A Fistful of Dollars / Per un pugno di dollari (Sergio Leone, 1964)

Iā€™m not sure about FOD, but here is what I think of FFDM

Iā€™d like to think that Manco collects the bounty money but gives the bank money back in FFDM because it was mentioned that the returned stolen money was a requirement in order to get the bounty. I forgot who said it though.

Also I think Manco learns a little something from Mortimerā€™s act of generosity and pays it forward somewht.

Funny you should mention the bank money from FFDM, I was just thinking about that earlier today. I agree that Manco probably gives the money back.

I thought that him leaving town in the same state he came into in FOD was a nice way to emphasize the circular nature of many of these tales. Now heā€™s off to another town for another adventure just like this one.

But the new idea of the heroā€™s character was that he isnā€™t an adventurer, but instead a greedy capitalist. Cynic and only interested in money.

Up to this point in film history the censoring always asked for a morally foundation or substructure to present immoral behaviour.

Describing him as an opportunist is more fitting I think. Capitalist enables the wrong images in my head. But greedy as hell yeah.

Letā€™s go straight to another Fistful question. The last one, so no worries about another fistful of translating questions.

There is one scene which comes in Leoneā€™s westerns the closest to presenting a conventional motivation behind the seemingly immoral behaviour of our hero. To change Eastwood from a calculating killer to the usual ā€œhard shell with a soft coreā€ type of character.

When Eastwood gives the ā€œholy familyā€ all his earned money he responds to the ā€œWhy you are doing this?ā€ question: ā€œI knew someone once, just like you, and nobody was there to helpā€. Arrghh

Again if we try to see this in a positive way, we could say he is only lying to get quicker rid of them, or he lies to take away from them an uncomfortable feeling about the given money. But it is presented in a rather sentimental way. Double arrghh

Again my question Scherp: is this the same as in the Italian version?

Iā€™ll check this later today, but I guess the problem here is caused by the origins of the No Name character, the chambara movie Yojimbo.

Kurosawaā€™s Yojimbo is a ronin, a samurai without a master
Those ronins were usually presented as cynical, pessimistic men, who lost (nearly) all trust in the world and humanity, but they always stayed loyal to their code of honour, the bushido, which told them to help the poor and defenceless. In a sense they represented the true virtues of the Japanese soul and classic Japanese culture (as opposed to modernaty, represented in Yojimbo by the two-shot pistol of one of the villains). To a Japanese audience this scene is clear: of course the samurai helps this poor family, heā€™s a samurai, bound to do so. But in Fisful this scene causes a problem. Why would a sonnovaā€¦ like No Name do something for those people?

I ave been collecting info on these things lately for an upcoming Fistful review (or article), but thereā€™s still some work to do. Things become even more complicated if you take Dashiell Hammetā€™s Red Harvest into consideration. The protagonist, the nameless (!) Continental Op is again a different type of character, with a different code of honour and motivation. Film arenā€™t always as easy as they seem ā€¦

Iā€™ve never had a problem with this aspect of the character - heā€™s as ruthless as they come with anybody who deserves it, so he can afford to cut the family some slack in this case. He knows he can make a lot more money anyway.

And of course, he shows compassion and understanding elsewhere in the trilogy, notably to the dying soldier in GBU.

He doesnā€™t have to be a one-note cynic; heā€™s (slightly) more rounded, more complex, than that. He wouldnā€™t have been anywhere near so compelling a character had he been entirely soulless.

Perhaps we should factor in the actorā€™s persona as well, to an extent, although itā€™s unlikely that Eastwood - not yet a star - could have imposed any ā€˜sentimentalityā€™ on the character as written.

In Italian No Nameā€™s answer, when asked why heā€™s doing this for the holy family, simply is that itā€™s ā€˜a story which is too long to tellā€™

Hmm, so perhaps the ā€˜softeningā€™ of the character was more for the sensitivities of the Anglo-US marketā€¦

Intriguing.

Well, itā€™s also the fact that - IMO - being a cynic doesnā€™t mean that one is completely amoral. Although I find it interesting that Clint is the one who ends up preserving the unity of the family, while Ramon was the one who broke it. Itā€™s like thatā€™s really the point where the line between ā€œheroā€ and ā€œvillainā€ is drawn, rather thanā€¦ well, all the rest.

By the way, when Clint rescues the family (does Marisolā€™s husband even have a name anyway? Other than ā€œcharacter we put there just because saying the Holy Ghost was Jesusā€™ dad seemed a bit too muchā€), does he really give them all of the money? Because in that scene I understood he gives them quite a lot, but for some reason it never occurred to me that he totally emptied his wallet, so to speak. But this might just be my memory failing me - I need a thorough rewatch :slight_smile:

It may be possible explanation, i remember reading somewhere that Eastwood wanted scenes like that one with a soldier or kittens in GBU.

You may be right Eastwoodā€™s character never said that itā€™s all of his money :wink:

I think the point is that Rōnin, which literally means ā€œdrifterā€ although is restricted to a specialized context, existed outside of the system just like Leoneā€™s depiction of the ā€œbounty killerā€. Personally I find the comparison reasonably apt.

In English he says something like ā€˜Take this money, itā€™s enough to last for a whileā€™

In Italian he says:

ā€˜Tenete questi soldi, ce ne abbastanza per vivere tranquilla per un [pezzo*]ā€™
(* - Iā€™m not quite sure about this last word, Poggy, this is your expertise)
Which means, if Iā€™m not mistaken, ā€˜Take this money, itā€™s enough to live quiet for a whileā€™

So he gives them a considerable amount of money, but not necessarily all of his money

Thatā€™s correct Scherp! 8)

Typical Stanton, he always gets hang up on certain scenes or details that ruin the whole film for him

Donā€™t know what the problem is either this time

I think Joe gives the holy family all his money, this is how I always imagined it

The name of Marisolā€™s husband is Julio, btw

Joe was greedy and an opportunist, but occasionally presented as not so selfish, especially towards the oppressed or poor

Exactly. A new type of hero for a new, more complicated era - that was the point. Nobody said he had to be a complete bastard to all and sundry.

Indeed, and nobody would presume Rōnin were paragons of virtue either. After becoming ā€œdriftersā€ these guys were quite simply on their own and had to resort to whatever means possible.

And in the German version he says something like ā€œI just canā€™t bear any injusticeā€. Thatā€™s also a conventional way of justification for his doing.

The Italian version with Joe being evasive is the best, and besides itā€™s the original.

In the German and English version the changed dialogue turns this scene into sentimentality, which would be a minor break in style. Shows how you can change the mood of a scene (or in other cases even the meaning of a whole film) by dubbing.

And for the money ā€¦
Yes, I also assumed always he gave them all his money, but right, thereā€™s no real evidence for this assumption.

Still, in the end he seems not to be a rich man, according to his original plan, whereas in the next 2 films it was important for Leone to show Eastwood getting away with the money.

He he, completely wrong my friend

Why the ā€œarrghhā€™sā€? It doesnā€™t seem too sentimental to me. He gave the family some money and helped him escape. So what? That doesnā€™t make him a philantropic softy by any stretch. Heā€™s still a nihilistic, cynical, misanthropic sonovabitch at heart. Giving some dollars to some peons isnā€™t going to change that.