A Fistful of Dollars / Per un pugno di dollari (Sergio Leone, 1964)

I know :frowning:

that movie is amazing

All that I need to say is, without this movie, I don’t know if the genre would exist or not, but it definitely wouldn’t be as popular.

Everything got better with the later movies, but this movie still deserves its due!

from the dollar triology, this one have that “i dunno what” jeez! that great moment whens Joe appears between the sand and smoke by the explotion, and the theme of “A fistful oof dollars” damm! i never forgot that scene, however, how Sebastian said, its a copy from kurosawa movie. this film was excelente,
and this means that much money aint needed to make a legend.

Adios…

Some say it’s a scene-by-scene rip-off of ‘yojimbo’ but i don’t agree. The main plot and few scenes are similar not indentical! I think ‘fistful of dollars’ is a great movie it already shows what Leone can do! Great Morricone score, good Eastwood’s and Volonte’s acting - overall a great movie:)

Well, most of the plot is very similar, but it’s not scene-by-scene.

Volonte’s acting is always good, but he is much, much better as Indio.

The film certainly begins as an almost exact copy of Yojimbo, but as it progresses, it develops on it’s own. The coffin maker scene for example, is copied almost word for word from Yojimbo.

I prefer FAFDM & TGTBTU .

Watched it at home while you were watching it in Almeria

When I hear the explosions and see Clint’s figure appear through the clouds of dust, I recall the way I felt when I watched the scene for the first time, in cinema, in - I guess - 1970 or 1971 (I went with a friend and we were both worried that we wouldn’t be allowed to see it since it had an ‘18 rating’).

I do think it’s the least of the Dollar movies, but it still is a very powerful film

Clint has been given a new poncho and cigar (the mule is the same) so PHIL’s review looks as new:

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/A_Fistful_of_Dollars_review

I do think it’s the least of the Dollar movies, but it still is a very powerful film

agreed. i used to think it was better than “a few dollars more"but having seen all of the trilogy again lately i think " the good, the bad and the ugly” “for a few dollars more” and “a fistful of dollars”. all of them are classics

Having myself seen them all somewhere(?) lately I think…FAFDM, GBU and FOD.

I’m with Tig on this one.
I tend to oscilate between GBU and FAFDM as my favourites depending on which one I have seen most recently. But having just watched them back to back I have to plump for FAFDM as being my favourite by a nose. FOD is very good compared to any other films but comes third in this company.

Got the Japanese 3-disc special edition arrive today.

Beautifully packaged, you have to really see it in the flesh to fully appreciate it.

Basically disc 1 & 2 are the same as the 2-disc editions, disc 3 is a documentary but it is in French with only Japanese subtitles.

[/URL]
[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=530&i=dsc01023tm7.jpg]http://imageshack.us

Nice Yodlaf :).

A Good SPW. Lots of action and dark humour. Good spaghetti debut from M :)r.Leone.

This was just posted over at the Segio Leone Web Board by a member called Jordan Krug:

[i]"Ordered the new Italian FOD deluxe dvd package (cause my Blu Ray player can’t play the special features, only the movie) Thought I’d be a nice guy and rip a couple of the features to nice high-quality quicktimes for you all to see/save. (I doubt very much these will be ported over to North America discs). I’m hosting them on the backend of my website for now, but I’m not going to keep them up there forever, so grab em now while you can. Also might be best to let the whole thing load before you play (they are high data rate…)

Here’s the original italian trailer (pay close attention - I’m pretty sure every shot is an alternate/extended take or unused angle from those in the film). Also the Morricone music seems to be slightly different than the version in the film.

http://www.jordankrug.com/Screening_Room/leone/fistfulitaliantrailer.mov

This is another very cool supplement, starts off with alternate titles, then montages of clapperboards, extended takes, alt takes etc. I think most of the material is just trims from the takes already in the film. It’s amazing to see, one only wishes there was more, (maybe not so quickly edited) and that some of the pieces were longer Smiley (it might take a while to load, it’s 13 min long)

http://www.jordankrug.com/Screening_Room/leone/fodaltfootage.mov

There are more supplements on the disc, most are very interesting interviews (with english subtitles available!) If you have a pal/region free compatible dvd player I recommend you pick up the set. Comes with a ton of cool paper extras as well (all in Italian though)

Enjoy!"[/i]

I have a question to the ending of FoD. In the German and English versions Clint says that he won’t take the money of the government with him. That’s of course rather inconsequent for a SW hero.

Does he possibly keep the money in the Italian version? Any differences in the closing dialogues?

No, the conversation is something like:

• The American army will be happy to get back their money
  • You won’t be here when it’s returned?
  • The American army on one side, the Mexican armey on the other, and me in the middle? No, too dangerous

Identical to the German version.
I always somehow hoped this was a bit censored and he keeps the money in the original. He gave the money he had already earned to the “holy family”, a sentimental act maybe, or if we are more positive only an investment to make more money. But it seems in the end he rides away as rich as he was before. The owner of a mule.

That’s a major failure of FoD, isn’t it?

So Leone wasn’t too sure about the immoral aspects of his film, and he needed another film to to do it.

This never bothered me, although you’re right. A reaction like that doesn’t match the character and the title of the movie.