White Fang / Jack London films

Whether someone considers them SW is a matter of personal opinion. We can list them anyway. Here are the ones i know about:

Call of the Wild - 1972 - Ken Annakin
White Fang (Zanna Bianca) - 1973 - Lucio Fulci
Challenge to White Fang (Il Ritorno di Zanna Bianca) - 1974 - Lucio Fulci
I Figli di Zanna Bianca - 1974 - Maurizio Pradeaux
The Jack London Story (Jack London - La mia grande avventura) - 1974 - Angelo D’Alessandro
White Fang and the Gold Diggers (La Spacconata) - 1974 - Alfonso Brescia
White Fang to the Rescue (Zanna Bianca alla riscossa) - 1974 - Tonino Ricci
The Cry of the Wolf (Il Richiamo del lupo) - 1975 - Gianfranco Baldanello
White Fang and the Hunter (Zanna Bianca e il cacciatore solitario) - 1975 - Alfonso Brescia
Zanna Bianca nel west - 1977 - Vito Bruschini
Buck at the Edge of Heaven (Buck ai confini del cielo) - 1991 - Tonino Ricci
Buck and the Magic Bracelet - 1999 - Tonino Ricci

I only own “Call of the wild” out of those. I’ve also seen Fulci’s first Zanna Bianca and liked it [i still don’t own it]. I would be ineterested in getting some more of those.
Anyway, hwat are your opinions on this movies? What Jack London movies do you own?

wow!
did not know he was so big in Italy
glad to know as he is one my faves

check out WHITE FANG dir. Randall Kleiser. best adaptation EVER!!

I have all those on your list except the last three, but not had the chance to view them all yet. I like films set in the snow and makes a change from the regular western settings.

You have “The Jack London Story”? I’ve never seen it available anywhere.

I have both of Fulci but had not time to watch it so far. :slight_smile:
Didn’t knew that The Call of the Wild with Charlton Heston is a SW. I watched it on time some time ago and thought it was ok.

No. Sorry my mistake.

I always considered the White Fang movies as Spaghetti Westerns. They take place during the Alaska Gold Rush in the late 19th century so the towns still look western, they ride horses or dog sleds and the feeling is the same as the westerns. Check out The Great Adventure 1974 with Jack Palance, Joan Collins. Also Hellhounds of Alaska 1972 with Doug McClure score by Nicolai

I got “White Fang to the Rescue” on a dollar DVD because it’s got Donal O’Brian (a favorite of mine) and Henry Silva… It seems to be more of a family movie, hah, I couldn’t really watch it.

I also regard them as SWs. Why not? GS is a SW as well.

I like some of them, they often got classy actors as Nero, Woods, Silva, O Brian, Merli and many more.

Unfortunately they often contain nasty kids…

Not sure whether you would include this one:

[url]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113003/[/url]

Don’t know it, seems like a French one, so no SW.

The problem with White Fang/Jack London films to me is that I don’t really feel comfortable watching them. I think they’re supposed to be films for whole family: adventure, action, animals and kids, maybe little bit of love stories too. But all of them I’ve seen have disgustingly bloody animal fights, White Fang and the Gold diggers even had a rape scene. I wouldn’t let any kids watch films like these.

I’m with you on this Bill.
Just watched White Fang and the Gold Diggers and despite it seeming to be a family type story (comedy, kids, do etc) the rape element and dog fights just seem completely out of place. Too syrupy in some places for me to enjoy as an adult film, too nasty for me to watch with my kids.

Me too. Gold Diggers is pretty lame and pretty childish with heavy brutal elements.

Never thought I’d hear myself say this but I’m worried I might have too many Spags in my collection as I am beginning to forget what I have and haven’t got despite keeping an unashamedly geeky database style list of such things.

I recently downloaded what I thought was an upgrade of White Fang and the Gold Diggers only to find that the copy I already have is perfectly fine and in no need of an upgrade. Somehow I remembered my older version being full screen VHS but, no. In fact, the download, although nice in picture quality and so on has clearly been edited to make more family friendly. (See comments above) The result is that my kids could watch it if they wanted but the cut scenes are so obvious by their absence that the story makes no sense. i.e. Robert Woods accepts a bet from one of the main villains on a fight between their dogs then immediately says “so, you lost. Now I want an answer to my question.” Never mind. The avi file I can now delete on my computer will make room for something else. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Phil H, post:13, topic:1816”]I’m with you on this Bill.
Just watched White Fang and the Gold Diggers and despite it seeming to be a family type story (comedy, kids, do etc) the rape element and dog fights just seem completely out of place. Too syrupy in some places for me to enjoy as an adult film, too nasty for me to watch with my kids.[/quote]I know what you mean Phil. White Fang to the rescue is like this, seems a bit familyfied with some shocking scenes here and there, the scene where the dog has a fight with a tied up bear is quite brutal and hard to watch. I do still like the film though with Merli as the hero and Silva is always good as a villain.

Things can get a little confusing at times with different versions of films and the fact there are so many westerns in alot of our collections.

The Great Adventure is another White Fang type movie with Jack Palance, Joan Collins and Fred Romer.

What’s The Great Adventure like (I must admit, it doesn’t sound very promising)?

With Gianfranco Baldanello Anglicized (don’t know how to spell it) as Paul Elliotts!!!

I see that the music is by Cipriani, one of my favourite film composers.