A Minute to Pray, a Second to Die / Un minuto per pregare, un istante per morire (Franco Giraldi, 1968)

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:60, topic:271ā€]This is the version Iā€™m looking for ā€¦

He claims it to have english audio.[/quote]

I did P.M him over this but no reply.

Me too. Good luck on your quest Brother.

You can get the german version from me. Itā€™s good quality in 1,33:1, but in open matte. Apart from the end there is at minimum one more scene which isnā€™t featured on the MGM disc. I havenā€™t compared the whole film.

Ok, now I have contact to someone who has the 118 min version, but ā€¦ but heā€™s only willing to trade it against VHS tapes.

Anyone of the germans (or non-germans) has one of these to give away:

ā€œim only interested in vhs tapes at the moment. thre are some special tapes, the avaria releases of the gojko mitic movies, ufa releaes, mike hunter/mondail, and these from toppic: kopfgeld fĆ¼r ringo - tƶte ringo tƶte - ay ay sheriff and some vps releases, silwa: western jack, zorro und sein lusteren madchens (?), arcade hardbox, and ofcours rare releases.ā€

Please contact me.

My guess is you wonā€™t find any tape collector whoā€™ll let go of their ā€˜preciousā€™ to get virtually nothing in return. Perhaps youā€™ll get lucky on ebay. Those Toppics are not uncommon there and sometimes go for ā‚¬10 - ā‚¬15.

But it all seems too much to go through for a, in my opion, slightly above average spaghetti western. Canā€™t the guy just make a copy?

He can, but he doesnā€™t. He is not so generous in these things, otherwise he is a funny guy.

The other way round I would give it him for free.

But the film is for me probably top 20 material in a long version, and Autephex will cut it together with the MGM disc.

If the tapes can be located used on something like ebay, Iā€™d be willing to sacrifice a few dollars more to get this goingā€¦ I doubt Iā€™d be able to get ahold of them on my side, here in the US, since they seem to all be German VHS tapes

I might be able to get a copy in digital format of 1 of the titles, but Iā€™m guessing heā€™s only interested in an actual tape

if anyone interested happens across one of said tapes, let me know and i can maybe paypal some $ over or something to help get ahold of it, depending upon how much is being asked

iā€™ve been really curious about an uncut version of this film for a while and would be awesome to get one sorted

iā€™ll do some looking as well around the netā€¦

watched this again last night and itā€™s years since iā€™d seen it. liked it a lot on first viewing and it is high in my top twenty. on watching it again still love it, as already mentioned on this forum it does have a different approach for a spaghetti and yes it does have an amercian feel to it but it has many good, bleak moments and the bleak, ironic ending is in my opinon second only to " The Great Silence". good film.

I had a second viewing of it last night (early this morning) and I enjoyed it. Robert Ryan was excellent and Alex Cord played the pain in ass outlaw well. This is a good companion piece to Corbucciā€™s work as well. I will definitely be watching it again as I quite liked it.

I liked this one a lot. Nice un SW score a lots of brutality. A good view for sure.

This is one I really enjoy. A solid film on all counts.

I have seen both versions of itā€¦and I have to tell you guysā€¦the one with the downbeat ending is very good. I really prefer that ending. BUTā€¦I wouldnā€™t call that version UNCUT!
True, there are things in it that arenā€™t in the MGM version on DVD; but, there are things in the MGM version that arenā€™t in the ā€œlongerā€ version, as well.
It is very confusing and frustrating!

There is a scene in the MGM DVD version where Alex Cord walks up to a guy and says, ā€œYou were looking for a laughā€¦well maybe this will tickle youā€¦ā€ and he puts the gun up to the guys head, pulls the triggerā€¦and clickā€¦no bullets. Then, Cord starts to laugh a little maniacally.
I like this little bit as it shows the dark and twisted side of Cordā€™s character.
Well, in the so-called longer, un-cut version, that scene is missing!

That is just one example.

I love the downbeat ending of the ā€œuncutā€ version; but, personally, I like the MGM version better for everything else!
If they would just tack the original ending on to the MGM version, I would be happy.

Never seen the unhappy ending myself. donā€™t know id I would like it though. Who knows?

[quote=ā€œChris_Casey, post:72, topic:271ā€]There is a scene in the MGM DVD version where Alex Cord walks up to a guy and says, ā€œYou were looking for a laughā€¦well maybe this will tickle youā€¦ā€ and he puts the gun up to the guys head, pulls the triggerā€¦and clickā€¦no bullets. Then, Cord starts to laugh a little maniacally.
I like this little bit as it shows the dark and twisted side of Cordā€™s character.
Well, in the so-called longer, un-cut version, that scene is missing!

That is just one example.[/quote]

This is one of the best scenes of the film and itā€™s odd that itā€™s missing from the 118 min version.

Chris, have you spotted more examples than this one (or two if we want to be precise) scenes?

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:74, topic:271ā€]This is one of the best scenes of the film and itā€™s odd that itā€™s missing from the 118 min version.

Chris, have you spotted more examples than this one (or two if we want to be precise) scenes?[/quote]

Not as of yet, amigo. I plan on rewatching both versions at some point today, though.

Spoiler Alert
Recently received a copy of this with the ā€˜unhappyā€™ ending which I had wanted to see for some time.

In my opinion I can see why it was cut out. And not just to create a happy end. The unhappy end has some terrific stuff in it and is truly brutal but is played out far too long and is far too wordy, with the two bounty killers gabbing on for no good reason at all. For me this was a great opportunity missed. Once Cord has been filled with lead all that is needed is for the bounty killers to search him, pull out the amnesty document, throw it down and leave. No dialogue. Just the sound of wind and sand blowing around his corpse and Fine. What we get is actually quite clumsily done I think and diminishes the impact of the downbeat conclusion to the film.

I wonā€™t be watching the whole film through on this version as it is a pretty nasty fullscreen rip. I just wanted to see the alternate ending. What we need for this film is not a completely uncut version but one that is cut well to maximise its many strengths and lose some of its weaknesses.

I found that the ā€œuncutā€ version of this I was given really only runs about 115 minutes, plus a few seconds. So, the scenes I was bemoaning the loss of were likely in the 118 minute version.
Apart from the ending, there is a little scene between two men in a trading post near the beginning of the film that is not in the MGM version. Otherwise, I didnā€™t notice anything extra.

I happen to agree with Phil on this. Like I said before, if we could just have the MGM version with the unhappy ending tacked on this would be perfect.
I also agree with Phil that the unhappy ending goes on too long and should be trimmed up a bit.

All in all, though, I really like this film a lot.
I donā€™t think Giraldiā€™s films get enough attention.

I donā€™t know how much versions of the long version are meanwhile floating around, but I know about 2.

1. From Japanese TV with Japanese subs. This must have a NTSC runtinme of 118 min.

2. A british one from a recent TV broadcasts with a Pal length of about 113 min (= 118 theatrical). Itā€™s fullscreen, but unfortunately not open matte, which would be ok. And the colors are a bit pale.

The MGM DVD (98 NTSC) has a much better picture quality than #2 and it contains directly after the credits 2 scenes with a runtime of more than 3 min. So the longer version contains at the least 23 extra min.

There was a guy named Mannaja who claimed according to this Jap. version the MGM contains so much extra material that the complete runtime must be more than 130 min.
Well, Iā€™ve only spotted these 3 min in my version, so Iā€™m intersted to get the Jap. one too to check if itā€™s true.
Well, and Aute wants to make a ā€œSpecial Editionā€ of all material.

So if someone else has this Jap. version, please send it to Aute or me.

Contrary to Phil and Chris I see no problem in the length of the ending and itā€™s dialogues. It fits the film very well imo.

Interestingly even in this longer version the film still makes a cut impression.

This missing scene from the MGM disc is btw one of the best scenes of the film, and itā€™s pretty odd that the long version doesnā€™t has it.

Edit:

I have just realised that Chris had already written about this a few posts above above. He also describes the missing scene.

Yes, we will get this complete version of the film together :slight_smile: So like Stanton said, if anyone can help out with the elusive Japanese versionā€¦