Yankee (Tinto Brass, 1966)

[quote=ā€œkorano, post:20, topic:779ā€]Probably the most sylish spaghetti iā€™ve seen.

I have a question for someone who is good at catching smybolism in spaghettis. At the end where we see Leroy riding off with th bag of gold, there is a long shot of Leroy holding the gold which also focuses on Leroyā€™s crotch. Is it posible that Brass is making some sort of symoblic gesture with this shot of Leroyā€™s gold and crotch. It makes me uncomfortable noticing this but Tinto Brass has a history with sex and nudity.[/quote]

I saw the film some twenty years ago, and I remember there were a lot of hints at homosexuality, like in a lot of other spaghettis by the way. Donā€™t remember this scene, but its symbolism seems more than obvious.

Maybe somthing like he has the gold and the balls.

Or maybe he has golden balls

Thatā€™s what was actually in the briefcase in Pulp Fiction you know, Leroyā€™s golden balls

Assuming the ā€œ(Franco Cleef version)ā€ post was a reply to my post, where can I find it?

fcā€™s can be had at

www.thedriveinconnection.comhttp://www.thedriveinconnection.com

[quote=ā€œCarlos, post:25, topic:779ā€]fcā€™s can be had at

www.thedriveinconnection.comhttp://www.thedriveinconnection.com[/quote]

Awesome, thanks!

Got the FrancoCleef versionā€¦ watched it last night. It surely wasnā€™t as atmospheric/surreal as I expected from reading everything, but thatā€™s not to say it wasnā€™t a good movie. It definitely is pretty decent and a good watch (although the scene in the ā€œghostownā€ was a little long and drawn out.) It did seem to have a lot of semi-original ideas compared to many other SWs, which is always a plus.

Hereā€™s some things I notice about the film:

It seemed to me, that the 60ā€™s obviously had a big influence on this filmā€™s look and style. Sort of a retro look. In other words, I wouldnā€™t be surprised if I travelled back into the 60ā€™s and saw some of those guys dancing in a club.

The filmā€™s style is very suave and clean without any real dirt in it. But itā€™s a good thing here. I have made the claim before that this is the most stylistic Spaghetti there is! Not that Iā€™ve seen but there is. The camera use is great and creates some kind of psuedo surrelistic feel. While were are still very much still grounded in reality. Brass does some very very cool things here that make the film unique in its use of color to portray feeling or atmosphere. When the woman goes to kiss Leroy, the light goes red. At least to us as I donā€™t think in the west everytime someone got kissed, the lights go red. But it is very cool here. And after the massacre, when the sherif and many others are dead, the sky is red with the blood of the murdered innocents.

I really wish the producers would have let Brass finish editing this film the way he wanted. It would have been very cool.

Still think the main characters hat is to big.

I did appreciate the red lighting on the faces and suchā€¦ I also liked the idea of that camera being directly on top of scenes (and below like the scorpion ring of fire scene) ā€¦ definitely good stuff. The film almost reminded me of Django Kill, but I hate Tomas Milian as an actor so Yankee definitely beats it.

Haha, as far as the main guyā€™s hat being too bigā€¦ I didnā€™t notice, Iā€™ll have to check it out sometime. Man, if only I could remember what movie I saw recently with the biggest hat Iā€™ve ever seenā€¦

[quote=ā€œkorano, post:29, topic:779ā€]Hereā€™s some things I notice about the film:

It seemed to me, that the 60ā€™s obviously had a big influence on this filmā€™s look and style. Sort of a retro look. In other words, I wouldnā€™t be surprised if I travelled back into the 60ā€™s and saw some of those guys dancing in a club.

The filmā€™s style is very suave and clean without any real dirt in it. But itā€™s a good thing here. I have made the claim before that this is the most stylistic Spaghetti there is! Not that Iā€™ve seen but there is. The camera use is great and creates some kind of psuedo surrelistic feel. While were are still very much still grounded in reality. Brass does some very very cool things here that make the film unique in its use of color to portray feeling or atmosphere. When the woman goes to kiss Leroy, the light goes red. At least to us as I donā€™t think in the west everytime someone got kissed, the lights go red. But it is very cool here. And after the massacre, when the sherif and many others are dead, the sky is red with the blood of the murdered innocents.

I really wish the producers would have let Brass finish editing this film the way he wanted. It would have been very cool.[/quote]

Iā€™ve often heard that, although I know hats even worse (compare Hated Hat Thread!!!)

Or his head is to small.

Seems to have a normal size in Mannajaā€¦

A little gaunt in the face perhapsā€¦

wish it was made a little later
might have had some boobage
damn!

I didn*t miss the boobageā€¦

For anyone who cares, I wrote a review of this film but seeing as bth FoP and the DB have reviews of it, I sent it to Satty at Best Westerns.

Watched this earlier & was pretty disappointed - not half as good or strange as Iā€™ve read.
There were some great shots, but I wasnā€™t that keen overall. It didnā€™t help that I didnā€™t like the two leads much, and I thought the character of Yankee was a smug twat. I also found the score a bit naff & repetitive.
Overall, not bad, but pretty average IMO.

Does anybody else wonder what this film would be like if the producer let Tinto Brass cut it his way? Thatā€™s a stupid question. Iā€™m sorry. Anyguesses as to how it would look?