Your first spaghetti western?

A couple of weeks ago I finally bougt “The Drummer of Vengeance”.

Why “finally”? Because this was the first SW I ever watched. I was like 11 or 12 years old as I saw it on the German station RTL (back then RTLplus). Back then the movie seemed quite spooky to me with this ragged little drummer, the partly horrified baddies and of course the strange backflashs.

Years later, when I intensified my SW-watching I remembered that movie and finally found the title which is quite crappy in German: Zeig mir das SPielzeug des Todes (= show me the toy of death).

Now, years later I own the poor German DVD (the sound of the music is awful), BUT, I own it… and I re-watched the movie! After so many Years!

How about you? Can you remember your first spaghetti western?

Similar topic already exists somewhere

The first one was ‘Vado l’ammazzo e torno’,it must have been 1982.
My father and me went to the video store and wanted to lend ‘Django’,but it was already lend.So we took ‘Vado l’ammazzo e torno’,wich was a Django in the german version (Leg ihn um Django).
It was damned good for the first one ;D
A few weeks later we saw ‘Django’ for the first time,i’ll never forget that.There was no western i saw before ‘Django’,wich have a little chance against that.
It’s still the greatest,behind ‘Good,bad,ugly’,for me. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Dillinger, post:1, topic:1444”]A couple of weeks ago I finally bougt “The Drummer of Vengeance”.

Why “finally”? Because this was the first SW I ever watched. I was like 11 or 12 years old as I saw it on the German station RTL (back then RTLplus). Back then the movie seemed quite spooky to me with this ragged little drummer, the partly horrified baddies and of course the strange backflashs.

Years later, when I intensified my SW-watching I remembered that movie and finally found the title which is quite crappy in German: Zeig mir das SPielzeug des Todes (= show me the toy of death).

Now, years later I own the poor German DVD (the sound of the music is awful), BUT, I own it… and I re-watched the movie! After so many Years!

How about you? Can you remember your first spaghetti western?[/quote]

Indeed, similar topic exists, but until somebody found it:

I think I saw the same airing of this film
Back in the 80s a Luxemburg Network, RTLwhatever, used to show one western (usually a spaghetti) a week, on wednesday night, at about 9 o’clock

I must have seen dozens of SWs then.
most of them I have forgotten by now, but i still remember Drummer of Vengeance

RTL - thank you very much !

I also must have seen one of the three dollar films, because Paul Hogan made fun of Eastwoods character in fis TV show. The show was broadcast in Germany in the early or mid 80s AND when I saw the Eastwood parody I knew, that there was a westerer he made fun of. So I must have seen Clint’s man with no name somewhere before… but I really can’t remember exactly…

My first was GBU. After watching one of the back to th future movies, I noticed a scene with A Fistful of Dollars. I didn’t know there were any other films. I rented FFOD from the video store and enjoyed myself snce then. y first non Leone was a Bullet for the General.

While I’m sure I saw the dollars trilogy I’m sure I did not understand them to be Italian at that time. The first Spaghetti I remember as a Spaghetti was They Call Me Trinity. I saw it on TV on a Saturday afternoon when I was about 13 or 14. I was transfixed. I didn’t know what to think of Terrence Hill. I had never seen such a filthy western “hero”. The opening scene in the way station was a revelation.

Kind of funny, but it remains the ONLY Spaghetti comedy I really enjoy.

Yes, of course, the two trinities! THey really were the first spaghettis!!!

Yeah, aside from the Dollars/Leone films the Trinity films might be the most familiar Spaghettis for Americans.
Later, I remember seeing Hill’s Super Fuzz on American TV too. (way before cable TV!!!)

And I remember seeing Guns for San Sebastian of AMC! Very rare one. And now they are having Deaf Smith and Johnny Ears along with a Bullet for Sandoval coming to Encore Westerns on December 5th. Still haven;t seen all of San Sebastian though.

Do you know if they broadcast uncut version of “Bullet for Sandoval”? If so someone should record it

Yes, someone should record this if it is uncut!!!

I don’t have cable or I would do it. Would be great if it is uncut…

I don’t have DVR. I hope I’ll be able to catch it. They’ve been showing Take a Hard Ride, God’s Gun, and Red Sun on Encore Westerns here in the US. We should put the word out for people who do have DVR so they can tape it and spread the love.

I’m really surprised that they are showing Deaf Smith…It doesn’t even have a US relelase. Not to mention being very rare. Same with El Condor whih doesn’t even have a DVD release!

[quote=“Romaine Fielding, post:9, topic:1444”]Yeah, aside from the Dollars/Leone films the Trinity films might be the most familiar Spaghettis for Americans.
Later, I remember seeing Hill’s Super Fuzz on American TV too. (way before cable TV!!!)[/quote]

Yeah I think you’re right, although some Americans might be familiar with Django and Great Silence as well.

Does anybody know how much the Trinity movies grossed in the US?

There is a Canadian digital cable channel called “drive in classics” which shows cult movies including SW’s, but I don’t subscribe to this channel but I did take a look at their listings and they showed movies like 7 guns for the mcgregors and Adios sabata.

As for my first SW, it was death rides a horse, just a couple of years ago. Yes I discovered SW’s relatively late in the cycle.

I was a late bloomer too.

I believe it was Once Upon a Time In The West for me.

Whaaaaattttt?
Heehee, a late bloomer???

If you had become a Spaghetti fan any earlier it would have had to be in the womb !!! :wink:

Did your mom watch a lot of Spaghettis when she was pregnent?

I wish I knew as much about Spaghettis when I was your age as you do

HEHEHEHE! Well, not that early. I actually remember the exact moment that decided my future. Gather round children. There as once a video store that me and my family went to each weekend. We wer there so often, the owners gave us discounts. Until the fateful day when they closed. They were selling their video stock at half price. And my dad found GBU. He remebered seeing the Dollars trilogy in drive ins when the films came out and remebered this one. So he bought it. He and my brother watched it the first day but I could care less. I didn’t give a shit abut westerns. Especially a 3 hour slow paced one. But I became intereted and watched it one day and thought it was ok. I watched it again and again and began to like it more and more. And as I said earlier, I caught BACK TO THE Future and watched the other two dollars films. And the rest, history.

And actually, my Mom has watched quie a few spaghettis. She paticularly liked Companeros and My Name is Nobody. She also liked Duck, You Sucker and Sabata. But I think she has had enough. I remember her cheering when Franco Ressel got it in Sabata. YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I guess everybody has there own story on how they chanced upon SW’s. For me I came about it by accident. I have a friend who loves Leone and Kurasawa movies. I came over to his house one day to play some basketball and saw him watching a clint eastwood movie. “Is this fistful of dollars?” I asked him. He said no, this is the sequel for a few dollars more, which I’ve never heard of before (ignorant I know). I wasn’t so much facinated by the movies as I was facinated by how facinated my friend was in these movies haha. He showed me the hat shooting scene as well as the mule laughing scene in FFD.

I thought it was pretty cool but still not worth investing my time over. THan I came accross a movie called death rides a horse on a torrent download and watched it and fell in love with the genre right than and there. Finally I saw what my friend saw in these movies. Before that I didn’t give a shit about westerns. Than I watched the dollars trilogy in earnest and LVC became my hero.

The first I saw was “Um dólar furado” (Un Dollaro Bucato) with Giuliano Gemma. I never had the chance to saw it again.
But I read that Impulso will release it in the “La sagrada collección del spaghetti western”. I´ll wait!