A Fistful of Dollars / Per un pugno di dollari (Sergio Leone, 1964)

No Amigo.

The fact is that the Leone has invented the SW-style. And has proven especially that these films can be marketed successfully. Corbucci follows only this style.

For example, Corbucciā€™s Minnesota Clay. In the same year made as A Fistful of Dollars. This film follows the American model. Without a real anti-hero.

Leone was one step further. He created a whole new style. An anti-hero, was atypical for Western U.S. And only after Leone had given these elements, Corbucci took over these style. And reinterpreted these elements on his own way. And the result was Django.
And therefore: Without ā€˜Man With No Nameā€™, there would be no Django.

Leone certainly was the one who defined the spaghetti western with A Fistful of Dollars, but Natos99 has a point. As far as i have been able to find out, both Sergios had indeed plans to do a remake of Yojimbo (see my review, the info on this is in the first paragraph). Corbucci was busy with a few other things (he was always busy with a lot of things) and Leone was first. However, Corbucci kept the ideas he had for his remake in the back of his head and used them for Django, two years later. He added some political and religious metaphores to the story, and he also changed the identity of the protagnist: No Name is a passer-by, he stumbles upon a situation and decides to stay because he sees money in it; Django is an avenger, he has a score to settle with one of the other characters.

I have my doubts about this cartoon (see the fourth paragraph)

Both movies are absolutely essential to the genre

Django Review:

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Django_Review_(Scherpschutter)

I was infact agreeing but I understand how you thought it may of been sarcastic

And without James Bond there would be no Sartana! :slight_smile:

Very interesting review. With a lot of background information.
But I doubt that Corbucci has made the film Django if Leone would have had no success with his film.
And I think that Leone had the courage to implement his ideas.
And Corbucci tried with Johnny Oro his interpretation of the ā€˜Man With No Nameā€™. And then maybe he noticed that he had to make his character completely new, to be successful. And thatā€™s why he made Django.

And maybe Johnny Oro is closer to the ā€˜Man With No Nameā€™ as Django. (The movie charakter, not the Film)
And as you have written, Django follows rather the principle revenge. The ā€˜Man With No Nameā€™ follows the greed for gold.

Therefore one can say that perhaps Leone added this genre the element greed and Corbucci added the element of revenge.

And to me it seems a bit risky to compare the character of Django with Yojimbo. Yojimbo never had any thoughts of revenge.
The only where one could draw comparisons would be on the anti-hero character and the two rival gangs. But otherwise the character of Django a complete re-interpretation.

But Django was an anti-hero. And Leone was the one who transferred the first anti-heroes in the SW. Whether Corbucci also had this idea remains speculative.

I believe that Corbucci noted that this anti-hero can to be successful in a Western. And so he followed the path Leone.

And I agree. Both films are existentially relevant to the genre. And we are honest. The following movies follow rather the way from Corbucci. For the revenge was a fundamental element of many SW.

I hope you understand what I mean, despite my bad English. :wink:

without doupt 4.5 out of 5, the first SW hero! ;D
i realy loved this film!
'whats the matter ramon loosing your touch?'
great music, explosions, high bodycount, sw heroes, great villains, and the ultimate duel at the end!
well done leone!!! i loved the dialogs also from the begining to the end, must be inside in every top 20
this and ā€˜for a few dollars moreā€™

I like this one alot(more than FAFDM actually). A 5/5 for me!

I found the prologue shot for US tv-version from youtube, had not seen it before.

Laughable scene which tries to change Man with no name to more ordinary hero. Eastwoodā€™s eyes are edited so clumsily in the scene.

Never seen it before either.
Thanks Bill

How awful, how completely awful

Yeah the special edition of Fistful of Dollars shows that prologue. Apparently it only aired one time and it was directed by Monte Helman, who is interviewed about it on the DVD.

This is why I love Special features/extras on DVDs so much. You learn so much.

Wow, the called his mule a horse. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, itā€™s pretty bad. A real curiosity.

They should have shot it at least in a way that you donā€™t really see the actor, which obviously looks very different from Clint. And it is much too long, much longer than necessary to serve the purpose.

Bad yes. Glad I have viewed the scene though to satisfy my curiosity as had heard of the scene for a few years.

Had seen it before, one DVD version I have had it as an extra feature. Ridiculous to say the least.

Almost as ridiculous as Tombs of the Blind Deadā€™s attempt to pass off as a sequel to planet of the apes!

heh, it all reminded me, when Lee van Cleef told Kurt Russell that he must go to New York to rescue the president :smiley:

Have seen this film again but this time it was on RHVā€™s Blu-Ray release (instead of MGMā€™s), and what a treat it was! I watched it with the Italian PCM 5.1 audio, and for me itā€™s much more superior than the English audio for the film, so lively. Thereā€™s also a small difference in the soundtrack by Morricone in the Italian audio, thereā€™s some music variations in the film that is not in the English audio. The high-def picture is fantastic, and RHV doesnā€™t crop the picture as MGMā€™s release does. I got the last copy available on Amazon.it, the collectors edition - I love it! ;D

I agree, the Italian audio is much better.
Itā€™s funny when the old man says: ā€œOh, Joe. Joe Joeā€¦ā€ ;D
In Italian he says something like it, donā€™t know if I remember correctly: ā€œIā€™ve got plenty of work here and Iā€™m not complaining.ā€
Definitely the latter dialogue makes more sense than the former one.

The English translation of the Italian audio is definitely better than the dialogue in the English audio. In the Eng audio they donā€™t mention that the old man is named Piripero etc., and some dialogue in the Italian audio is also changed a little (maybe for the better). The same thing goes for the Italian audio on Django, itā€™s so great!

Yep, I agree. The atmosphere is much better and there is much more dark humor than in English dubbing.