean, unique idea - he forced a man to surrender a fort threatening with his sonā€™s life. And killed him anyways. I mean, to me, it is much better than the Kinskiā€™s Loco role in Silence. I mean, Locoā€™s " I wonā€™t kill you" - then shot anyways, is nothing compared to this.

The shooting scenes are amazing, and how everyone in the end managed to get so dedicated to the missionā€¦ And of courseā€¦ Valerii gave us something not so usual, a true Corbucci-like ending: He does not spare Savallas. He stabs him with his own sword. Yeah, it might have been stupid if he would have not killed him, but I thought it would be a Companeros-like ending. The villain surrenders, turns around to shoot and gets killed.

Well, to sum up in the end (am writing too much :stuck_out_tongue: ), I gave this movie a 5, since it is a rarity in its genre. Unlike the first impression I had, I changed my view of it - it is a great movie I recommend to anyone who likes this genre.

One of the 20 BEST!!! SW ever made!!!

I really like it as well.

Is a top 10 for me! Bombastic action! ;D

Are you guys all blackmailed by Tonino?

LOL
Iā€™m a fan. Love all his work except the one with Leone.

That at least makes sense and is somehow consequent. Respect

I also Like this one; Savalas Coburn, Bud, Italian director, cā€™mon it canā€™t go wrong. Dirty dozen goes Spaghetti western ;D

Hey. Do you know anybody who got this in VHS? Watched it once in the local videoclube, should have made a copy!
Would love to find some spaghetti Portuguese tapes.

Yeah well, he has a picture of me laughing at ā€œWhite, Yellow, Blackā€ ;D

No Pereira (strange writing english with the other Portuguese on SWDB) but all Valerii western were in VHS so maybe if you search in some old Video Club that still survive.
I have to go to Feira da Ladra sometime, I use to get lucky with old vynil records

[quote=ā€œEl Topo, post:74, topic:468ā€]No Pereira (strange writing english with the other Portuguese on SWDB) but all Valerii western were in VHS so maybe if you search in some old Video Club that still survive.
I have to go to Feira da Ladra sometime, I use to get lucky with old vynil records[/quote]

;D.
Agora sĆ³ para quem entende. Reparei que Ć©s de Samora Correia, o que quer dizer que os dois Portugueses que se passeiam no forum do SWDB vivem num raio de 30km, jĆ” que estou por Alcochete! Portalegre sĆ³ nos fins-de-semanaā€¦ Se souberes de alguma VHS tuga diz! :wink:

;D
Realmente em Alcochete nem 30km sĆ£o,qualquer dia combina-se e vamos beber um copo ou um cafĆ© se a Maria for ao ALfoz ;D
Ok eu nĆ£o me importo com os VHS o meu leitor jĆ” nĆ£o funciona da choques ;D investi tanto num sistema XPTO 5.1 que nĆ£o me vou preocupar com VHS.
De qualquer modo vou tentar descobrir algumas lojas em Lisboa que tem material antigo sei que hĆ” clubes de video que ainda guardam alguns VHS, mas estou mais por dentro do circuito dos discos antigos nĆ£o tanto no video

[quote=ā€œEl Topo, post:76, topic:468ā€];D
Realmente em Alcochete nem 30km sĆ£o,qualquer dia combina-se e vamos beber um copo ou um cafĆ© se a Maria for ao ALfoz ;D
Ok eu nĆ£o me importo com os VHS o meu leitor jĆ” nĆ£o funciona da choques ;D investi tanto num sistema XPTO 5.1 que nĆ£o me vou preocupar com VHS.
De qualquer modo vou tentar descobrir algumas lojas em Lisboa que tem material antigo sei que hĆ” clubes de video que ainda guardam alguns VHS, mas estou mais por dentro do circuito dos discos antigos nĆ£o tanto no video[/quote]

LOL. Combinado.

It can ā€¦ :wink:

I rewatched it yesterday. Good movie. Certainly has weaknesses, but I think itā€™s good. I was irritated with Bud Spencer. Sorry. But he does not fit into the film.

I like the work of Valerii.

I was glad to see the serious version. In Germany there is a comedy sync, which is really bad. And it is cut.

I also think it is better than for example Kill Them All and Come Back Alone.

My Rating 7 / 10.

New review for this one here: