A Genius, Two Partners and a Dupe / Un genio, due compari, un pollo (Damiano Damiani, 1975)

I think it is very much like the Trinity films, only rarely funny.

His character was really unique and interesting.

It was rather bizarre. Kind of cute at times. I donā€™t hate it, despite the uneven pacing. It just feels kind of surreal and lighthearted. Terence Hillā€™s character is really entertaining, as is that guy who hates himself for being partially Native American or something.
Iā€™m a fan of Leoneā€™s works and I like Damiani just fine, so I donā€™t mind it too much.

I loved this film. The locations were amazing, Terrence Hill is probably the best he ever was in this one and I really really like Morriconeā€™s score (although I can see why it would turn others off). I wasnā€™t a big fan of the actor who played Steam Engine, but I enjoyed how all over the place the movie was and itā€™s anti-imperialist plotline.

3 Likes

I wasnā€™t a great fan of ā€˜The Geniusā€™.
In my opinion, not a patch on ā€˜My Name is Nobodyā€™.

However, I never get tired of listening to this track from the film, composed by the Maestro, Morricone.

1 Like

ā€œIn a couple of minutes youā€™re gonna be one of the deadest men who ever lived.ā€

1 Like

If they recovered the original stolen negative, I wonder if it has been preserved? If so, it would be interesting for someone to obtain the rights and then release it?

2 Likes

It would but honestly, I donā€™t think the film would be all that much better. Interesting to think about no doubt but I think it would still be pretty much the same film albeit with a bit more polish.

Is the German blu-ray any good?

I didnā€™t think so personally. Maybe someone can post a comparison between the UK DVD and the Blu but I am sure the film can look much better.

I was happy with it, particularly in view of its reliance on inferior takes, but Iā€™d only previously seen a VHS of the film. Itā€™s better I think than Universumā€™s companion My Name is Nobody disc, which was frankly disappointing compared to the French one (StudioCanal).

The ranch house in the desert sequence, directed by Leone is a highlight.

1 Like

Thanks, Iā€™ll go ahead and order it.

This movieā€™s page in the SWDb has been upgraded to the new ā€œSWDb 3.0ā€ format. Please have a look and let us know if thereā€™s something you can add (information, trivia, links, pictures, etc.).

Rewatched this after reading this interview with Gastaldi:

He definitely wasnā€™t happyā€¦ but it makes me wonder if he wanted it more straight or more comedic? Itā€™s certainly all over the place.

First time I watched it I assumed the filmā€™s title referenced Hill as the Genius, Miou-Miou & Bill as the 2 partners and McGoohan as the dupe or idiot. But now Iā€™m pretty sure Bill is the dupe, as heā€™s clueless to the real plan involving the land, and instead JellyRoll and the Indian Chief are possibly the actual partners? Or maybe the Chief is the geniusā€¦

Some things Iā€™m still not sure about though: Why was the trader killed that way at the start? To cause something else to happen involving the colonel? Iā€™m guessing itā€™s something involving the Major, since Jelly Roll seems be ā€˜workingā€™ for him at points.

Also why does Kinski want to kill that same colonel. He was waiting for him to arrive and then made up the story about his sister to have an excuse. Plus it seems like Hill was in town to deliberately to stop it.

Ehhh Iā€™m probably just over thinking it lol :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

What an awesome website. Thanks for sharing.

We should link to it from the Swdb

The Lenzi interview is particularly amusing if you read it immediately after seeing Gastaldiā€™s thoughts about him. :laughing:

Thanks for the link. What a great interview - although the conclusion has left me a bit sad.

Gastaldiā€™s comments on Valerii and my Name is Nobody are a little too dismissive of Leone. Valerii was indeed the director, but Leone was the auteur. He also was physically present in New Orleans in addition to his assistance in Spain.

1 Like

I think he was just trying to make it perfectly clear that it was Valeriiā€™s movie since, as time went by, the ego maniacal Leone had gotten to the point that he was trying to take virtually all of the credit for the film. Gastaldi and Valerii were such close friends, both essentially beginning their careers together, that he was just making it perfectly clear who did actually direct the movie in defense of his friend. If he was trying to downplay Leoneā€™s involvement then it was most likely due to the fact that Leone spent years overplaying his involvement to the point that it did irreparable damage to Valeriiā€™s career.