A Bullet for Sandoval / Quei disperati che puzzano di sudore e di morte / Los desesperados (Julio Buchs, 1969)

Also watched this one and enjoyed it, certainly a lot more than Deaf Smith… I think it was a bit too episodic for it’s own good but was a good run-of-the-mill spag with some nice Spanish tragedy style elements. Probably would’ve enjoyed it more if I’d seen the uncut version though. Anyone know if it’s available on a DVDR at all?

Is the German DVD uncut or the same version as the VCI disc?

For anyone interested, I did a comparison and the US DVD (which is cut more than the German one) has a slightly better picture quality than the German DVD.

The US DVD has more finer detail and better colors. The German print looks a bit washed out and doesn’t retain as much detail. The German one looks to be filtered in a not so good way.

Its more noticeable when watching the video than these screenshots depict, while its not a huge difference the US print does look much better IMO.

I may put together a composite using these sources as this is a great spaghetti that hasn’t gotten a proper release. My time / ability to do this stuff is almost non existent recently, but may be able to do this up real quick.

Screenshots from:
92min - German disc
90min - US disc
100.5min - Spanish TV print (no ending credits)

poster dump!

4 Likes

Good to see you drop in again … this is a great project idea. Sandoval has been shown on UK tv, but it’s the short version and the image is so soft, it’s even lower quality than the Spanish TV version. It deserves some restoration love. Good luck.

1 Like

I have it on DVD. All I remember is Ernest Borgnine hamming it up intensely.

1 Like

Hello autephex, nice to see you around again.

1 Like

hey guys… thanks for the welcome back.

Unfortunately I’ve had to step away from these kinds of projects again as life just hasn’t granted me the time to put any focus on this stuff, but hopefully will get back to some of the last unfinished projects at some point. But I will prob put this composite together sometime soon as this shouldn’t be too hard a job or take very long.

Really surprised this title hasn’t gotten more attention yet.

1 Like

What’s wrong with the existing Tijuana version?

It combines the US disc with all known other scenes taken from a pretty good VHS version. The German disc, which is btw only a bootleg anyway, does not more than using these 2 sources also, but obviously it is not a complete version. My Tijuana edit runs 102 min, and must be the longest version in circulation.

Where did you come by this Tijuana edit? I haven’t seen such a composite in my usual sources.

Aldo’s english/spanish dub version using a Spanish TV print is the longest I’ve come across at 100min

After reviewing the thread, I don’t see anyone here mentioning having this Tijuana edit except you. ENNIOO mentioned aldo’s fandub, but don’t see any mentions of the composite you’re referencing. Would gladly just snag that one, but if it isn’t available to everyone then its not much good for us…

Also, aldo appears to have used the same VHS source to add cut scenes into the Spanish TV print. I am wondering if there are more cut scenes in the Spanish print that maybe aren’t in the “Tijuana” composite since from what you’ve said, the creator of that edit combined the VCI with the VHS.

Aldo combined the VHS with the Spanish TV

Maybe there are differences between the Spanish TV and VHS?

Sorry to keep replying to myself, but I have to correct what I just said. Aldo didn’t add scenes from the VHS, he only used the English audio dub from that VHS. No actual scenes were inserted into the Spanish TV print.

Actually, some of the scenes were missing from the VHS and had to be left in Spanish. So there are scenes cut from this VHS which are included in the Spanish TV print.

I’m not 100% sure the same VHS sourced was used, but according to the person who originally provided the VHS used for aldo’s fandub, the VHS is :

Widescreen/letterboxed.

English language.

Hardcoded subtitles (Finnish/Swedish?)

Actually, I don’t remember, I traded it once. I mentioned it in this thread here 10 years ago in 2009. And I think it is since then in circulation.

The colors of the additional scenes are identical to the VCI disc, and even if taken from a VHS source they are surprisingly also anamorph. On my old TV I barely noticed the new scenes, but of course on a newer bigger TV the VHS derivation shows, but it is still quite watchable.

As far as I know the forgettable German disc is inferior to the Tijuana version, but was completely taken from that version. Albeit nobody understands why they cut parts of that version out, as there are still scenes in it without a German dub.

I just added the English dub to the Spanish rip …. no cutting or inserting involved. The discrepancy in running time could be explained by the abrupt ending, no end titles and no ‘Titanus’ intro.

O’Cangaceiro made English subs to fill the gaps for the Spanish scenes.

Swedish it must be, but in the anamorph version the subs are gone, as they surely were in the lower letterboxed part of the image.

Then the Spanish version is the longest around with about 105 min, but so far nobody compared both versions.

Btw Aute, in your screenshots the 2nd one offers more details, but you said that the US disc is the sharper one.

My Swedish tape, it runs for around 90 minutes If I remember correctly

3 Likes

Yes, the 2nd screenshot is the US disc (VCI). 1st shot is German, 2nd VCI, and 3rd is the Spanish TV print used by aldo. I listed the order of the titles above shots incorrectly in my post.

I will make the comparison of the Spanish TV print to the other cuts soon and report back.

I don’t have the Swedish VHS, but I can get a copy of the DVDR recording. I might not bother tho, as far as I can tell the Spanish TV recording has everything from the Swedish VHS and more, so I don’t think the VHS will be needed. I do have the German DVD, but from what you’ve said above, they didn’t include all the VHS segments in this German DVD I guess.

May go ahead and get the VHS version to compare as well, just to be sure and compare picture quality to the TV print.

Its been a little trickier to do the comparison between cuts than I originally thought, but I did start the process and so far it doesn’t seem to be too big a difference. The additional scenes seemed fairly minor, small insignificant cuts, with the longest scene being a short dialogue between the main guy and a lady

Los desesperados has been updated to the new layout (3.0). Let us know if you can add anything: pictures, posters, trivia, facts, figures, links, etc…

1 Like

Thanks to those who posted details of the sequences missing from the 90m English version which is the only one I’ve seen. Annabella Incontrerra was pretty high on the cast list so it was a bit odd that she never appeared at all - I had mistakenly assumed she must have played Rosa who you never see either since there appeared to be a big jump between Hilton separating from Sam and arriving at chateau Sandoval. That is her on the You Tube trailer at about the 2m30-2m35s mark with a close up. This excision explains also why we are not properly introduced to Warner’s gang.

Give your rating for A Bullet for Sandoval. New poll is open for this one on the original post at the top of the page. :arrow_up: :+1: :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like