A Long Ride from Hell / Vivo per la tua morte (Camillo Bazzoni, 1968)

Haven’t gotten around to watching the whole interview yet but I wouldn’t be surprised if he bends the truth a little.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:20, topic:1251”]Nice to hear that you like the movie, Sebastian’s (German) review was very negative
Most things I read in some of my books, weren’t very positive either
I had already skipped the title from my wish list, but now I’m in doubt

If you have a 14:9 option, you get the right aspect ratio of the (image) of the DVD, so if it’s 1,55:1 when you choose 14:9, that’s the actual aspect ratio. I guess they used a VHS as source print.

If you use settings like ‘normal’, ‘auto’ or ‘superzoom’ (terms may differ), the image usually will be squeezed.[/quote]

Everybody’s got a right to their opinion but I personally liked this movie alot. I found Sebs review to be completely fair. But I did find “Mark’s” review on the database entry to be idiotic with some erroneous info so I deleted it. He’s done many times more damage to the database than SD ever will. The aspect ratio seemed fine when I was watching it.

Really enjoyed this western. Lots of action that worked well for me and I also thought it was directed and shot with some good spaghetti style.

The transfer was decent, but it seemed a little off somehow… I don’t know that I would call it ghosting, but the movement had a strange look/feel to it. Have not gotten to the interviews yet

This film seems good.

[quote=“autephex, post:22, topic:1251”]Really enjoyed this western. Lots of action that worked well for me and I also thought it was directed and shot with some good spaghetti style.

The transfer was decent, but it seemed a little off somehow… I don’t know that I would call it ghosting, but the movement had a strange look/feel to it. Have not gotten to the interviews yet[/quote]

Did the opposite. Viewed the interviews first, but not viewed the film yet. Had a flick through the chapters of the film and can see the movement you mention.

I’ve watch the Spanish DVD (Impulso) a couple of days ago and actually liked some ideas shown. Specially the ones shot in forced labour camp.
What I dislike is this epic muscled guy, Steve Reeves. That’s the kind of name I wouldn’t put in a spaghetti, not even for a barrel full of dollars.

I have seen the film yesterday.
I think he is good. Not very well, but good.
The beginning is very similar to American Western.
But the latest after the scenes in the Yuma prison camp, the film is typical spaghetti western.
Good cinematography by Enzo Barboni.
Many familiar faces in supporting roles
I find this disturbing only drastic change of location. Time we are in the desert, then again in a deciduous forest.
I also find it very disappointing end. Not very spectacular.

Database Comment:

Muscleman actor Steve Reeves, who was one of the big stars of the Italian peplums a few years earlier, can be seen here in his only SW appearance. He also co-wrote the screenplay, which obviously wasn’t one of his strengths. The fact that it was based on a novel (rare for SWs) isn’t visible in the final film. Routine stuff through and through.

Well, I got an uncut version ( the German version has pruned down the violent scenes), so I watched it again. It didn’t get any better.

Reeves is ok in a role which demands nothing, and there is not much more to say about it as everything happens as it happens in dozens of other SWs. 2/5

Well at least that means it keeps the SW mood. Seems nice.

Is nice. Not outstanding, but ok. :wink:

watched this one again this morning. Pretty good. A lot of well filmed action. I actually liked Reeves as a hero. He definitley looks mean enough to be a Spaghetti hero. Unlike Scherp, I liked the “arty farty” camera work. Makes the film more interesting to watch.

There’s a new disc of this from Code Red set for January 11, 2011. I just got my review copy. I haven’t looked at it yet but it is reportedly HD-mastered.

Thanks for the news ecc. Could you maybe take a few screenshots for comparison purposes, please? If you review it for DVDBeaver, maybe you could have some of them match the ones I have here: A Long Ride from Hell DVD screenshots | Spaghetti Western DVD Database :wink:
I am planning on adding some from the Italian disc as well (which at least isn’t from the same source as the other two).

I did a quick search and there is btw one review here http://10kbullets.com/reviews/a/a-long-ride-from-hell-code-red/

The disc was actually supposed to come out several months ago, but for some reason it was delayed and I was under the impression that it was then supposed to be released by Scorpion releasing or something like that which is connected to Code Red (the owners are brothers?).

Wild East supposedly made a deal to include all their extras on this Code Red disc because they (WE) didn’t pay for the rights when they released their disc.

The Wild East extras are indeed present on the Code Red disc. Well, I haven’t looked up the WE version but there is an interview with Mimmo Palmara and a segment called At Home with Steve Reeves and they both have Wild East logos.

Code Red’s version is another of their Cinerama acquisitions. I’ll take a look at your caps.

Thanks for the heads up, really looking forward to the Code Red DVD, I’ve never seen A Long Ride From Hell and can’t wait!!! :slight_smile:

Sundance, I matched two of your caps for the review. I’ll post the link here when it is up.

Here is another screenshot comparison between the Spanish DVD of Suevia (called as Video Mercury) and the new Italian DVD of Titanus Wild West.

[url]http://www.gentedirispetto.com/forum/showthread.php?13587-Vivo-per-la-tua-morte-(C-Bazzoni-1968)[/url]

DVDBeaver Review[url]http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/dvd_reviews53/a_long_ride_from_hell.htm[/url]

[quote=“ecc, post:38, topic:1251”]

[/quote]
I prefer the first quality, more SW feeling somehow.