Your Favorite "Pseudo-Westerns"

This.

Agreed, another good one.

Plus also Walking Tall (a hixploitation classic) and perhaps Escape From New York.

This Film is great!
Filmed in Almeria… with a pseydo Mexican Gang where is drinking Coffee instead of Whiskey :smiley:

Straight to Hell recently was…I don’t think it was a director’s cut, but the print was cleaned up? Anyway, it was released as Straight to Hell Returns. Worth a look for sure.

Well, I was inspired to take out and the new DVD watch it for the first time. A bit of extra added footage, lots of CGI’d blood splatters. The print looks much, much better than any I’ve seen before.

It’s a sort of uneven film, a lark on the part of the filmmakers and cast, mostly members of the Pogues, who had expected to show up for a tour of Nicaragua, but did not get the expected funding, so they made a movie in Almeria instead, flying by the seat of their pants. If it’s a classic, it’s definitely of the cult variety. Joe Strummer, Dick Rude and Sy Richardson take the lead, with a supporting cast that includes a young Courtney Love, Elvis Costello, Dennis Hopper, Jim Jarmusch, Grace JONES, Edward Tudor-Pole, and other familiar faces.

There are some great scenes – if you like gunfights, you’ll enjoy the showdown across the tiny town at the end. But my favorite scene is, the night after a funeral, Cait O’Riordan of the Pogues leads the whole cast in a singing of “Danny Boy,” as the camera slowly pulls out to bring them all in frame. That the scene doesn’t make sense in the context of the rest of the film is only because the rest of the film doesn’t make sense either.

It’s amazing how Shane McGowan resembles Jose Terron!

[Looking back at the thread, the name Grace Kelly in the cast list above stuck out at me. Obviously, she wasn’t in this. I meant Grace Jones.]

Yep. Just cleaned up as I understand.

Deadlock - has everything an italo needs

Bad Day at Black Rock - its even listed in the joe hembus westernlexikon, a very good movie, but when this is a western - every
steven seagal and most of revenge-movies could be called western …

the Misfits

Convoy - is often compared to western. trucks have 500 horsepower, only poor Django had to pull the coffin all by himself !

Just received Straight to Hell Returns.
I was mistaken above, it does include half a dozen previously missing scenes along with the clean up and insertion of CGI created blood. Am looking forward to checking out how it compares to the original (which I like a lot). It certainly looks nicer than the previous DVD I have. Very nicely restored.

Of equal interest for me (and some others here I suspect) is the inclusion on the disc of Alex’s student project film from 1977 called The Black Hills. Apparently he took off to Almeria with a 16mm camera and shot all the old western towns. Acts as a very cool little historic document now of how they looked then. Run down of course, but still in use occasionally. Interesting to see the El Paso town post heyday but pre theme park. It’s only a very short and silent film but well worth a look.

I’m looking over my original post on this thread and I can’t believe I left out the Warriors. That’s pretty much a modern day western right?

Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia is classic and great one.

Love Peckinpah, his films are remarkable, but haven’t seen this one.
Damn, there is so many classics I haven’t seen. >:(

I know what you mean, I still haven’t watched The Big Gundown :-[!

Then watch it as soon as possible.
Aside Leone classics the best sw ever IMO.:wink:

THE STRANGER a 1995 biker film starring Kathi Long has plenty of SW elements including the score.

[quote=“Mickey13, post:52, topic:2322”]Then watch it as soon as possible.
Aside Leone classics the best sw ever IMO.;)[/quote]

I agree! In fact I actually think its at least as good as Fistful.

Recommended, yes, definitely. Still half as good as FoD, but twice as good as Death Rides a Horse

and thrice as good as Navajo Joe and ten times as good as the finest Fidani

ehrrr … no and yes

re: THE BIG GUNDOWN (la Resa dei Conti)

Sollima certainly didn’t have the style and visual flair of a Leone (or a Corbucci), but he was a good film maker, and in the case of this movie he had very good story material to his disposal. The film has a few flaws, but they’re outweighed by the good and interesting things. It’s one of the best working political westerns of them all (the film simply works), on a level with Corbucci’s best. What I also like in Sollima, is that his movies are different. It’s the same political message of the Corbucci Zapatas, but the film feels completely different. If Corbucci would have directed it, we would still recognize the message, but most probably not the movie.

Tears of the Black Tiger!

Watch it and you will see it :wink:

Blood In, Blood Out - Especially for Bill Conti’s powerful SW style score.