Your top five non-western movies?

Just wondering if anyone has a top 5 list of films (not westerns), that they watch again and again…
I have many more than 5 that I adore, but think ‘5’ is a small enough number to make people really wrack their brains.

1. Planet of the Apes (original Charlton Heston version)
  2. The Italian Job (original Michael Caine version)
  3. Zulu
  4. The Great Escape
  5. Murder on the Orient Express

[quote=“Toscano, post:1, topic:1169”]Just wondering if anyone has a top 5 list of films (not westerns), that they watch again and again…
I have many more than 5 that I adore, but think ‘5’ is a small enough number to make people really wrack their brains.

1. Planet of the Apes (original Charlton Heston version)
  2. The Italian Job (original Michael Caine version)
  3. Zulu
  4. The Great Escape
  5. Murder on the Orient Express[/quote]

Nice topic. 5 is a pretty small number i guess…but here goes

1. Vanishing Point
  2. Big Wednesday
  3. Harold And Maude
  4. Silent Running
  5. Class of 1984

Not exactly classic viewing but there it is…

[quote=“Silver, post:2, topic:1169”]Nice topic. 5 is a pretty small number i guess…but here goes

1. Vanishing Point
  2. Big Wednesday
  3. Harold And Maude
  4. Silent Running
  5. Class of 1984

Not exactly classic viewing but there it is…[/quote]

Some good choices there…especially ‘Silent Running’, which I do think is a ‘classic’…
As for 5 being a small number - you’re right…so I’ll add another 5 I can’t live without (and hang the consequences!)

1. Alien
  2. Blade Runner
  3. King Kong (original 1933 version)
  4. Jason and the Argonauts
  5. Twelve Angry Men

My top five:

1. Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia.

2. Cross of Iron.

3. The Getaway (original version).

4. Deathwish.

5. Kelly’s Heroes.

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:5, topic:1169”]My top five:

1. Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia.

2. Cross of Iron.

3. The Getaway (original version).

4. Deathwish.

5. Kelly’s Heroes.[/quote][quote=“ENNIOO, post:5, topic:1169”]My top five:

6. Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia.

7. Cross of Iron.

8. The Getaway (original version).

9. Deathwish.

10. Kelly’s Heroes.[/quote]

Kelly’s Heroes is a good choice…I understand that Donald Sutherland has also stated that his role as ‘Oddball’ is his favourite from all his movies… The scene at the end, where they send up the Leone duel scenes is pretty cool!

That is interesting to know .

Great role for the actor and seemed to be really getting into the role and enjoying himslf.

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:7, topic:1169”]That is interesting to know .

Great role for the actor and seemed to be really getting into the role and enjoying himslf.[/quote]

I remember that’s why I originally fell in love with this film, because of D.S.'s portrayal of Oddball. The idea of putting a band of hippie misfits in a S.W.W. setting, was brilliant!
I thought the score by Lalo Schifrin was outstanding, and the other actors performances were also top-notch. Eastwood was as cool and great to watch, as usual.

5 art movies even SD should have seen:

Mon Oncle - Tati
Otto e mezzo - Fellini
City Lights - Chaplin
La Notte di San Lorenzo - Taviani Brothers
Au revoir les enfants - Malle

5 non-western action movies I frequently rewatch:

Gladiator
Braveheart
Spartacus
Yojimbo
Dirty Harry

5 comedies you should watch before you die (laughing):
It’s a Gift
Duck Soup
Flying High (aka Airplane)
The Nutty Professor
Blazing saddles

Two Local Tips:

Godforsaken (Van God Los) - recent great Dutch movie
L’Enfant - great recent Belgian movie

This is a real toughie.
Whittling every non western down to a top five is almost impossible but, for sake of discussion, I’m going with the following as 5 films I never tire of watching.

1. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
  2. The Big Lebowski
  3. Monkey Business (The Marx Brothers)
  4. Broadway Danny Rose
  5. Midnight Cowboy

Reservoir Dogs
Fargo
Hamlet (Kenneth Brannagh version)
Blade I, II or III
Gladiator

Dr. Strangelove
The Third Man
The Big Lebowski
Rashomon
Team America World Police

Didn’t realize the Marx Bros. were so well thought of on this site, Phil & Scherp. They were sheer genius.

Not easy ! Right now I’d say:

Blue Velvet
Reservoir Dogs
The city of lost children
Dead Presidents
Sherlock Holmes - Spider Woman

Easy for me :smiley:

1. Fucking Åmål

2. The Bourne trilogy

3. Enter the Dragon

4. Thriller-En Grym Film

5. Under Siege (Steven Seagal)

In no order (and could easily change)

Dirty Harry
The taking of Pelham 1 2 3
Violent Naples
Enter the Dragon
The Gauntlet

…it really is too hard

I watched this a good few years ago and even though i don’t remember it that well (maybe i should see it again) but i do recall enjoying it but i didn’t understand the ending. I don’t want to give ot away for those that haven’t seen it but why did he do what he did.

I guess that’s the big question with this film. I suppose there are a lot of things that could have contributed to it. I mean he takes a bucketload of speed so he’s probably reacking up some severe paranoia. He’s shown to have had a pretty tragic past and has drifted from job to job getting more and more disillusioned. He’s realised he’s past thirty and going nowhere… There’s all the stuff about freedom, and i suppose the character could be seen as representing the disenfranchised and anti-establishment. The only victory he can achieve at the end is what he does. In many ways the whole film is pretty pointless…just an excuse for great car chases, great music and fantastic scenery. This is actually my favourite film and has been since i was a kid. And having written this i’m beginning to understand the whole OUATITW thing… :-[

Vanishing Point is a great movie. How weird was the naked girl on the motorcycle scene?! Cool though. I agree Silver, he was doing some serious speed throughout the film that had to lead to severe paranoia among other things. Rebel without a cause…

My all time favourite Lalo Schifrin score!

We had a similar thread some months ago:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,926.0.html

Maybe someone will contribute a big one too.