Why Go on Killing? / ¿Por qué seguir matando? / Perché uccidi ancora (José Antonio de la Loma, Edoardo Mulargia, 1965)

@Admin I noticed this one’s database page is in need of an update.

Perché uccidi ancora? - The Spaghetti Western Database (spaghetti-western.net)

1 Like

Got it. The film’s page has now been updated to the new layout.

1 Like

Jonathan - I’m not sure that this article does confirm the director’s name. I am not sure of the date in January 1965 but it says shooting will begin towards the middle of February which could be a few weeks off so it is possible that Milargia never directed it and Loma did it. The Italian credits say Loma and surely they would have said Milargia or Muller for the Italian print. ‘Edward G Muller’ is credited for the dialogue in the Italian print rather than Loma who’s credited in the English version but then ‘Muller’ may well have supervised or written the dubbing of the Italian version as that’s why an extra writer is usually credited in a different jurisdiction. Ida Galli is ‘Stuart’ in the English credits but the more familiar‘Stewart’ in the Italian.

Pheww , the Steff is really bad in this one, he isn’t able do deliver anything the film wants from him. And the film does not want much …
And Ida Galli’s consequent non-acting looks similar hopeless.

I had expected to like it more, but the contrary happened. Some parts of the film are promising, but half of it is pretty uninspired with lots of terrible dialogues. Ohh Ed …

4/10 though for the score and Berti and a few other things.

(Ed is Dead)

Did a re-watch last week. I have a soft spot for Steffen as in my opinion he fits the western pretty well. But I have no recollection of seeing him in another genre.

His movies are not the best, but also not the worse. they offer mostly 90 minutes of entertainment without difficult story lines and sometimes that is just what I need after a long workday with all kinds of difficulties. In those cases, I would rate his movies higher than others I noticed.
As this was his first western, i think he did a pretty good job at it. Creating his own style and dealing with the script. I suspect better scripts were not in his vicinity or offered to him and he dealt with what was offered.

I hope to watch all his westerns in Spaghvember. But that depends a bit on the rest of the family as we currently only have one tv set. I hope I am not dissapointed and feeling like 30 days watching the same movie like somebody once did :joy:

2 Likes

Steffen looks perfect for SWs in pictures, there he’s close to Eastwood, but on the screen too often there isn’t much left of this.
He was ok in a few Spags though, and imo quite bad in some others. Acting was not his strength, and calling him Stiffen is not wrong, but then he was surprisingly effective in the few self ironic roles he also played, especially in Train to Durango and Dead Men Don’t Count, which also belong to his best films.
But several of his others are also so formulaic for story and directing that they are pretty boring for me.

Well, he made some 6/10 films at least.