A Reason to Live, a Reason to Die / Una ragione per vivere e una per morire (Tonino Valerii, 1972)

Thanks Stanton.
I have not seen it in quite some time, but I do remember the start of Ben & Charlie where George Eastman is waiting outside a fortress for Giuliano Gemma to be relaesed from prison. I could not recall if it was the same structure.
El Condor must have been a big budget flop. Building this ā€œfortā€ must have been really expensive. IMDB seems to call it ā€œTexas Hollywood-Fort Bravoā€. Iā€™ve never seen El Condor, was the structure called Fort Bravo in El Condor?
Thanks again

Watched this a couple of weeks ago on the wild east disc, i know itā€™s a different version of the film but iā€™ve never seen it like this, i thought it was ok but found it strange that Coburn was dubbed!

I forgot about Coburn and his real voice in the Wild East version pretty much earlier on in the film.

[quote=ā€œRomaine Fielding, post:21, topic:468ā€]Thanks Stanton.
I have not seen it in quite some time, but I do remember the start of Ben & Charlie where George Eastman is waiting outside a fortress for Giuliano Gemma to be relaesed from prison. I could not recall if it was the same structure.
El Condor must have been a big budget flop. Building this ā€œfortā€ must have been really expensive. IMDB seems to call it ā€œTexas Hollywood-Fort Bravoā€. Iā€™ve never seen El Condor, was the structure called Fort Bravo in El Condor?
Thanks again[/quote]

Oh, that was long ago, I donā€™t remember anything about the film, except that it was an average actioner.

Ha, ha thatā€™s why itā€™s a ā€œforgetableā€ western.

I enjoyed this movie. A few things were a little unclear but, all in all, a decent SW.

I love this one but what really urked me was that James Coburnā€™s voice is dubbed in the WE version of it. He has such a cool voice and it is ruined by some young guy.

After rewatching My Name Is Nobody I also tried again A Reason to live ā€¦ , which was also directed by Valerii and scripted by Ernesto Gastaldi (and Valerii).

So many SWs have improved with further viewings, this one is still a weak film. Best described by the word unimaginative, which is the rule in this film not the exception.
How could it happen that these 2 routiniers created such a lame work?

I donā€™t think itā€™s a bad movie; not top but one of the best made in the 70s.

for my taste the ā€œFort Holmanā€ part should be shorter, on the other hand the ā€œroadā€ to the fort should be longer (to get more conflicts inside the group, more incidents like this one with the family ā€¦).
so itā€™s right that this movie seemed a little bit weak-minded ā€¦ the sad/hopeless atmosphere all around the war get lost due to the long sequence of the capture of fort-holman.
although I have the (uncut) wild east disc, the movie still looks unfinished for me ā€¦

somewhere I read - maybe imdb or ofdb - that there would be exist an alternative end, in which Coburn commits suicide ā€¦ does anybody know something about that?
I would prefer such an end.

Donā€™t know of any alternate ending but I really like this film. Great finale.

All time favourite!
Unfortunately Iā€™ve got a Spanish version, as usually it doesnā€™t have original audio or subtitles.

[quote=ā€œmwaf, post:28, topic:468ā€]I donā€™t think itā€™s a bad movie; not top but one of the best made in the 70s.

somewhere I read - maybe imdb or ofdb - that there would be exist an alternative end, in which Coburn commits suicide ā€¦ does anybody know something about that?
I would prefer such an end.[/quote]

Iā€™ve got 2 versions of this but I think one is just a cut of the other - Iā€™ll check, but I reckon they have the same ending. I remember Savalas getting his dribbly death cut short in one of them which is a shame, as it is one of the best in the genre ā€¦ maybe only Silence and Milianā€™s in the Bounty Killer being better.

Sorry - both the same ending and no ā€˜extrasā€™ on the discs. Oneā€™s a shitty pan n scan running at 88 mins, tā€™other is widescreen with scadinavian? (sorry again that my languages are so bad) subs - running for a much improved 111 mins.
Good film - due another watch before I give my rating.

Joe Hembus described this suicide end in his Western Lexikon.

In all probability only an error due to a wrong memory.

It wasnā€™t a waste of time to watch this one but it was pretty disappointing. Not a lot of originality here, little character development, no surprises in the plot. Too bad, it could have been a lot better.

If you like Coburn, then he is never bad. I like Coburn.

But this canā€™t save a film which gives me the impression that none of the people involved had any interest in this film. They had probably a slightly larger budget, but the screenplay and the directing are mostly hopelessly uninspired.

Well, there are a few good moments, but there are also too much surprisingly dull moments. The whole long part when they enter the fortress is so ridiculous conceived that I never know should I cry or laugh.
The then following action scenes are at best routine, but often are also only dull.

I donā€™t know what went wrong, but it surely was a lot.

I transfered this from the ā€œlast westernā€ thread.

Maybe we can discuss a bit about the different enough opinions to this film.

Lordradish is surprised that people dislike RtL,RtD
Iā€™m surprised that people really could like it

It seems for both of us the surprise is, that we are so sure about the flaws or merits respectiveley, that the opposite view is not understandable.

Yes, Coburn is one of the best points of this film and itā€™s a pitty that Savalas screentime is so short.

@Stanton: I canā€™t understand your impression with the involved people ā€¦!?
I think the acting is ok and the directing of Valerii is ok too.

here I have to agree. but such compareable things you can see in many other SWs.
the only thing I really donā€™t like at the entering part, that it is too long.

Iā€™m not really a fan of such big action scenes - I prefer more long duels or sudden eruption of violence - so here I donā€™t have any real opinion if good or bad, itā€™s ok ā€¦ Iā€™ve already seen much more worse action scenes.

all in all I think itā€™s a good SW, not top, because it could be much better - with Valerii as director and Coburn and Savalas as main actors it should be a better movie.
so I can understand, that this movie could be a disappointment.

this movie is very atmospheric and I like the epic style.
there are some realy nice ideas; for example it is somewhat surprising that not all ā€œhangdogsā€ say yes to Pembrokeā€™s offer.
or the scene in that little town, when Bud Spencer shouts the myth, that the war is over - maybe for some people also dull, during watchin the first time for me too - but after rewatching I changed; it is so absurd but it shows in such a simple manner that the people canā€™t wait until the warā€™s end.

otherwise in some parts the story is too uneven - I mentioned it before that it looks unfinished for me. during watching, Iā€™ve always the impression, that there are some scenes missing.
for example: thereā€™s the nice scene, where we see the station of the confederates (here I always await something special will happen)ā€¦ but next we see Pembroke and his men running out of the tunnel ā€¦ and the next scene we see them waiting for the sended ā€œscoutā€.
maybe the budget was finished due to the explosive showdown ā€¦?

so, Iā€™ve to say that I can understand both sides, liking and disliking.
for me the good moments outbalance the ā€œnot so good momentsā€, because the good moments are really good! and without the few failings it could be a top 20 (?) ā€¦

But Savalas is terrible. Another quote from me copied from the ā€œlast westernā€ thread:

ā€œLook at Telly Savalas, does he do anything? Only standing around with hanging arms like heā€™s waiting for some acting instructions, but becomes nothing. Never seen him so dull. But so is the complete film.ā€

Except for his death scene he was completely wasted.

@Stanton: I can't understand your impression with the involved people ...!? I think the acting is ok and the directing of Valerii is ok too.
I don't think so. The acting is generally weak. Coburn is only not bad because he can't be bad in any film as I already had explained above. His character is as flat as the film and he does only what he was used to do. He seemed not very interested to give more than necessary.

You have used the word ā€œunfinishedā€, which is a perfect word to describe the screenplay. Nearly everything in this film seems to be unfinished or undeveloped or inlogical or (concerning the few good ideas) not connected with the rest of the film.

If I define that Leone was the creative force behind My Name is Nobody, than I would say that Valerii is not a good director. Heā€™s a routinier at best, and even his best western Day of Anger lacks the necessary style to make more out of it than a good film.

And A Reason to Live is badly directed. Mostly uninspired the directing often makes an helpless impression to me. This is way below Valeriiā€™s 3 previous genre contributions. He was a good enough director in these SWs, but he always had his limits.

I have seen another film from him named Sahara Cross which was also very bad.

this movie is very atmospheric and I like the epic style.

Here we have again a completely different view. I couldnā€™t spot any interesting atmosphere and also no epic style. This is surely not an epic film as it uses history only as an interchangeable background for a (simple) action adventure.

there are some realy nice ideas; for example it is somewhat surprising that not all "hangdogs" say yes to Pembroke's offer. or the scene in that little town, when Bud Spencer shouts the myth, that the war is over - maybe for some people also dull, during watchin the first time for me too - but after rewatching I changed; it is so absurd but it shows in such a simple manner that the people can't wait until the war's end.

otherwise in some parts the story is too uneven - I mentioned it before that it looks unfinished for me. during watching, Iā€™ve always the impression, that there are some scenes missing.
for example: thereā€™s the nice scene, where we see the station of the confederates (here I always await something special will happen)ā€¦ but next we see Pembroke and his men running out of the tunnel ā€¦ and the next scene we see them waiting for the sended ā€œscoutā€.
maybe the budget was finished due to the explosive showdown ā€¦?

Well, yes there are a few ideas, itā€™s not a Fidani.
The one prisoner who preferred to be hanged was the best moment in the film. At this point I had a rest of hope that this would be another SW which wasnā€™t as a bad as I remembered it. But thereafter the film paves its way down.

Pembroke shooing away their horses so that they have to go by foot is another ridiculous idea and a terrible scene.
The ā€œwar is overā€ scene was not good enough directed to make forget how silly this idea was.
The good scene at the farm was out of place for me, as this sequence doesnā€™t fit with the rest of the film.

And the 2nd half of the film is even worser.

No, Iā€™m really sorry that so less in this film works, as there was enough potential for a good actioner.

Haha, reading it again, it seems as we were talking about 2 different films.

After the recent discussion on this film I thought it was overdue a rewatching. I remebered it quite fondly and was surprised at all the negative comments. Having rewatched it. Iā€™m still surprised. Itā€™s no masterpiece but is a whole lot better than many and is a solid 3 star spaghetti for my money.

However, I wonder if peopleā€™s opinions are shaped in some part by the version they see. I, like the Rev, have two very different versions. One which I taped off the TV in New Zealand some years ago which is full screen and heavily cut, the other a DVD-r from a Danish (I think) VHS in widescreen and which runs for about 112 minutes. (Considerably longer than the theatrical release as far as I can tell) This is the version with Coburn dubbed by an alternate voice actor. I found the wrong voice for Coburn annoying but apart from that the longer version was a much better film. I became intrigued by the differences in the two versions though (I am a geek after all) and scanned through both to see what had been cut and changed. The differences are quite large.

The shorter version misses about twenty minutes from the beginning where Spencer and Coburn first meet and get arrested for looting. It also misses the ā€˜pissingā€™ scene mentioned earlier as well as a couple of the slightly more graphic killings and f word language. But it also includes a few shots which help make sense of some of the gaps which make the long version seem jumpy. For example, you actually see the team riding in the train before running out of the tunnel. It also, in my opinion, has a better score. The music used in these two versions is very different and the shorter version has a more spaghetti vibe to it with electric guitar etc. So I wonder whether what is wrong with the film has little to do with Valerii at all but more about a third partyā€™s decisions as to how the film should be presented. For me, a combination of the two versions based predominantly on the longer one would equal a pretty good film as a whole.

One last thing. I also noticed that during the seige of the fort towards the end my shorter version is printed in reverse for about 15 minutes. I guess youā€™d have to see both together to notice it but there is one sequence when Spencer runs across the courtyard of the fort and the sign which reads ā€˜companyā€™ on the wall behind him is back to front. Now how the heck did that happen? ???

My version is the german 118min, which is believed to be uncut, but it seems there are longer versions available.

I saw the film for the 1st time in the shitty german heavily cut comedy dub version. Surprisingly the longer version with the straight dub didnā€™t improve anything.

I there a version which starts with the last scene?

Yes, my shorter version does. It opens with Coburn and Spencer standing amongst the carnage and Spencer says ā€™ I killed for the first time todayā€™ etc. It then has a rolling type narrative starter running over the picture setting up the personal feud storyline before going to the credits and then into the scene where Coburn and Spencer arrive at the Union army prison / fort.