10,000 Ways to Die (Alex Cox)

Scherp, I think (or at least hope) you simply forgot to put a smiley face on that posting?

Nice review of Navajo Joe by the way; am looking forward to your take on O’Cangaceiro.

Another big spaghetti Western based feature from Alex appeared in this saturday’s Financial Times. It was front page of the Arts and Review section and can be read online here:

There is a clip of Alex Cox on the Fantoma release of The Great Silence, where he speaks about the film and a little of SWs in general

I think I’ll upload this to YouTube

Sure

Review of the book is finally finished and up on the site.

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/10%2C000_Ways_To_Die_Book_Review

Clear. A mustread

I’ll order it tomorrow

I know what he means by this semiotics; it’s not only that, the entire cultural studies were influenced by what British philosopher Simon Blackburn called ‘Gallic woolliness’ (Derrida, Baudrillard etc.), that is ‘saying as little as possible with as many difficult words as possible’. Good old Chris Frayling was still under the influence when writing his book Spaghetti westerns, Cowboys and europeans etc. Not a bad book (thinking about the contents), but awfully woolly in style. For that reason people unfamiliar with these things (semiotics, french structuralism etc;) might find the book nearly unreadable. Luckily he grew over this way of writing (as did Alex so it seems).

Just ordered it.

with our amazon links i hope? :stuck_out_tongue:

i also posted it on the SW webboard and on twitter…

Thanks for this review, seems like an interesting book

Were there any films you personally missed in this book, Phil?

I’ve uploaded the Alex Cox clip, and put it in the TGS page

Bunuel said something like: A philosopher I don’t understand is a scoundrel.

But I always thought Derrida is one of the “good guys”. At least it was always “jaques your body”.

The same here.

By coincidence, yes!

Even it got in the end to an Amazon marketplace seller, as Amazon.de has it not in stock today (and, ho ho, I could save me a cent).

I thought the publisher would send it to me… so far I haven’t heard from them… oh well, who has time to read books anyways? I’m currently reading three and then i read on average about 300 pages a week just school-related texts…

I’m sure the bastard is still not a great fan of Il mercenario. If this hasn’t changed I have to sent him a bunch of my “argumentators”.
Of course, you might say now, everybody can have his own opinions. In theory, yes, but in the real life it’s more pleasing to get the results you want.

[quote=“Stanton, post:70, topic:160”]Bunuel said something like: A philosopher I don’t understand is a scoundrel.

But I always thought Derrida is one of the “good guys”. At least it was always “jaques your body”.[/quote]

I followed one of his courses of lectures at the École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales; he was a very nice guy, and had some good ideas, but some rotten ideas too, and his way of writing was often absurd. Try to read one of his texts, for instance ‘Comment ne pas parler’ (Don’t know the title of the German translation), one of the least ‘difficult’ titles, and tell me what you make of it.

[quote=“Stanton, post:74, topic:160”]I’m sure the bastard is still not a great fan of Il mercenario. If this hasn’t changed I have to sent him a bunch of my “argumentators”.
Of course, you might say now, everybody can have his own opinions. In theory, yes, but in the real life it’s more pleasing to get the results you want.[/quote]

How does “a watchable, recycled Tortilla Western with obvious politics and too much comedy” grab you? :wink:

Better get those argumentators ready.

Nice motto, I’ll keep that one in mind

So far one of my favourites is of former Congolese president Mobutu, he once said there was no need for political opposition in his country, since he represented all Congolese people

or the bavarian satirist Polt who said “What do I need an opposition for, I’m already a democrat”

I just added up the interview with Alex too.

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Interview_with_Alex_Cox

If you see any typos let me know.

cool shit! phil you’re one rockin’ gringo