A Fistful of Dollars / Per un pugno di dollari (Sergio Leone, 1964)

Well, Iā€™m not talking so much about the Joe character, Iā€™m talking about the way the film works. This is imo a weak scene in the English and German version, but as it is different in the original I donā€™t care anymore.

I donā€™t like btw sentimentality in cinema. Of course, there are always exceptions of the rule.

ā€œA Fistful of Dollarsā€ is Leoneā€™s shortest western and the least complicated, with most scenes your average lenth (unlike in his other filns). But, that isnā€™t a bad thing, and alot of the time your in vintage Spaghetti Western territory and at of all the Spaghetti Westernā€™s, I would chose this film as the one to show someone who has never seen a Spaghetti Western before in there life.

Iā€™m in the minority (if not alone) of those who like this better that FAFDM. I know it doesnā€™t have LVC & supposedly a better story but this one is bette for me. I canā€™t beat the final scene with the metal chest protector. Iconic. So what if itā€™s based on a Kurosawa story, it still is my choice & apparently Iā€™m alone. BTW. John Welles, welcome to the forum. :slight_smile:

Thank you.

I too prefer Fistful over Few Dollars More, Iā€¦Iā€¦Idiot

And welcome to the board, John Welles

Itā€™s my fave Leone.

It is a hard one to decide which is better, ā€œA Fistful of Dollarsā€ or ā€œFor a Few Dollars Moreā€. If you look at the ā€œDollars Trilogyā€ in general, Eastwoodā€™s chacter gets nastier as the films go on. So, for instance, in ā€œA Fistful of Dollarsā€ he saves Marisol, but the No-Name (I say No-Name because all the names he gets called are all nicknames, ā€œJoeā€, ā€œMancoā€ and ā€œBlondieā€) of ā€œThe Good, the Bad and the Uglyā€ wouldnā€™t have done that. After all, in ā€œThe Good, the Bad and the Uglyā€ he dumps Tuco in the middle of the desert, however, Tuco hasnā€™t done anything to him at that stage, and the only reason why he leaves him to die, is because giving him up to differant towns sheiffs, collecting the bounty on him, then freeing him so they can do it all over again, isnā€™t getting him, ā€œBlondieā€, enougth money. So, as the films go on, Leone dehumanises him from saving women held captured by bandits (because: ā€œI knew someone like you once, and there was no one there to help herā€) to being motivated purly by greed. So in one way, ā€œA Fistful of Dollarsā€ has the nicest No-Name character.

IMO the Blondie has got a human side as well. Just remember the scene with the dying soldier.

True, but in a lot of other movies, the ā€œBlondieā€ character would have been a bad guy.

Who knows? I don*t :wink:

The character isnĀ“t really bad nor good. Blondie, Monco or whatever he is called is a man of profit. The saving of Marisol might give him a good touch, nevertheless his only goal ist he money - in all parts of the trilogy. As the title ā€œThe good, the bad and the uglyā€ adresses him the attribute ā€œgoodā€ you can see, that in a world of violence, Blondie, Monco and the Stranger is one of the better characters, but not really ā€œa good manā€ like in the epic style of most of the classic US-Westerns. He knows the values of honor, friendship an so on, but they are not relevant for him. Good to see at the sheriffs-office-scene in the beginning of ā€œFor afew dollars moreā€ as he knows that this town need a better man for this job. In an US-Western he would typically be the towns new sheriff once a day - in a SW never, because the payment is that badā€¦

Where can I find MP3s or wav files of dialogue from this film?I want to use it as a ring tone.

So far Ive only found the blu-ray releases of this film on DVDland. There are two different releases, a Special Edition and a normal one. [url]http://www.dvdland.it/nicom1/nicom1;jsessionid=15E73DD360F0E0499513D92883D6D204.node3[/url]

Where else can I buy these movies? The shipping is so expensive.

Not sure if you meant there are two Blu-Rays but there is actually just one as far as I know (with one disc in it) and then there is a special edition DVD release with 2 DVDs in the exact same kind of package and cover. The movie was also released at the same time in a single disc DVD release.

Anyways the blu-ray is being sold at least at
IBS.it Libreria IBS: Libri, DVD, Blu-ray, CD, eBook, Games, eReader, Giocattoli (the cover is incorrect)
Videociak: http://videociak.net/customer/product.php?productid=20248&cat=&page=1&more_pages=
DVD.it DVD.it

Videociak is the cheapest to ship to where I am and they send with registered mail. IBS and DVD.it use only couriers. For one disc IBS isnā€™t much more expensive than Videociak but the shipping costs increase with every DVD added, while the costs at DVD.it start high (about 13euros for me) but stay the same for several discs. I donā€™t know where you live though so donā€™t know which might be the cheapest for you. Ebay might also have some for sale if you search worldwide.
IBS and DVD.it sites are only in Italian.

IĀ“ve recently bought the Italian collectorĀ“s edition blu ray which of course was a must as a SW fan. I hadnĀ“t seen the movie since a few years but i remember this was always my least favorite of the three Eastwood movies.

While watching the blu ray i still felt the same after all this time. Like most people i donĀ“t mind the Leone basically stole the story from KurosawaĀ“s ā€œYojimboā€. I like the whole cat and mouse game between the gangs and Eastwood. But unfortunately there is so little action going on in the first half of the movie. ItĀ“s mostly just Eastwood looking cool as ever while thinking of new tricks to play out the gangs against each other. This formula getĀ“s pretty old pretty quickly imo. ItĀ“s basically the same thing every 15 minutes, gang A getĀ“s ambushed then Gang B getĀ“s ambushed and back and forth while Eastwood just stands by. Leone shows alot of promise here but i was never truelly impressed by this movie. It may have a classic reputation amongst fans but iĀ“m certainly not one of them. IĀ“m not saying itĀ“s a bad movie but i do have trouble understanding why so many people see this movie as the holy grail of the genre. ItĀ“s sequel ā€œFor a Few Dollars Moreā€ now thatĀ“s a movie i can praise as as true classic!

So damned hot, and Iā€™m feeling a little bit tired this days went home to rest a litle and watched again this all time classic, having the new DVD.

Fantastic feels always better. What can I say, the music, the acting, the camera work, even the borrowed storyline (from another classic), but above all the style itself (a sum of all things Iā€™ve mentioned) inovative at the time.

This was most likely to be the first film I saw in cinema I (in one of those traveling cinemas, from the old days) Iā€™m not sure, I was too young to remember the all film, but I thing I remember the scene where Clint itā€™s torture and beaten, things look different if you watch them in the big screen but now Iā€™m pretty sure this was the one.
So itā€™s a special one to me, even if in my case it not as my enter to the genre, that was GBU a few years latter when I could understand things. But I never never had forgotten that sunday evening as a young kid when I saw a cowboy film.

Just amazing legendary stuff

Am I bad for prefering Django ?

(from reading comics from an early age & enjoying the concept of anti-heros the film is alot like a comic even with DJANGO having his own theme song)

Some people say he riped off Fistful but I read somewhere that Leone & Corbucci both saw Yojimbo together and both said lets make western versions of this & Leone made a fistful of Dollars & Corbucci Made Djangoā€¦

I prefer franco over clint (just because Franco makes the ā€œSpaghetti Westernā€ more of a spaghetti western because he is Italian) & the ending to Django its fantasticā€¦

I gave this a 5. It is just slightly ahead of Django for me. I love both films. But the music in FOD is just beautiful. Clintā€™s character makes a perfect introduction and I also enjoy Volonteā€™s acting as well.

This is not quite right. Corbucci was inspired by a comic. In this comic, there is a guy who runs with a coffin through the area.

And besides that, the films differ significantly. Django is more an end-time movie. With a much more depressing mood than for a A Fistful of Dollars .

The main characters are very different. While the ā€˜Man With No Nameā€™ kill more for itself, so Django have apparently fun in killing. At least he always laughs when he kills people. Clear for both characters, the Yojimbo character is the template. But I doubt it that both have seen the same movie together. Especially since Corbucci has made his film, when Leone already had long success. And Corbucci tested many movie character until he was successful: Johnny Oro, Navajo Joeā€¦And he made also films such as Minnesota Clay and I Crudeli. So a very different style.

Iā€™m a fan of both films. But Leone created the first SW anti-hero. And without ā€˜Man With No Nameā€™, there would be no Django.

Haha, just like there would be No Batman with out Zorro :stuck_out_tongue: