A Long Ride from Hell / Vivo per la tua morte (Camillo Bazzoni, 1968)

Thanks for the caps ecc, as I of course expected the Code Red is of better quality. Iā€™m a bit bothered by the cropping though even if it is very minimal and might be supposed to be like that. Or maybe 1.66:1 would be closer to what it is supposed to be.

The film would have been masked to 1.85:1 in US theaters. I think the rights holders probably went off of Cinerama Releasingsā€™ info when they did the transfer (LONG RIDE FROM HELL is from the Cinerama catalog, the Italian licensor does not hold the US rights). Also 1.78:1 is closer to 16:9 and companies with catalogs of lesser known movies are probably more concerned with making their product look attractive for HD sales (TV and BluRay) than representing them as originally intended (you know, people might think theyā€™re getting cheated if they see side mattesā€¦). Even in Italy, Filmexport has cropped several 1.66:1 films to 1.78:1 for their 16:9 masters. What is the framing on the 01 disc (I know the scope films were supposed to have been cropped to 4:3 1.85:1)?

Iā€™m not exactly sure about this, but this is a ā€œPanoramicoā€ film, and I think the correct AR for all Panoramico films is 1,66:1. And on VHS or in the 4:3 days of television all these films were showed in 1,66:1.

But nowadays with the 16:9 TV (= 1,78:1) it seems that nearly all of these films are masked for an 1,85:1 AR.
Koch does this also. I wouldnā€™t wonder if further DVD releases of Django will also be presented in this AR.
In fact it doesnā€™t make a great difference. At least not as different as 2;35:1 to 1,85:1, which is also not too bad.
And I think they look in 1,85:1 better than in an open matte 1,33:1 AR, in which they in former days also very often were shown.

The only real worse thing is to see a 2,35:1 film in the 1,33:1 full screen format. That looks really shitty.

Have converted some 1.33 AVI files in the past to 1.85 and have been pleased with the results.

I feel like selling my wildeast copy and getting the code red.

Often do a similar thing myself.

I mean I rather give my money to the people who actually bought the rights to the film.

I was asked to write another review of the film for DVD Drive-In[url]http://dvddrive-in.com/reviews/i-m/longridefromhell68.htm[/url].

Some screen snaps from the really nice Code Red disc :-

Looks terrific - thanks for putting those up, Provvidenza.

I haveā€™nt seen this one yet, but sight unseen i feel sorry for the horse that Steve Reeves rides! (there was that quote about the musclemen from the sword and sandal pictures photographing like ā€œheavy cruisersā€) hence the scarcity of films featuring them (although Gordon Mitchell seemed to be in quite a lotā€¦). A performance by a muscleman I think is alright is "Alan Steel"in ā€œFasthand is still my Nameā€, I know people will laugh at this choice , but the pained look in his eyes, whether accidental or not is quite poignant as Bergers gang spit at him and put him through the millā€¦ I dont know if he did any other spaghettis (the other day i picked up ā€œHercules vs the Moonmenā€, and hes not bad in thatā€¦ sorry to go off topic here . It would have been good to see Reeves pick up a large tree trunk, and throw it at the bad guys in a spaghetti (for old times sakeā€¦)

Watched this one this morning after having it on the pile for a while.

Pretty much agree with most of whatā€™s been said above. It is very much a ā€˜Western by numbersā€™ in as much as every scene seems to follow an archetype youā€™ve seen before but, despite that, (and letā€™s be fair a lot of genre films do this) it works fine and is a respectable, middle of the road effort in general with some nice moments here and there. Actually I was surprised by how well Steve Reeves seemed to fit the western persona. A lot of ex Peplum stars didnā€™t but I thought he was fine. Nello Pazzafini was the highlight for me though and would have liked to have seen more of Rosalba Neri. Canā€™t believe how often she was underutilised in these flicks.

The Code Red dvd is now oop so get it when you can.

Was debating whether to order this, but just made my mind up :slight_smile: . Thanks for the info Yodlaf. So not many people double dipped then.

Well, if Code Redā€™s DVD has sold out, it sold out.
Evidently 690-odd people bought 700 pressings, just not fast enough.
So heā€™s surely made his money back, didnā€™t he?
I could be wrong, but A Long Ride From Hell was never much in demand in the first place, was it?

Richard

Man those screenshots look greatā€¦ I dont like this one enough to double dip thoughā€¦

[quote=ā€œENNIOO, post:54, topic:1251ā€]Was debating whether to order this, but just made my mind up :slight_smile: . Thanks for the info Yodlaf. So not many people double dipped then.[/quote]I did. I wasnā€™t going to until I saw how much better it looks that the WE one.

I seem to have missed out on this one :ā€™(, does anyone know if there is a new copy for sale anywhere and could they point me in the right direction via PM or e-mail address on my website - cheers.

someone on ebay it will have it for sureā€¦

Thanks for all those who contacted me with help. :slight_smile:

My copy has just shipped from Amazon.ca and they still seem to have some in stock for anyone who wants a copy.

Not too sure about their quoted 7 week delivery, hope it gets here sooner than that (the cheaper postage option was 30-40 weeks delivery - I didnā€™t realise they still used row-boats across the Atlantic).