Your top five non-western movies?

I have all of their films and they all get watched repeatedly in our house as my kids are also big fans. I could have picked any number of theirs to fit into this top 5 but lumped for Monkey Business as my overall favourite. Non stop Marx Madness from beginning to end with none of the romance and singing of the later MGM films.

I guess you have to be raised on this stuff to really get it but these films, along with those of Laurel and Hardy, are still a constant source of joy to me.

The Marx Brothers are in a class of their own. I still horse-laugh when watching their films but also, Iā€™m amazed at their ā€˜multi-talents.ā€™ Same thing with Stan Laurel and Buster Keaton.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œPhil H, post:22, topic:1169ā€]I have all of their films and they all get watched repeatedly in our house as my kids are also big fans. I could have picked any number of theirs to fit into this top 5 but lumped for Monkey Business as my overall favourite. Non stop Marx Madness from beginning to end with none of the romance and singing of the later MGM films.

I guess you have to be raised on this stuff to really get it but these films, along with those of Laurel and Hardy, are still a constant source of joy to me.[/quote]

I have a few on VHS I taped off telly years ago. Donā€™t know how many they made but would love to get them all. They are funny everytime I watch them.

I have a couple of Laurel and Hardy tapes as wellā€¦superb.

MGM killed them.
Even A Night at the Opera canā€™t compete with their 5 Paramount films.

Duck Soup is the best, followed by Animal Crackers and Horse Feathers.

And still the most puzzling question on earth: Why a Duck?

MGM killed the Marx Bros. just like Monogram ruined Charlie Chan.

[quote=ā€œstanton, post:25, topic:1169ā€]MGM killed them.
Even A Night at the Opera canā€™t compete with their 5 Paramount films.

Duck Soup is the best, followed by Animal Crackers and Horse Feathers.

And still the most puzzling question on earth: Why a Duck?[/quote]

I agree but, in commercial terms, MGM (or more accurately Irving Thalberg) rejuvenated their careers after Paramount had dropped them for not being popular enough. They were in the wilderness and hadnā€™t made a movie in 3 years when Thalberg signed them up. Unfortunately for us, his plan to make them more commercial was to add a love interest and musical numbers into their films. It worked. Their MGM films were the most popular of any they made but the down side was that they were only 50 per cent Marx Brothers comedy with rest being the add in stuff which we all find boring now. A Night at the Opera is a perfect example. It contains some of the best Marx Brothers routines ever but also long stretches of operetta and corny love scenes. Thatā€™s why most fans prefer the earlier Paramount ones. 100% Marx Brothers in those and all of them gems.

And why a no chicken?

Iā€™m also a big fan of Marx brothers. They were really ahead of their time. Duck Soup was their funniest and most anarchistic film but unfortunately it was also their biggest failure on the box office. Such a films wouldnā€™t be made until the sixties when Monty Python started.

Nosferatu - F.W. Murnau
Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari - Robert Wiene
Duck Soup - Leo McCarey
Eraserhead - David Lynch
Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes - Werner Herzog

1 Like

The Black Cat (Edgar Ulmer, 1931)
Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse (Fritz Lang, 1932)
Freaks (Todd Browning, 1932)
The Conformist (Bernado Bertolucci 1970)
Battle of Algiers (Gillo Pontecorvo, 1966)

Apocalypse Now (1979, Francis Ford Coppola)
Chinatown (1974, Roman Polanski)
The Killer (1989, John Woo)
Wild Strwaberries (1957, Ingmar Bergman)
Tenebre (1982, Dario Argento)

In no particular order.
It was really hard to compile, thereā€™re lots of movies i would like to put on a list as well.

This is hard, very hard.

Once upon a time in America (1984, Sergio Leone)
Breathless (1960, Jean-Luc Godard)
Oldboy (2003, Park Chan-wook)
Reservoir Dogs (1992, Quentin Tarantino)
Pulp Fiction (1994, Quentin Tarantino)

Iā€™ll stick to the ones from my old list:

1. Otto e mezzo (Fellini 61)
  2. 2001: A Space Odysee (Kubrick 68)
  3. Old Boy (Park Chan-Wook 03)
  4. Mulholland Drive (Lynch 02)
  5. Touch of Evil (Welles 58)

Late as usual.

In no specific order:

Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979, Werner Herzog)
The Spirit of the Beehive (1973, Victor Erice)
Stalker (1979, Andrei Tarkovsky)
Shadow of a Doubt (1943, Alfred Hitchcock)
Nineteen Eighty-Four (1984, Michael Radford)

1 Like

Five films I never tire of:

Thief(Michael Mann)
To Kill A Mockingbird(Robt. Mulligan)
The Thing(John Carpenter)
The Outsiders(Francis Ford Coppola)
Sorcerer(William Friedkin)

Five films I never tire of because maybe Iā€™m a little touched:

Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?
The Big Lebowski
Big Trouble in Little China
The Fearless Vampire Killers
Snatch

[quote=ā€œAceHigh, post:35, topic:1169ā€]Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?
The Big Lebowski[/quote]

Iā€™m with you on these two brother. Coen Brothers at their best.

[quote=ā€œPhil H, post:36, topic:1169ā€]Iā€™m with you on these two brother. Coen Brothers at their best.[/quote]I liked The Big Lebowski but i struggled to get into oh brother for some reason.

I love Fargo though.

Here are mine, in no particular order. I guess later I shall think of 20 others !

1. The Innocents (1961, Jack Clayton)
  2. Nosferatu (1922, F W Murnau)
  3. Kill Bill (2003, Quentin Tarantino)
  4. Planet Of The Apes (1968, Franklin J Schaffner)
  5. The Incredible Journey (1963, Fletcher Markle)
  • because I wanted to fit a childhood fave in and because I am a sentimental old fool who loves animals, especially dogs. I know many of those Disney ā€œtrue lifeā€ adventures were cheesy but this is based on a great novel by Sheila Burnford which I read over and over as a child. I never fail to have tears in my eyes at the end. I wonā€™t spoil it if you donā€™t know it but if you have kids of your own I recommend you get them this film and/or the book. There was a remake in 1993 but it is quite different and not nearly as good, although the kids will probably still enjoy it.
    Right, enough from this big kid for now.

[quote=ā€œMejimbo, post:38, topic:1169ā€]5. The Incredible Journey (1963, Fletcher Markle)

ā€¦tears in my eyes at the end.[/quote]

Iā€™m crying just remembering this. Iā€™d challenge anybody not to be a bit moist at the end of this! :ā€™( :wink:

I remember seeing it at the pictures as a kid with my next door neighbour. She had to be taken out of the cinema because her howling sobs were disturbing the rest of the audience. Iā€™ve never let her forget it either.

1. jaws (1975)
  2. raiders of the lost ark (1981)
    3.towering inferno (1974)
  3. dawn of the dead (1978) (romeroā€™s original)
  4. king kong (1933) ( the original and still the best)
    the above five films i never tire of seeing and had a ā€œknock my socks off " effect on me the first time i saw them and all are still impressive today, the dawn of the dead update is a good film but not a touch on the original and peter jacksonā€™s remake of ā€œking kongā€ is a very good and respectful effort but the original is amazing for itā€™s time and still rules as " the king of monster moviesā€.