A Man Called Django / W Django! (Edoardo Mulargia, 1971)

Let me correct myself, there are no machine gun coffins in ā€œThe Mercenaryā€ or ā€œCompanerosā€ but both films contain scenes where Nero is running around like a mad man with a machine gun. While there may not be a widespread use of coffins containing machine guns, it has happened enough for me think its pretty obvious as viewer as to what the coffin contains.

The use of machine guns, coffin or not, is certainly prevalent and I find it to be a little overdone. I donā€™t mind seeing Django or The Swede wasting hundreds of baddies with a machine gun but it seems like this happens in almost every film I watch. It could just be a Corbucci thing though, Iā€™m not sure. I probably shouldnā€™t be making generalizations of the genre as Iā€™ve only seen about 9 or 10 non-Leone spaghettis and the majority of them were done by the other Sergio.

The Zapata westerns do love their machine guns, but I donā€™t think the ordinary spaghetti have nearly as much statistically. Personally, either way it doesnā€™t bug me, the machine gun is just another weapon to me.

[quote=ā€œDollarsDollarsBills, post:57, topic:162ā€]Iā€™m not sure how to put spoiler tags so Iā€™ll just say this post contains some MAJOR SPOILERS. For those who havenā€™t seen it, SPOILER ALERT.

I gave it 2 stars. Itā€™s a mediocre western, plain and simple. Entertaining enough, sure, but the character Garcia was ridiculous. Itā€™s like they tried to make him this interesting, dynamic character but ended up just making him look bipolar.

And another thing, what is the deal with the whole ā€œmachine-gun-in-a-coffinā€ plot twist? It was cool in ā€œDjangoā€ but it seems like it happens in almost every non-Leone western. Corbucci uses it in pretty much every movie. Itā€™s unbelievable. In the final scene when heā€™s digging the grave and Davidā€™s gang starts to surround hime I was just waiting for Terence Hill to open up the coffin and pull out a machine gun. And sure enough, he busts it out shoots everyone to shit. ā€œDjangoā€ and ā€œThe Mercenaryā€ were about the only ones where I actually enjoyed it, now Iā€™m just watching every movie expecting someone to whip a machine gun out of nowhere.[/quote]

I think you got the films mixed up. You are referring to another film, Django Preparati La Bara (1968) aka Viva Django, aka Man called Django, aka Django prepare a coffin, starring Terrence Hill.

This thread is for the film W Django (1971) aka Viva Django aka Man called Django starring Anthony Steffen.

[quote=ā€œCol. Douglas Mortimer, post:63, topic:162ā€]I think you got the films mixed up. You are referring to another film, Django Preparati La Bara (1968) aka Viva Django, aka Man called Django, aka Django prepare a coffin, starring Terrence Hill.

This thread is for the film W Django (1971) aka Viva Django aka Man called Django starring Anthony Steffen.[/quote]

Oh, I see. My mistake haha.

Upps, I didnā€™t realise either that we are in the wrong thread. Now I know why I couldnā€™t remember a MG scene in W Django.

But as Viva Django was supposed to be an official sequel (or prequel) of Django, and Nero was originally supposed to play the role, it is not a great surprise that this film also contains a MG out of a coffin scene.

You should have read my last post, which is only one post beyond your last post, before you quote my stupid posts from the last decade.

(but it seems I was bored when I first watched it and entertained when I re-watched it)

I had no problem with this Spag, its at least filmed in good style, but the story is a bit boring and annoyingly predictable, well it at least could be predictable but not boring. In any case Steffen has this problem for me, with the exception of Django the Bastard (and maybe one or two others), he just ainā€™t got the looks/grinta of the kind of guy who can wipe out an all Mexican Army detachment like he did in this film.
And by that Iā€™m getting to one of the problems I had with this film, the body count was high, but in a stupid Rambo style way, also the actor who played Carranza (A true character during The Mexican Revolution) really tried to look like Wallach, (perhaps the English dub helped that), then we got the car and Mexican Revolution story setting, well to me it looked like a plain XIX cowboy story set after 1870, they should had effort a little bit more on creating a zapata feeling, if they wanted to do a Zapata SW.
Yeah all bad things till now, OK the action is well packed and like I said before its well filmed, the score was also very good, and also liked the introduction. In conclusion not great had the feeling they could have done better, but it was entertaining enough to watch, at least for the next 5 years or so.

P.S. The Django thing didnā€™t work out for me in this one, you must conquer the right to be called DJANGO

Wdjango! looks more like ā€˜death rides a horseā€™ rather than a django original

The woman in the framed photo could be Ida Galli/Evelyn Stewart, but the younger actress in the pre-credits sequence is uncredited and unidentified.

The girl could be Angela Covello (left, on the right Djangoā€™s wife), what do you think?

Donā€™t think so myself, the girl on the right has more pouty lips, the nose looks slightly different and itā€™s hard to tell but I think her cheekbones are higher also.

Thatā€™s Ida Galli on the right for sure.

Here are two pics of Ida Galli in 1971, judge for yourselfā€¦

The girl on the right is not Ida Galli, the shape of the face is different, Galli has a Greek face (form of a heart), the girl on the right has a ā€˜longā€™ face, more right angled.
The nose also seems different and the chin (of the girl on the right) is more protruding

Yes agree about the face. Looking at the forehead and chin for example they are different.

Not a bad one, if you donā€™t expect much you might get surprised. Some one-liners are actually funny. Plot is there, if you donā€™t mind borrowing from many more famous sources.
And Piero Umilianiā€™s score is first class.

W Django! is the epitome of b-spag that can give you an hour 1/2 of entertaining.Steffen is in his good standards as usual.Also Carranza and Jeff are very good in their roles as bandits.The movie has an element from ā€˜ā€˜For a Few Dollars Moreā€™ā€™ I talk about the music box and its meaning at the end.Slimy characters in a dirty city and the main character kills with some inventive and funny ways.Also I like Piero Umilianiā€™s music score is great.What else?

A very hesitant 3 stars, more like a 2.5. Some great music, a pretty cool flashback/revenge plot line and the film looks nice but most of the ā€œcomedyā€ is just awful. The booby trap style shoot outs are seriously cringe-worthy. Steffen was alright though and the villains were pretty good. I was reasonably entertained, thats all I can ask for I guess.

Had a nice ostā€¦

Who knows about the official soundtrack of this?
i couldā€™nt findā€¦

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:39, topic:162ā€]The English version ends with a nice dialogue exchange between Django and his final victim: ā€œAdios amigoā€ and the soon to be dead answers with a fatalistic and accepting ā€œAdios gringoā€.
But in the German and Italian version he says before shooting: ā€œSorry that you can only die onceā€ and the answer is a simple ā€œmerdeā€.[/quote]

In actual fact in the Italian version Django says ā€˜Now hope that at least God may forgive youā€™, so Carranzaā€™s answer and the highly irreverent spit in the hanging scene are a fine pair.

[hr]

The DB page needs corrections, we have not present Custer Gail as Doug and - crazy but true - Ida Galli asā€¦ Djangoā€™s henchman! Candelliā€™s right-hand man is played by an actor unidentified until now, that is fight arranger and stunt coordinator Sergio Sagnotti, nicknamed ā€˜punch masterā€™.

Below we see him - clockwise - in W Django!, with Fernando Bilbao in Apocalypse Joe, in Brother Outlaw and finally in Cjamango together with Ivan Rassimov.

[/url]

Heā€™s also in Why Go on Killing? but I havenā€™t checked his role because my copy is significantly cut and with obscene image quality.

According to Italian page on Wikipedia he was also fight arranger on The Grand Duel and lesser actor in the ā€œMan with No Nameā€ trilogy, Death Rides a Horse, Once Upon a Time in the West and A Fistful of Dynamite, but this must be verified.

[url=http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergio_Sagnotti]http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergio_Sagnotti[url]http://postimage.org/[/url]