A Genius, Two Partners and a Dupe / Un genio, due compari, un pollo (Damiano Damiani, 1975)

Thatā€™s what Iā€™d assumed. Itā€™s possible (and Iā€™m speculating wildly here) that a scene had to be substituted which had substantially different dialogue to the version in the stolen negative, but McGoohan wasnā€™t available to loop new soung.

Sounds like an option to me :slight_smile: .

Not even that, just a possibility!

I see more love for this movie in the comments than I have expectedā€¦

It was not bad actually, but I was kind hoping that it might be better than its reputation. After all how bad can a movie with good cast, Morricone, adorable Miou-Miou, directed by Damiani (who I consider better than most of SW directors), supervised/produced/whatever by Leone and filmed in Monument Valley forcrissakes, really be?

But the problem with this movie is that it is redundant. Everything that it does has already been done. Unlike its ā€œprequelā€ My Name is Nobody, it offers zero of new or interesting perspective. Even the sequence directed by Leone (yes, I have spotted it before I have read it was done by him), feels like Leone-by-the-numbers.

Just watched this again since it had been a while. I like this film a lot. The only flaw for me is that the ending is slightly cut on the UK DVD but that is a fault with the DVD and not the film.

The best part is definitely the beginning shot by Leone.

Sure.

Was surprised how much I liked this, even more than the firstā€¦ donā€™t understand what happens during the duel though, the gun move by itself and goes in his pocket for some reason? That was the only inconsistent thing.

Iā€™m not so sure.
It is an average scene, and one of the weakest Leone ever shot in a western. Itā€™s a weak film, so it is a proper scene, but actually Damianiā€™s directing is not bad, only that it is all pretty unfunny, and thatā€™s a little problem for a comedy. But some of the not-funny-meant scenes are nicely done.

Iā€™ve said it before but I donā€™t really like the beginning. Itā€™s too different from the style of the rest of the film and frankly Iā€™ve never understood whatā€™s it all about.

I donā€™t think itā€™s average, itā€™s not on a level with some of his very best scenes, no, and it ends in a rather silly anti-climax, so in that sense itā€™s not good. The rest of the movie is a bit hard to judge because we do not have the original material chosen by Damiani (or Leone). Itā€™s not a great movie, but I kinda like it.

This works really well for me. As for it not being funny, I laughed quite a bit throughout the film, so I would have to disagree. Itā€™s not overly slapstick and while Iā€™m a huge fan of Trinity and My Name is Nobody, I do like the balance in this one. The film has a lot of content. Considering so much of the original film stock was stolen and destroyed, I think they did an incredible job putting this one together. Iā€™d give it at least 3/5 and maybe even 4/5 since I really like this one personally.

1 Like

Stolen but not destroyed: the negative was found in May '76, a few months after the movie came out,

Didnā€™t know that. Any more information about what the film was meant to focus on originally?

I donā€™t think there were substantial differences in that respect.

I think it was the same film, but they had to use alternative shots of the same scenes. If a director shoots every scene several times there would be enough alternative material for every single shot.

Btw was the whole negative stolen, or only a greater part of it?

Yeah, thatā€™s evident since the camera stays within the same shots for many scenes. It doesnā€™t really spoil the film though. Iā€™m not sure about the negative.

If you scroll up in this thread, there are a couple of Italian newspaper clippings about the theft.

Good point!

Only a greater part of it (a total of about 7,2 kilometres for the three movies).

Like sherp said not a great one but I also always liked the film for some reason, itā€™s kind of a unique type of SW, yes itā€™s a comedy not quiteā€¦, well itā€™s not a Trinita film, itā€™s strange somehow