Your Favorite "Pseudo-Westerns"

(Col. Douglas Mortimer) #1

Wondering what everybody’s favorite pseudo westerns are. What I meant by pseudo western is:

1. Films that aren’t westerns but contain western elements.
  2. Films that are Westerns but without the western setting.

Off the top of my head their are three I can thinking of,

First Blood

The Book of Eli

Assault on Precinct 13

(The Stranger) #2

Assault on Precinct 13 is great. With a small budget, a grim masterpiece would be made. Sensational atmosphere and suitable music. Along with Halloween, I think it’s his best film. OK, I admit, I’m not big fan of horror movies.

Another pseudo-Westerns is The Getaway by Sam Peckinpah. Has at least a few western elements.

(Bill san Antonio) #3

I don’t see that much western influence on First Blood myself.

One of my favorite modern day westerns is Desperado by Rodriguez.

(The Stranger) #4

Last Man Standing is mentioned.
A remake of A Fistful of Dollars.

(Silvanito) #5

The Road Warrior

(Silence) #6

I am one of the few who enjoyed Once Upon A Time In Mexico.

(Bill san Antonio) #7

[quote=“Silence, post:6, topic:2322”]I am one of the few who enjoyed Once Upon A Time In Mexico.[/quote]I hated it myself. First to Mariachi films were great but I thought OUATIM was just a big mess.

(ENNIOO) #8

Extreme Prejudice is one I enjoy more every time I view the film.

(Reverend Danite) #9

Coogan’s Bluff.
Dust Devil is really a horrorish/supernatural one but it has an element of Leone style visuals, particularly in the desert, and a western dressed stranger.

(Reverend Danite) #10

Deadlock would qualify under these criteria - very good film.

Quite a few Easten ones are Westerns out of context - particularly Sukiyaki Western Django of course, but also Tears of the Black Tiger, which I remember enjoying.

(Silence) #11

Haven’t seen the two other ones, will check them out.

(El Topo) #12

Bring me the heaf of Alfredo Garcia
The treasure of the Sierra Madre
A friend among strangers a stranger among friends from Nikita Mikhalkov

In a suden this are the ones that I think off

(SunsetUnlimited) #13

I have to 2nd Desperado, and Last Man Standing was a fun movie too (even though the director claims it’s a remake of Yojimbo, as if he never seen a fistful of dollars)

The Good, The Bad and The Weird out of Korea was a great, highly stylized Eastern-Western. I was lucky enough to catch it on a flight to Japan, especially since I don’t think it has much distribution here in the US where I am.

Oh, and I almost forgot No Country For Old Men. I think that technically has some western elements… and I’m just a huge fan of Cormac McCarthy.

(Yodlaf Peterson) #14

The Fugitive - The Shaw one not the Harrison Ford one.

(Silence) #15

And Sukiyaki Western Django! Cause that one isn’t set in the west but some kind of weird dream landscape.

(Bad Lieutenant) #16

(Starblack) #17

Some of my favourites have already been mentioned, but Southern Comfort is another Walter Hill classic that qualifies - you could easily swap the guardsmen and the Cajuns for cavalrymen and Sioux warriors, for example.

I also like (or used to like - haven’t watched it for years) Outland - High Noon in space.

(Col. Douglas Mortimer) #18

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:3, topic:2322”]I don’t see that much western influence on First Blood myself.

One of my favorite modern day westerns is Desperado by Rodriguez.[/quote]

The story is pretty western like to me. A lone drifter who happens to be a war veteran enters a small town and clashes with the local sheriff!

(FIFTH LESSON) #19

Dead Man. Some might even say it is just a western but I think it is unique while being an obvious tribute to the genre.

(ION BRITTON) #20

I’ll have to go for EXTREME PREJUDICE.