A Fistful of Dollars / Per un pugno di dollari (Sergio Leone, 1964)

Iā€™ve got this release, must check it out in Italian.

In this Italian trailer - YouTube for A Fistful of Dollars you can hear a different version of the main title theme (the same track that I was talking about being used in the Italian audio [it would be a great help if somebody knew where to get this track]. You can also hear a vocal version of the track composed by Morricone and sung by Peter Tevis here [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAE9tFd6WkQ&feature=BFa&list=FLPeXAODdmuICYrpSeX-xJzQ]Ennio Morricone & Peter Tevis - Pastures of Plenty - YouTube.

Are you sure? I recall there was a scene where Silvanitio says something like ā€œPiripero makes another coffinā€¦ā€

Iā€™m not totally sure, but they do say his name a lot more in the Italian audio (same with Silvanito) It could be I simply didnā€™t catch their names because of little usage in the English audio.

I think when The Stranger gets beaten and hides in a coffin, he whispers to the old-man: Piripero.
Not sure though.

btw, is the name Joe used more in italian version? In english version itā€™s mentioned only once or twice by Piripero if I remember correctly.

As far as I remember, the name Joe isnā€™t mentioned in Italian audio at all. I might be wrong though.
I remember I watched it with English audio for the first time about a year ago and I was surprised that The Man Without A Name does have a nameā€¦ :slight_smile:

Actually they use his name Joe more often in the Italian audio, not sure how many thoughā€¦

That is exactly how things stand :wink:

OK, thanks. I havenā€™t viewed it for a long time.

In any case in both versions he never says his name and only Piripero calls him Joe.

Isnā€™t Joe something you typically call a gringo you donā€™t know the name of, like the universal name of any male Americans?

a movie almoust 50 years wow!!! and itā€™s still my best from leone

[quote=ā€œMickey13, post:107, topic:125ā€]As far as I remember, the name Joe isnā€™t mentioned in Italian audio at all. I might be wrong though.
I remember I watched it with English audio for the first time about a year ago and I was surprised that The Man Without A Name does have a nameā€¦ :)[/quote]

Yeah, as we all know heā€™s got names in all three (Joe, Manco, Blondie) - some American marketer came up with the ā€œMan With No Nameā€ deal as a way to sell the pictures in the USA - brilliant idea, considering how it worked out.

Iā€™d love to eventually get the Italian dubs on all these films, FOD is the only one I can find. I did catch the last 1/2 hr or so of TGTB&TU on TV in Italy on vacation once, but there was so little dialogue it didnā€™t matter, as the last 30 minutes of that film is fantastic cinema.

I remember seeing For a Few Dollars More for the first time some years after seeing A Fistful of Dollars, having forgotten ā€œJoe,ā€ and kind of snapping my head around when someone called him Manco. My reaction was, ā€œHey, wait a minute, isnā€™t heā€¦?ā€

I gotta put this up: I watched this recently and despite my continuing deep digging into the genre, starting with Leone, then the Anchor Bay/Blue Underground DVDs, then onto the top 20 lists on a lot of DVD-Rs, then journeying past that, this still remains my favorite Spaghetti Western. Of course it is not as good as GBU, but to me it is the most pure film of the genre. It is a film I have memorized beginning to end in the English track, I think the performances on that track and all their imperfections make the film beyond wonderful. The dialogue has such a cartoony flavor to it, the music seems synced so right with each little scene change. I think itā€™s a goddamn magnificent film and my #1 for good at this point.

It also got me into Kurosawa at a young age, and George Romero, and punk rock, and Dovestoevsky, well lead me at least, stealing this VHS from a friend when I was 12 opened up the whole world to me.

Spot on. I think if you look up Spaghetti Western in the dictionary there should be a picture of this film. Not as good as GBU, FFM and OUATITW of course but to me its the quintessential Spaghetti Western.

Along with Django, this one is the most ā€œItalianā€ western, maybe because it has that cheapness and Leone manages to overcome it. The same case with Corbucci. All imperfections that both flicks implicate adds to the zest. Love it.

I always thought it dragged in the middle a bitā€¦to me FAFDM is the best of the three, although theyā€™re all classicā€¦

I actually feel the same way but reversed, FAFDM drags a little in the middle for me, and I like it less than the other two. Different strokes I guess.