Your Favorite "Pseudo-Westerns"

Lone Wolf McQuade with Chuck Norris is a modern day cop film but it’s filled with Spaghetti Westernisms. The opening scene is excellent and the DeMasi score keeps me hooked.

Supervixens… very gritty action/sex movie, filmed in Arizona and New Mexico.

Is that an Action movie?

No, is Trash.
Very Big Trash.

But a “Pseudo-Western” ?
Really :o

A good another Pseudo-Western:
Heat with Al Pacino an Robert De Niro. Great :wink:

[quote=“The Stranger, post:24, topic:2322”]No, is Trash.
Very Big Trash.

But a “Pseudo-Western” ?
Really :o[/quote]

Its really well directed I think, the acting was much better than I expected… that Charles Napier is pretty damn evil, one of the scariest villains i’ve ever seen. The desert landscapes and grittiness make it feel like a western for me.

Oh yes, the desert landscapes are cool.

MyFavorite:

1. Assault on Precinct 13 (John Carpenter) The new one is crap!!!
  2. Trespass
  3. Extreme Prejudice.

I can say “The Punisher” with Thomas Jane? More times in the film there are scenes as in western movies, even a shooting like “The good, the bad and the ugly” ;D

[quote=“tomobea, post:27, topic:2322”]MyFavorite:

1. Assault on Precinct 13 (John Carpenter) The new one is crap!!![/quote]

Yes, very good movie. With an incredibly dark atmosphere.
And I agree with the new one is not so good.
There is also a French version of the film: Nid de Guêpes (The Nest). Which is even worse.

The original remains the original. :wink:

high voltage 1997 was good pseudo western with non stop action in the style of john woo and music like tarantino flicks

Well, 3 Walt Hill films were already mentioned, so he wins the defacto Best Pseudo-Western Director award… I’ll toss-in Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia, The Getaway with McQueen, hmmmm… a couple Ernest Borgnine classics; Bad Day At Black Rock, Violent Saturday… The 12-part serials; RCMP And The Treasure Of Genghis Khan, King Of The Forest Rangers… I’ll think of a few more, I’m sure.

The Jericho TV Series. On the DVD extras, in an interview with the Director, he even says that one of the premises is that when 20 nuclear bombs go off around the country, society basically devolves into the Old West.

I went to look up the name of a film I’ve always thought struck me as being a western, or at least an extension of the “mysterious tough guy comes to town,” angle that so many spaghettis play up, and guess who the director was? Yep, that’s right: Walter Hill.

The film is Hard Times, from 1975, and stars two former spaghetti heroes, Charles Bronson and James Coburn. It’s a depression-era story about a bare knuckles boxer, and is another stellar Hill film.

Not really a Western maybe not even a Pseudo Western cause the story is taken place on a train:
Emperor of the North Pole

others:
Deliverance and the Charlie Bronson Flick Mr. Majestyk :slight_smile:

[quote=“Paco Roman, post:34, topic:2322”]Not really a Western maybe not even a Pseudo Western cause the story is taken place on a train:
Emperor of the North Pole

others:
Deliverance and the Charlie Bronson Flick Mr. Majestyk :)[/quote]

I forgot about Deliverance. -Has the same ‘woodsy’ feel as First Blood. The River Wild… ? Nah… not ‘pseudo’ enough.

Btw, Walt hill also wrote the screenplay for Peckinpah’s The Getaway… then later directed his remake of it, starring Alec Baldwin and Kim Bassinger.

SA: I'm going to dig up a quote from an interview that you gave decades ago and throw it out at you, so feel free to duck.

WH: [chuckles] It’s probably time to disown it.

SA: You said: “Every film I’ve done has been a Western.” At the time you had made The Long Riders and since then you’ve made more traditional westerns [Geronimo: An American Legend and Wild Bill], but apart from those, do you still believe that that’s a true statement, and could you explain what you mean by that.

WH: I guess you get into the “What is a Western?” question. I think probably what I was referring to - beyond my kind of adolescent sense of drama and heroism and all that kind of thing, liking things to play out through physical action - I guess it’s that the Western is ultimately a stripped down moral universe that is, whatever the dramatic problems are, beyond the normal avenues of social control and social alleviation of the problem, and I like to do that even within contemporary things. It seems to me I’m always trying to get that quality into the movies, where you’re away from the normal recourse of civil relief to the problem and the characters have to work it out for themselves.

From this interviewhttp://www.greencine.com/article?action=view&articleID=240&pageID=437.

from dusk till dawn 3 was a good pseudo western

He he, wrong again …

Me too I thought Hill had directed the remake, but apparently it was Roger Donaldson

Anyway, Hill did make Extreme Prejudice (I hope), a real pseudo western, and a sort of remake of The Wild Bunch to boot

I don’t remember how much Hill was involved in the remake, but the remake is not based on the novel but also on the Hill screenplay. Hill got again the screenwriter credit but had it to share with another one. Maybe only because they used his screenplay with only a few alterations.

If the western had still the same impact as it had in from 1939 to 1976, then I’m sure Hill would ahve done a lot of westerns. Even so he was probably the most prolific western director since then with 3 theatrical westerns and a long TV movie and the first episode of Deadwood.
And he made a lot of half-westerns (Extreme Prejudice, Last Man Standing) and transported westerns (Streets of Fire, Southern Comfort, Trespass)