James Coburn
Warren Oats
Van Cleef
Mickey Rourke
Lee Marvin
Harvey Keitel
Bogart

honorable mentions: Mifune, Daniel Day Lewis, Klaus Kinski, Leo DiCaprio

Making such a list is almost impossible, it needs to be a top 20 or 30 for me to include most my favorites.
But here is a try.

Clint Eastwood
Humphrey Bogart
James Steward
Charlton Heston
Anthony Hopkins
John Thaw
Alain Delon
Sylvester Stallone
Michael Caine
Christopher Lee

Yeah for that performance alone he deserves to be there.

Sterling Hayden
warren Oates
Robert Ryan
Humphrey Bogart
Lee Van Cleef
Richard Conte
Burt Lancaster
Robert Mitchum
Dana Andrews
Franco Nero

I want to add Richard Burton and Robert Shaw as honorable mentions to my top ten. Burton is great in his final role as O’Brien in 1984 and Shaw is great period.

Charlton Heston seems to be quite a popular choice. I never really liked him, a bit to he-man for me, sames goes for Stallone.

[quote=“korano, post:25, topic:2153”]Sterling Hayden
warren Oates
Robert Ryan
Humphrey Bogart
Lee Van Cleef
Richard Conte
Burt Lancaster
Robert Mitchum
Dana Andrews
Franco Nero[/quote]
Unsurprisingly, seven of the actors you chose have appeared in Film Noirs. Incidently, I’ve just got hold of The Big Combo, so when I have viewed I’ll post my thoughts on the Noir thread.

Lee appeared in a noir.

I counted Lee.

The actors who have appeared (to my knowledge) in Noir are:

1. Robert Ryan
  2. Humphrey Bogart
  3. Lee Van Cleef
  4. Richard Conte
  5. Burt Lancaster
  6. Robert Mitchum
  7. Dana Andrews

Good.

8 ) Sterling Hayden

Ah, yes I foregot, he has appeared in a few Film Noirs, apparently.

An honourable mention to Laurel and Hardy, W. C. Fields and the Marx Brothers, as they surely would have got in a top twenty list for me.

Paul Newman – Probably the only actor who would’ve been a better No Name than No Name himself, Clint that is. Great screen-presence, when he was on-screen, the film moved. Favs: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Hud, Cool Hand Luke

William Holden – Some people like actors who make acting look difficult, the Nicholsons and de Niros of this world. I prefer actors who make acting look easy. Favs: The Wild Bunch, Stalag 17, Sunset Blvd

Vincent Cassel – I’ll watch anything he’s in, yes, even Blueberry. He has this special quality to electrify the screen. Favs: La Haine, Les Rivières Pourpres, Eastern Promises

Lee van Cleef – As a child I always rooted for the black fairy, so as a boy, when I started to watch westerns, I always rooted for the villains dressed in black, preferably the ones with angel eyes. Favs: GBU, The Big Gundown, Death rides a Horse

Pernell Roberts – I never forget Bonanza. The world never was the same again after he had left the show. As a small child, when we played Bonanza, I always wanted to be Adam Bonanza (we thought that was a family name), not obvious for a redhead with freckles. Fav: Bonanza

Giuliano Gemma – A few years later, when I no longer watched Bonanza, but still loved westerns, and still was a red redhead with freckles, I dreamt of being as good-looking as Giuliano Gemma. Life aint easy. Favs: I Giorni dell’Ira, Arizona Colt, Ringo (2X)

Jan Decleir – You probably don’t know him, but he’s the best actor of the Low Countries, better than Rutger Hauer and Jeroen Krabbé (who are good actors too of course). Try The Memory of a Killer. Favs: The Memory of a killer, Daems, Mira

Marcello Mastroianni – A conversation on the phone, anno 1962. Federico – I need you for a new film, Marcello. Marcello: What’s it about? Federico: I don’t know yet, Marcello, we’ll see. Marcello: Okay, I’m coming. And then they made Otto e Mezzo. Favs: 8 ½, La Dolce Vita, Una Giornata Particolare

Henry Fonda – Another of those guys who made acting look easy. A good guy, yes, but for me he’s one of the great baddies. Favs: Once Upon a Time in the West, Warlock, Fort Apache

Alain Delon – Okay, he was in Red Sun, but that’s a forgettable eurowestern. He could’ve been a great Mortimer like, sophisticated avenger in a Leone movie, but when Leone made his best movies, he was too young. Luckily he met Melville who brought up the best in him. Favs: Le Samouraï, The Red Circle, Le clan des Siciliens

My fave Pernell appearance was in Ride Lonesome. Great film and he was excellent in it.
(I liked Bonanza as a kid too but always wanted to be Little Joe. He had a better horse I thought ;D )

[quote=“Phil H, post:34, topic:2153”]My fave Pernell appearance was in Ride Lonesome. Great film and he was excellent in it.
(I liked Bonanza as a kid too but always wanted to be Little Joe. He had a better horse I thought ;D )[/quote]

In that case we only need a Hoss and a Paaah to be the Bonanzas

[quote=“John Welles, post:29, topic:2153”]I counted Lee.

The actors who have appeared (to my knowledge) in Noir are:

1. Robert Ryan
  2. Humphrey Bogart
  3. Lee Van Cleef
  4. Richard Conte
  5. Burt Lancaster
  6. Robert Mitchum
  7. Dana Andrews[/quote]What you say is true, John. But several of these actors have also appeared in spaghettis. (Come to think of it)

1.) Sterling Hayden-Cipolla Colt
2.) Warren Oates-China 9, Liberty 37
3.) Robert Ryan-Minute to Pray, Second to Die
4.) Lee Van Cleef
5.) Richard Conte- Death Sentence
6.) Burt Lancaster-Valdez is Coming (not real Spaghetti though)
8.) Robert Mitchum-Villa Rides (Same as above)

Some good choices scherpschutter, but I’m not sure if Paul Newman would have made a better No-Name…

totally for got about Fonda…and especially good choices with Fort Apache and West

Henry Fonda was a great actor, one of the few who could play heroes and villians (not often enougth!) just as well.

1. James Cagney
  2. Paul Newman
  3. Alain Delon
  4. Clint Eastwood
  5. Chow Yun-Fat
  6. Michael Caine
  7. Claude Rains
  8. Humphrey Bogart
  9. Al Pacino
  10. James Woods