A Minute to Pray, a Second to Die / Un minuto per pregare, un istante per morire (Franco Giraldi, 1968)

[quote=“Garko Forever, post:39, topic:271”]THE MERCENARIES / DARK OF THE SUN is an excellent movie on all counts!! Couldn’t agree with you more, Sartana Django. I think any SW fan would find plenty to like about it![/quote][quote=“scherpschutter, post:40, topic:271”]Right.

THE MERCENARIES/DARK OF THE SUN or, as it was called in Belgium (understandable if you know or colonial past) LAST TRAIN TO KATANGA is a great, violent, exciting war movie.

And yes, most SW fans will find plenty to like about it.
Spaghetti westerns, at least the gritty ones, were typical products of the era they were made in, the sixties, and so is this film.
I won’t say it has a SW feeling, but the tough action and the cynical (anti-)heroes certainly are in the SW league.

Highly recommended ![/quote]

Thank you both Scherp and Garko Forever I love the MERCENARIES 1968 so much
and ROD TAYLOR’s performance especially, that every time it comes on TV/Satellite I watch it again like it even more and can now remember many fabulous scenes by heart, the fight between Rod Taylor and Peter Carsten, the cruelty of war :o
That is what a WAR Film is all about and made in 1968.
Katanga is indeed the town mentioned in the MERCENARIES 1968 which is set
in the Belgian Congo. The bond between a white mercenary Capt Curry( ROD TAYLOR )and a black Mercenary Rufo ( JIM BROWN) is portrayed magnificently in the film and sends a great message for race relations/humanity.
After Rufo ( Jim Brown) is slaughtered (back bayoneted) by evil Peter Carsten it is Capt Curry ROD TAYLOR that goes after Carsten risking his own life to avenge his fallen friend
Unforgettable scenes.

PS> I am also a major GIANNI GARKO fan.

Have seen it many years ago.

Can’t agree with you guys, I remember The Mercenaries at best as slightly above average.

And Apocalypse Now was always a favourite of mine, in both versions.

The Redux version adds some great scenes, but this surfboard robbing thing shouldn’t be in the film.

Interestingly the longer version doesn’t feel longer!

ALEX CORD star of A MINUTE TO PRAY 1968 also starred in STILETTO 1969.

Apocalypse Now 1979 is a full 153 minutes or 2 Hours 33 minutes wasted on what could have taken 25 minutes as a short story telling of a minor Vietnam incident with a
mad colonel being rounded up by a slightly less mad Captain. Is that "exciting " ??? :’(
The cast is pretty much below average with Martin Sheen Ok, Forrest/Bottoms mediocre
and Brando mumbling away in yet another wooden/sleep walking film “performance”.
The only Marlon Brando Films where he seems efficient are :
NIGHTCOMBERS 1971 , SOUTHWEST TO SONORA/APPALOOSA 1966 , VIVA ZAPATA 1952 and maybe In Last Tango In Paris 1973 as he slips butter into Schneider :’(

I think Ennio, Scherp, Garko Forever and myself have got it SPOT ON on the MERCENARIES 1968
it is a film that needs to be seen RECENTLY and OFTEN to appreciate the characters/plot :smiley:

Ennio was not keen on Apocalypse Now 1979. Who would be ? :wink:

Well SD will have to look out for THE MERCENARIES, as sounds decent :).

Yes Ennio Great Minds Think Alike :wink: The MERCENARIES 1968 has many SW qualities.

That was probably my favourite part of the movie haha. I loved Robert Duvall’s “Smell of victory” line.

I will have to check out mercenaries though.

Tried that with the girlfriend one time. Can’t say we liked it though.

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:43, topic:271”][b]

Apocalypse Now 1979 is a full 153 minutes or 2 Hours 33 minutes wasted on what could have taken 25 minutes as a short story telling of a minor Vietnam incident with a
mad colonel being rounded up by a slightly less mad Captain. Is that "exciting " ??? :’(
The cast is pretty much below average with Martin Sheen Ok, Forrest/Bottoms mediocre
and Brando mumbling away in yet another wooden/sleep walking film “performance”.
The only Marlon Brando Films where he seems efficient are :
NIGHTCOMBERS 1971 , SOUTHWEST TO SONORA/APPALOOSA 1966 , VIVA ZAPATA 1952 and maybe In Last Tango In Paris 1973 as he slips butter into Schneider :’(

Ennio was not keen on Apocalypse Now 1979. Who would be ? ;)[/quote]

giggle giggle giggle

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:43, topic:271”]Apocalypse Now 1979 is a full 153 minutes or 2 Hours 33 minutes wasted on what could have taken 25 minutes as a short story telling of a minor Vietnam incident with a
mad colonel being rounded up by a slightly less mad Captain. Is that "exciting " ??? :'([/quote]

Yes

Me

Phil :slight_smile: we fully understand and support your right to like “Apocalypse Now” all 153m :wink:
But talking of Vietnam Films THE GREEN BERETS 1968
John Wayne David Janssen and a magnificent BALLAD by Sgt Barry sadler was heaven :smiley:

Stanton we laugh, giggle, clash on Films and your comedy skills are developing :D[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:46, topic:271”]Last Tango In paris 1973 Marlon Brando inserts Butter into Maria Schneider :o ;D I said

Tried that with the girlfriend one time. Can’t say we liked it though. (Col DM said)[/quote]

Col DM the whole forum has a mental picture of the scene you tried once :wink: :smiley:

[quote=“stanton, post:26, topic:271”]135 min, that’s really a long Spaghetti.

This japanese version, does it have english audio?[/quote]

Yes, the Japanese TV version does have English audio.

Love to see this version ;D.

In a way that’s true but I guess you’re, uh, missing the point as the final irony (it’s more irony than tragedy) is that Cord’s death is just useless, with no blood money going for the bounty killers who didn’t know he was just pardoned. Not so much the triumph of bad guys as a no-win situation for everyone concerned. I’ve grown fond of this resolution and have avoided the MGM release knowing it stops short. There seems to be a record number of different edits out and I’d love to know more about how they differ.

1 Like

ALEX CORD is an Actor who made so many EXCELLENT Classic SWs/Thrillers.

I especially Liked ALEX CORD In :

SCORPIO LETTERS 1967 Shirley eaton
STAGECOACH 1967 Ann Margret
BROTHERHOOD 1968 Kirk Douglas (Mafia Film 100 Times Better than Godfather)
A MINUTE TO PRAY 1968 Nicoletta Macchiavelli
STILETTO 1969 Britt Ekland

Sure…

Has anybody else got this 118 min version? Or tried to get a copy from Mannaja?

I have the MGM version but I want to see the unhappy ending. I wish the ending was unhappy because I hated the Alex Cord character. He is almost like a Heathcliff in Wuthering heights, in the way he brings everybody down who tries to help him, from his partner at the beginning, to the salesman who saves him, to the girl, to arthur kennedy’s Marshall. Its rediculous how Robert Ryan, the doctor, and arthur kennedy risk their necks to help this ingrate who needs to be knocked out by Ryan to be convinced that he is really getting amnesty. On top of that he asks for a bunch of money to go along with amnesty. What an ass. Overall a very unlikeable protagonist.

The film itself was decent though. I loved Robert Ryan in this. Alex Cord was good too, even though I hated the character he played, Clay McCord.

I thought the music was lackluster though.

Good points, Colonel. I wondered at the end if he was going to be such an ingrate that after he got cured he would forget about the amnesty and continue with the outlaw life.

Robert Ryan stole the show here…really a good touch for the governor to be a down to earth guy that doesn’t mind throwing fists and is a good shot to boot.

As always though, too little Nicoletta!!! >:(

Good solid flick, I will enjoy watching this one again in the future.

I saw this on encore westerns. It is pretty average. Nothing special. One of the atractions of this movie in my mind is the great american actors. I found it very spaghettiesque the fact that the governor of the new mexico territory would be involved in gunfights but I liked that aspect of it. There is a flashback scene where Cord is taughnted and then starts to literally cry like a baby. OK. :-\

If anyone would like to send any non-US versions of this film my way, I’ll happily add all cut scenes from the different versions into one edit. I currently have only the US version, and have been wanting to see the other ending for a while. If anyone wants to take me up on my offer, i will make the combined edit available freely

This is the version I’m looking for …

He claims it to have english audio.