Zorro Films (Westerns and Non-Westerns)

Alot of Zorro films in the database. Anyone seen any and do you think they are westerns ?

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Venganza_del_Zorro%2C_La

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Marque_de_Zorro%2C_La

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Zorro

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Il_Sogno_di_Zorro

Iā€™ve always considered them Westerns. The Zorro character was originally based in Spanish California and that is THE WEST. Iā€™ve even included the Zorro films that take place in other countries and Europe becasue of the link to the Zorro character (ie Zorro and the 3 Musketeers, Delonā€™s Zorro takes place in South America). Iā€™ve always had a broad playing field for what I call westerns. I feel this is open to everyoneā€™s personal opinion. If you donā€™t agree ignore them. Iā€™d rather have too many then try and eliminate certain films or argue whether GBU is a Civil War film or a western, or Mexican Revolutionary and White Fang films should be included. They all have the feel of westerns so let each of us select from those in the database, like a buffet, that fit our own criteria of what is or is not a western.

2 Likes

A very good question,Ennioo.
I dont think so,in germany theyā€™ve been called ā€˜coat and sabreā€™ films,but its only one opinion
:wink:

I agree with Tom, my definition is a broad one too. the more the merrier :wink:

1 Like

I agree with Tom, it makes more sense to include all films that could possibly be considered as westerns. All the best spaghetti western books like those of Bruckner or Western allā€™ Italiana series includes all Zorro films and Zorro-like films with different names (El Coyte, El Lobo Negro, El Llaneroā€¦). Many of them take place in Wild West while others take place in old Spain and are very spaghetti-like. Some of them like Zorro and the 3 Musketeers do not have much to do with westerns besides Zorro character but I have included them to my collection anyway.

By the way, does anyone know anything about a film called Le meravigliose avventure di Zorro (1974)? Itā€™s directed by Luigi Valanzano whom we all know and respect (;D) for his Lā€™ostaggio and, like that film, Zorro also has all-kid cast. I donā€™t know anyone who has this film and canā€™t find any other info either. No synopsis, posters, picturesā€¦ need help!

Zorro films Iā€™m looking for, if anyone has these in any language Iā€™d be interested in trade!!

Paul Flon: La maniĆØre de Zorro (1926)
Mario Soldati: Il sogno di Zorro (1952)
JoaquĆ­n Luis Romero Marchent: Zorro the Avenger (Lā€™venganza del Zorro, 1962)
Umberto Lenzi: Invincible Masked Rider (Lā€™invincibile cavaliere mascherato, 1963)
Jesus Franco: Jaguar (El Llanero, 1963)
Piero Pierotti: Hercules and the masked rider (Golia e il cavaliere mascherato, 1964)
Piero Pierotti: Zorro the rebel (Zorro il ribelle, 1966)
Guido Zurli: Zorro the Fox (El Zorro, 1968)
Franco Montemurro: Zorro, the Navarra Marquis (Zorro, marchese di Navarra, 1969)
JosƩ Luis Merino: Zorro the Dominator (Zorro de Monterrey, 1971)
Gilbert Roussel: Red Hot Zorro (Les aventures galantes de Zorro, 1972)
Marius Lesoeur: La marque de Zorro (1974)
Luigi Valanzano: Le meravigliose avventure di Zorro (1974)
Mariano Laurenti: Dream of Zorro (Il sogno di Zorro, 1975)
Mario Camus: La vuelta de El Coyote (1998)

Zorro films I already have (made a list some weeks ago for trade with one Zorro-fanatic ;))

Joaquin Romero Marchent: El Coyote (1954)
Joaquin Romero Marchent: La justicia del Coyote (1954)
Luigi Capuano: Zorro alla corte di Spagna (1962)
Joaquin Romero Marchent: Cabalgando hacia la muerte - El Zorro / Lā€™ombra di Zorro (1963)
Mario Caiano: Il segno del Coyote / El vengador de California (1963)
Mario Caiano & Nathan Juran: Il segno di Zorro / El capitan intrepido (1963)
Ricardo Blasco: Las tres espadas del Zorro / Le tre spade di Zorro (1963)
Umberto Lenzi: Zorro contro Maciste (1963)
Luigi Capuano: Zorro e tre moschettieri (1963)
Ricardo Blasco: El Zorro cabalga otra vez / Il giuramento di Zorro (1965)
Marcello Ciorciolini: I nipoti di Zorro (1968)
Franco Montemurro: Zorro alla corte dā€™Inghilterra (1969)
JosƩ Luis Merino: El Zorro, caballero de la justicia / Zorro, il cavaliere della vendetta (1971)
Rafael Romero Marchent: ā€¦ E continuavano a chiamarlo figlio diā€¦ / El Zorro, justiciero (1972)
Gianfranco Baldanello: Il figlio di Zorro (1974)
Franco Lo Cascio: Ah, sƬ?.. E io lo dico a Zzzorro! / Nuevas aventura del Zorro (1975)
Duccio Tessari: Zorro (1975)
Rafael Romero Marchent: Duelo a muerte (1980)
Rafael Romero Marchent: El Lobo Negro (1980)

Silver Wolf thatā€™s a new one on me. Iā€™m not familiar with it at all. Iā€™ll try and find out more but knowing the respected director I donā€™t expect to find much.

Iā€™ve seen parts of Italian spaghetti-era Zorros on tele5 not long ago. One of them was Zorroā€™s Refenge with Fabio Testi.
For me this one was a western, because it used the same towns, actors, costumes, guns and plot of a SW. I looked like a SW and felt like one. It really was a SW, just with Zorro instead of, letā€™s say Django.

But I think there are Zorros, that are no westerns. The ones that are set in Mexico, somewhere before, letā€™S say 1860. They are as Lanky said ā€œcoat and sabreā€ to me as well.

So it really depends on the setting and equipment 'n stuff wether it is a western or not.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œDillinger, post:7, topic:1526ā€]Iā€™ve seen parts of Italian spaghetti-era Zorros on tele5 not long ago. One of them was Zorroā€™s Refenge with Fabio Testi.
For me this one was a western, because it used the same towns, actors, costumes, guns and plot of a SW.[/quote]
Not to mention that it recycles scenes from at least 2 older spaghetti westerns. ;D

Havenā€™t seen enough of it to spot that.

I havenā€™t seen any of these films but would like to.

1 Like

Funny, I thought about starting a topic about Zorro a while ago, you beat me to it ENNIOO

I saw Zorro and the Three Musketeers on an old VHS not long ago, but it wasnā€™t much western about it, more an old-fashioned matinee adventure, and it didnā€™t even take place in America.

But I agree these films are definitely related to SWs, and some of the later ones probably have more in common with SWs, especially if theyā€™re set in Mexico or California.

There is also the real SW Quintana that is not a true Zorro movie, but have some Zorro influences, check it out if you can.

just got ahold of a few Zorro titles. Havenā€™t had a chance to check them out, was kinda wondering how closely they resemble a spaghetti myself, as Iā€™ve not been terribly interested in the character

IMO Zorro Movies arenā€™t Westerns. Zorro is using most of his time a whip or a rapier to fight against his enemies and not a gun. For me the Zorro Movies are Cloak-and-Sword Movies. They have more in common with the Musketeer Movies or Robin Hood.

Still havenā€™t seen STARBLACK, which is often cited as a Zorro-inspired spaghetti western

What also interests me, is where this idea of the masked vigilante originally comes from
There are some famous stories in world literature that play a little with the idea of a man who comes back to his birthplace and fights the bad guys incognito, and is only later recognized by his loved ones, like Homerā€™s ODYSSEA and Dumasā€™ THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO, but that is not exactly the same idea (Return of Ringo uses this premisse too of course)
Zorro is a kind of Batman, someone who fights villains in disguise, and looks like a bit of a silly, soft, goody-goody guy in day-to-day life. Anybody any idea where and when this idea was used first?

Maybe Batman was influenced by Zorro.

The masked Hero who helps the poor against a tyrannā€¦ sounds after an old story! :slight_smile:

I looked around a little on Wikipedia, and they say that yes, Batman was influenced by Zorro

They mention the Dumas novel I already mentioned, THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO, but donā€™t mention Homer, which is a bit odd since he uses the same story device in the lasts books of the Odyssea

Robin Hood is mentioned too as a source. Hadnā€™t thought about that guy from Nottingham, but itā€™s true, he protects the poor like Zorro. But as far as I know he never was described as being in disguise

But I guess there are real Zorro experts on this forum, who have a lot to add to all this

1 Like

Yes but how about the black knight from Scottā€™s Ivanhoe? Robin Hoodā€™s old Buddy?

Just viewed Zorro The Fox (1968), and would say this is a western in my view.

George Ardisson (who had played Zorro before ) is effective enough in the role, in a film which I will have probably forgotten about tomorrow.

George Ardisson is a safe bet anyway.

I do not mind George Ardisson.