Yankee (Tinto Brass, 1966)

[quote=ā€œkorano, post:40, topic:779ā€]Does anybody else wonder what this film would be like if the producer let Tinto Brass cut it his way? Thatā€™s a stupid question. Iā€™m sorry. Anyguesses as to how it would look?[/quote]There would be more nudity and asses. ;D

And bigger hatsā€¦

Actually I was reading something about this the other day on a Tinto Brass fan site. Apparently it was his use (or in Balcazarā€™s opinion over use) of visual synecdoches that was the problem so I guess it would have had even more of those than it wound up having.

Itā€™s a pretty good site actually, and hereā€™s the link to the Yankee page.

http://rjbuffalo.com/tinto3.html

With this film Koch has proven that a proper restoration can make all the difference in the world whether a film is a delight to watch or a dud.

I was wondering to myself, if this were a Wild East DVD instead of Koch Media do you think the colors would be faded? They are so brilliant, perfect on this DVD. I think it would diminish the experience of seeing the film by 85% or more if the print were cropped, faded, or otherwise in very poor condition.

As a director Tinto Brass is an amazing cinematographer. (Thatā€™s my usual joke about Argento and others). Just kidding. I think Brass did an excellent. Too bad he wound up making softcore films. Not interested.

The scene where the yankee is being hunted in the deserted town reminded me of the ending of Massacre Time, although I doubt either film borrowed from the other. I was afraid that would be the neverending concluding scene to the film and was very glad that it wasnā€™t. Thatā€™s one reason I can say I like this much more than Massacre Time.

Did anyone else view this film as political allegory?

Saw this one for the first time, thereā€™s of course the drawback, that this is one of Tinto first films, and Iā€™ve already seen the others, not that I was expecting a lot of naked girls and stuff, but creates a strange feeling and expectation, the visual aspect of Tinto films are one of a kind, and I also liked is next film Col cuore in gola, so I had big expectations on this one.
Well for me itā€™s a very good SW, the normal storyline, but a very distinguishable way of filming, a good art direction, made this one a original SW. I can only imagine how would it be, if it was edited by Tinto himself.
The cast contributes even more to make it unique with Celi never making another SW, and LLeroy only enter in another one and in a secondary role

So in the end, this is a quite unique SW, which is a good thing for me

[quote=ā€œEl Topo, post:45, topic:779ā€]Saw this one for the first time, thereā€™s of course the drawback, that this is one of Tinto first films, and Iā€™ve already seen the others, not that I was expecting a lot of naked girls and stuff, but creates a strange feeling and expectation, the visual aspect of Tinto films are one of a kind, and I also liked is next film Col cuore in gola, so I had big expectations on this one.
Well for me itā€™s a very good SW, the normal storyline, but a very distinguishable way of filming, a good art direction, made this one a original SW. I can only imagine how would it be, if it was edited by Tinto himself.
The cast contributes even more to make it unique with Celi never making another SW, and LLeroy only enter in another one and in a secondary role

So in the end, this is a quite unique SW, which is a good thing for me[/quote]

I agree with you.
The film is shot very well. With a unique visual touch.
But there is this common story, with no surprises.
I think the film is in the new Top 50 of the SWDB.
For me, it does not belong in this elite circle, but it is certainly one of the better SW. With a better story, it could have been a classic.

Some set-pieces are impressive but I find the style over-wilful and exhausting. Continiā€™s photography is a plus, and the music provides a smoky, relaxed atmosphere - cool rather than intense. The casting of the leads is offbeat for the genre but it doesnā€™t work for me. Leroy, a character actor rather than a heroic lead, looks as if he didnā€™t know what to do with his role; Celi was passable. I preferred the supporting cast of TomĆ”s Torres, Paco Sanz, CĆ©sar OjĆ­naga, Victor Israel and others.

Many found Leroy miscast. I found him not so bad. Quite cool.
It is rather the figure of the Yankees is cool. Less Leroy. :wink:

I liked Leroy in it too. Very different but very cool.

Just saw it with the english track. Somewhat different experience. Before, though I always liked it, it felt a bit long and at times tedious. Probably because of having to read the subs and watch the film. Thatā€™s usually not a problem but trying to deceifer the meaning of that ridiculous overly poetic english sub dialogue made it even more unenjoyable. Now, with much more down to earth dialogue and not having to read it, the fil flowed much smoother and moved much quicker.

Hard to believe that a little over a decade later he was playin that old dude in Mannaja!

He would have been 47 then, being born in 1930. Iā€™m sure make up helped. But youā€™re right. I saw Mannaja first and then hearing of Yankee made me think how long the genre had been going if an ā€œoldā€ fart like Leroy was starring in one. But he wasnā€™t really an old fart yet. But I liked him alot in Yankee. Very similar to a Belmondo type. It would have been great if Jean Paul Belmondo made a Spaghetti.

I picked this DVD up in Germany last week and I have to say it is one of the best spaghetti westerns Iā€™ve seen. It goes straight into my top ten. Just an interesting film well made. The plot is no great shakes and I dont really understand Yankeeā€™s actions and motivation but I think it has the best script (at least in Italian with subs) of any SW. The dialogue, unlike in most SWs, actually does more than simply serve the plot- it is entertaining and clever. Iā€™ve never really come accross this before excpet in isolated incidents!

Leroy makes for an unusual star, to me he really looks like a silent movie cowboy. I once read he was a commando in the '50s in Indochina so I have no trouble in accepting him as a man of action. Adolfo Celli makes a nice change from Fernando Sancho too!

Overall, a stylish and unusual SW very well made.

Did you view it in Eglish or German?

I started to watch it with German audio and English subs but the subtitles did not seem to match, so, I switched to Italian with English subs and that seemed to be more accurate.

I see

Personally, I found the subs to be way over the top. Sounded like they were trying too hard to sound intelligent. But it just came across as goofy.

See your point, and yes prefer the english dub version myself.

Rated 4. Didnā€™t expect such quality. Great shots.

one of my top 20 worst ???

Does anyone have the Franco Cleef english fandub of this film and would be interested in a trade?

There is an english avi-version on CG by someone else, but I would like to get the full dvd