A Bullet for Sandoval / Quei disperati che puzzano di sudore e di morte / Los desesperados (Julio Buchs, 1969)

Now announced on BluRay… apparently with both versions

3 Likes

Great news. I have waited for this for a long time, DVD relelases were all crappy quality and cut.

Good news indeed! A real gem for sure

Great news…one in my top twenty.

So was the movies4men broadcast on UK TV … and a supposedly HD rip turned up a few years ago which appeared to be just an upscaled to 1080p version of similar quality.

I too would love to see a nice sharp clear print - fingers crossed for luck :wink:

2 Likes

Specs are:

• First time on Blu-ray, produced from new 4K-Scans of the 35mm negatives.
  • Two Versions included: the original US English shorter cut and a longer Spanish version (with over 10-minutes of additional footage, and featuring the original Spanish language and English language versions
    First time on Blu-ray, produced from new 4K-Scans of the 35mm negatives.
  • Commentary by Alex Cox, Actor, Director, Writer and expert on Spaghetti Westerns and director of Repo Man (1984) and Sid and Nancy (1986)
  • Original US Theatrical Trailer
1 Like

I saw Los desperados (A Bullet for Sandoval) the summer of 1973 or 1974, a British 16mm version that carried the title Vengeance Is Mine. As that title has been used for a lot of movies, most notably as the English title for Shōhei Imamura’s film about a modern-day serial killer, that’s made things a bit confusing for me. But I’ve always found the English titles for spaghetti westerns to be amusing. Some, like Ammazzali tutti e torna solo (Kill Them All and Come Back Alone) are surprisingly accurate translations. But others, like Ehi amico … cè Sabata. Hai chiuso! (Sabata), which literally translates as “Hey friend … it’s Sabata. You’re finished!” were mercifully shortened for American consumption. I swear I once ran across a listing once for a spaghetti western with the English title of Heads You Die, Tails I Kill You, but although it’s a great title, it must have been my imagination. Anyway, I’m looking forward to re-viewing Ernie Borgnine’s one Euro western appearance. Although why he did a Spanish production when he was one of the few American movie stars fluent in Italian is a mystery that will likely never be resolved.

1 Like

Perhaps you’re thinking of this title Testa t’ammazzo, croce… sei morto - Mi chiamano Alleluja, roughly translated as, ‘Heads I Kill You … Tails (Crosses) … You’re Dead’ starring George Hilton … it’s better known as ‘They Call Me Hallellujah’

3 Likes

I have always wanted to view an uncut version of this. Good thing it’s a good movie getting a proper Bluray restoration for a change as opposed to some Batzella or Lattanzi piece of crap. What with the frequency with which these turkeys are getting restored, a Bluray release of Seven Devils on Horseback might be around the corner, you never know.

2 Likes

Yeah way too much junk getting reissued, even junk that already have pretty good releases…

More stuff like Bullet for Sandoval is very much welcome…

Does VCI still have Minnesota Clay stateside? I am happy with the EM release but would pick up a release that had both cuts.

enlighten me? the EM release is supposedly uncut

EM is uncut with the happy ending intact, I prefer the way I originally watched it without the happy ending and just would have liked to see both endings on the EM release. Other than the ending both versions are identical though so not a huge deal.

I think the problem with the EM disc is that it does have both endings, but they’re just played back to back, while it should’ve been an extra feature :slight_smile: it ends with the bad ending but then just keeps playing the good ending on top of it

Very true!

have y’all pre-ordered? Quei disperati che puzzano di sudore e di morte/BluRay - The Spaghetti Western Database

And just to ask: was the movie cut after dubbing, i.e. might the longer cut also have integral English audio?

Yes,ordered along with four bullets for joe.

Late again but no not yet. Will do when I get paid though. Watched a poor version on Youtube years ago and enjoyed it.

Credits page has been created for Quei disperati che puzzano di sudore e di morte (A Bullet for Sandoval)

Thanks to @Carlos I was able to include the full Spanish opening and closing credits as well as the characters from the missing scenes!

1 Like