A Reason to Live, a Reason to Die / Una ragione per vivere e una per morire (Tonino Valerii, 1972)

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:37, topic:468ā€]But Savalas is terrible. Another quote from me copied from the ā€œlast westernā€ thread:

ā€œLook at Telly Savalas, does he do anything? Only standing around with hanging arms like heā€™s waiting for some acting instructions, but becomes nothing. Never seen him so dull. But so is the complete film.ā€

Except for his death scene he was completely wasted.
ading it again, it seems as we were talking about 2 different films.[/quote]
yes and no, the figure heā€™s palying is an arrogant, cold-hearted (etc.) asshole. so for me his laconic acting here is adequat.

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:37, topic:468ā€]Here we have again a completely different view. I couldnā€™t spot any interesting atmosphere and also no epic style. This is surely not an epic film as it uses history only as an interchangeable background for a (simple) action adventure.
Well, yes there are a few ideas, itā€™s not a Fidani.[/quote]
the badness (or better sadness) of the war is the atmosphere.
more often I saw this movie, I consider this movie as a congeries of absurd (one time more funny, other time more bleak) stories besides the front of the war (-> the war as cause of grazy stories; f.e. the idea at the beginning with the one armed sheriff, very nice) ā€¦ hold together by the revange story (a war in the war).
so I wouldnā€™t say that itā€™s only a simple action movie.
itā€™s a movie which uses a simple metaphorical language to transport emotions ā€¦ or whatever ā€¦

I have the wild-east release (about 112min). maybe I forgot this scene ā€¦
also I know some different german versions, but I couldnā€™t remember very much. do somebody know, if there are differnet scores too.

what version is this?

also the wild-east version.

[quote=ā€œmwaf, post:41, topic:468ā€]do somebody know, if there are differnet scores too.
what version is this?[/quote]

Yes. My two versions have different scores although both obviously from the same original source as the themes are the same.

I like laconic acting, but I still would call this refusing to act.

the badness (or better sadness) of the war is the atmosphere. more often I saw this movie, I consider this movie as a congeries of absurd (one time more funny, other time more bleak) stories besides the front of the war (-> the war as cause of grazy stories; f.e. the idea at the beginning with the one armed sheriff, very nice) ... hold together by the revange story (a war in the war). so I wouldn't say that it's only a simple action movie. it's a movie which uses a simple metaphorical language to transport emotions ... or whatever ...

Interesting

what version is this?

Itā€™s from a bonus disc from a Spencer/Hill box with the ZDF dub (which was made in the 90s and the DVD ends with the ZDF closing credits), but only in 1,78:1. It wasnā€™t released outside the box.
The actual Pal lenght of the DVD is 113 min (=118 min cinema). It starts with the credits followed by the scenes in the half destroyed town.

I just re-watched this one the AWE label, it runs 113 min and is in 2.35:1 ratio.
The film was better than I remembered, but still no more than average.
And I agree with those in this thread who says that more time should have been spent on character development and conflicts within the group.

I had always wondered why they hadnā€™t used Coburnā€™s voice and if there was a version out there with it. I wonder if the reason is because Coburn dubbed a shorter International release and then when they tried to do an English dub of the longer version he was no longer available?

Why the producers did some of the sub-standard dubs they did is one of the great mysteries of life ???

watched this one earlier ON DEMAND. The versionon demand wasthe cut versionwith recycled scores of Day of Anger and Beyond the Law. Theyfit well. The entire bombed out town opening is cut. The language is dubbed over ridiculously. Instead of yelliong GO FUCK YOURSELF! He yells GO FLY A KITE! Cā€™mon!!!

Watched it yesterday - not a terrible one but average. I liked the assault on the fort but the beginning is a bit slow. Thereā€™s a lot of long stretches where no action takes place especially in the very beginning.

3/5

Great title, and pretty good movie too.

Everyone says that Coburn didnā€™t dub his own voice, but I just watched the trailer and it sounded like him.

There are 2 English dubs, one with Coburn one without him. The one with Coburnā€™s voice is a shorter one.

Speaking of Coburn, I heard he had some problems with Valerii. Specifically the script. Valerii had evey cast member sign their signatures on the script saying not to change it but Coburn was upset with the script despite his signing and Valerii just showed him his signature.

Also heard Savalas got a little upset with Coburnā€™s activities on set mostly his constant tai chi or yoga practises that interupted filming. Apparently Coburn didnā€™t care for the film.

Interesting stuff.

A letdown i must say. For the 2/3 of its running time almost nothing happens and in the end it makes a lot of rather silly noise. Average for me.

Iā€™ve seen it on German and/or French television a few times, but probably never A-Z. I tend to fall asleep during this film.
I guess the version I saw (saw I-V) was cut, but I found it so incredibly dull that I didnā€™t care to look for a longer version

Not a great surprise

I wonder if this is at all related to Coburnā€™s voice not being on the longer dub? Where did you hear about this Korano?

It was in an article on the Spaghetti Western retrospective. Some blog but Iā€™ve forgotten its name

Finally having seen this flick in the serious German dub I should regard myself as a lucky bastard. Nevertheless this movie disappointed me a bit.

The film conatains a whole lot ingredients for a great movie (setting, cast & crew) but Valerii completely fails in using these resources.
The most important thing is that he isnā€™t able to tell a story. He only somehow arranges the actors in scenes somehow fitted together. A good example is the beginning. Here the viewer doesnā€™t know whatā€™s going on for quite a while.

Valerii also fails in creating the characters. Pembroke could be an interesting figure (a man who suffered both from losing his son and his honor, a man on a secret revenge mission), but the character only lives from the fact that it is impersonated by Mr Coburn (although it is a quite uninspired version of Mr Coburn).
The same counts for Mr Savalas. His role could also be a quite attractive one (cynical, sadistic badass villain), but he only walks around in his office a couple of times and thatā€™s it! OK his death scene in quite interesting.

All in all 3/5. Today my disappointment has colled down a bit. Yesterday it might have been only 2/5ā€¦