Which films are better with subs instead of dubs?

It’s great reading all these thoughtful posts in this topic.

Bill posted this in the you tube thread but I thought it very appropriate to share here. Clip of Corbucci directing Milian during the dubbing of Sonny & Jed. In Italian with German narration, but it’s short and easy to follow even if you don’t speak either of those languages.

Are they using a black and white work print to do the dub?

Great

As a Corbucci fan it’s always nice to see the man at work. For Corbucci there was no life without cinema, he only lived on a film set: he was a nervous, insecure man, always full of doubts. He was nearly as brilliant as leone, but not even half as confident.

I agree with this. This is how i usually watch this with friends who don’t know anything beyond the Leone/Eastwood films. It’s usually a hit after a few beers. If there is enough interest then i lend it and tell them to try the Italian sometime when they’re in the mood.

That youtube clip of the dubbing of Sonny & Jed is awesome. Interesting to watch Milian’s voice acting. Also, the work of the guys doing the sound effects is very impressive. No wonder the voiceover states that they are highly paid professionals.

[quote=“Mortimer, post:21, topic:2121”]It’s great reading all these thoughtful posts in this topic.

Bill posted this in the you tube thread but I thought it very appropriate to share here. Clip of Corbucci directing Milian during the dubbing of Sonny & Jed. In Italian with German narration, but it’s short and easy to follow even if you don’t speak either of those languages.[/quote]

Really cool. Thanks for that!

[quote=“Chris_Casey, post:16, topic:2121”]One of the classic moments of the film that the English dubbing kills is the final confrontation between Jackson and Django in the cemetery.
The original Italian has Jackson “praying” for Django and shooting bullets into the cross he is behind…saying “In the Name of the Father…” (bang!)…“And the son…” (bang!)…"And the holy ghost…"
Then, Django jumps up and says: “Amen!” and mows them all down!
That is brilliant!
The English version has Jackson telling Django he better start praying for himself. Then, he fires…“I can’t hear ya!” (bang!)…“I can’t hear ya…”, etc.
To which Django replies: “Can you hear this?” and mows them all down.
That is just stupid.
The English dubbing really dumbs down the original and sinks the movie, in my opinion.[/quote]

Chris, excellent observation. The English dub line is banal, unoriginal, dull — but the Italian is clever, thoughtful, witty.

And as mentioned by someone else calling the men “racists” in Italian and calling them “confederate pigs” in the English has a totally different intent and meaning.

RE: Sonny And Jed I wonder if Corbucci directed the non-Italian voice dubs? Somehow I always imagined the foreign language overdubbings were always farmed out to other people who actually spoke those languages fluently. Would love to know how it was done for Django as I can’t imagine Corbucci intentionally making the above mentioned changes.

Any recommendation for books to read to learn more indepth info on the process used to make SWs? I’d love to read about not only the dubbing procedures, but how the scoring was handled, etc…

But when exactly was Django dubbed?

Didn’t it get initially an English release? It was banned in England, but how about the US? Maybe it was dubbed years later, maybe when Corbuci was already dead.

First viewed Django with an english dub in the early 80’s via a pre-cert U.K VHS tape issued on the Inter Ocean video label.

[quote=“Stanton, post:27, topic:2121”]But when exactly was Django dubbed?

Didn’t it get initially an English release? It was banned in England, but how about the US? Maybe it was dubbed years later, maybe when Corbuci was already dead.[/quote]

I don’t think it had an English language release until quite a long time after its initial one. I am sure that they made an English dub at some point around 1966-1967, however, because there is talk of Franco Nero having shown the film, in English, to people in Hollywood around the time he made CAMELOT. But, the film never gained a US release until the mid 1970’s (and then it only played in a very tiny handful of Drive-In cinemas). And, frankly, that information is really unconfirmed (by me). I just remember some people on the old SWWB saying that they saw DJANGO at the Drive-In in the middle of the 1970’s. It didn’t get anything close to a wide release in the USA until it came out on VHS in the early-to-mid 1980’s (on the Magnum label with really bad artwork on one of those huge oversize boxes!).

[quote=“Stanton, post:27, topic:2121”]But when exactly was Django dubbed?

Didn’t it get initially an English release? It was banned in England, but how about the US? Maybe it was dubbed years later, maybe when Corbuci was already dead.[/quote]

No no no, don’t forget that many countries in Europe showed Italian movies with an english dub, not just UK… or America for that matter

Django was banned in England and Sweden in the 60s, but was shown in Denmark for example

And Django was released uncut on video in 1980 in Sweden, and it had an english dub

So Corbucci was clearly alive when all this took place ;D

Here is the english language vhs from 1980 :slight_smile:

Corbucci being alive when the film was dubbed into English does not necessarily mean he had anything to do with it.

I know Roger Corman purchased high tech Russian science fiction films and recut them and dubbed them with all new dialogue for release in the US. Other US explotation film producers bought Mexican made horror films and recut them and dubbed them into English with all new scripts. Of course this is not what happened with Django.

Also consider there are SWs showing up on German television which have never been dubbed or subbed before and this process is being done years after the fact by people who had nothing to do with making the films.

No, but this was just a reply to Stanton, who said maybe Corbucci was dead when they made the english dub :wink:

[quote=“Lindberg, post:31, topic:2121”]Here is the english language vhs from 1980 :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Looks in good condition :wink: .

This is absolutely true! I remember several of my friends from India telling me about how they, or in some cases their fathers, saw DJANGO in the cinemas in the late 1960’s. And I am sure it was shown, in English, in many other markets.

Former British colonies and places like South Africa obviously showed spaghetti westerns with an english dub

I have not seen it myself, but apparently in the 1972 Jamaican rasta movie ‘The Harder They Come’ there is a scene where the main character goes to a cinema and there is a scene from ‘Django’ ;D

It seems SWs with an Italian dub were rare outside Italy, it was either english, or countries like France and Germany who did their own dubbing

[quote=“Lindberg, post:36, topic:2121”]Former British colonies and places like South Africa obviously showed spaghetti westerns with an english dub

I have not seen it myself, but apparently in the 1972 Jamaican rasta movie ‘The Harder They Come’ there is a scene where the main character goes to a cinema and there is a scene from ‘Django’ ;D

It seems SWs with an Italian dub were rare outside Italy, it was either english, or countries like France and Germany who did their own dubbing[/quote]

Right again, Lindberg!

I just re-read my earlier post and realized I simply wrote: "I don’t think it had an English language release until quite a long time after its initial one."
When I should have said an USA release instead of English language release.

My opinion on this, as I think I’ve probably stated a few times elsewhere, is that I want to be able to hear original actors’ voices as much as possible (hence I’ll watch “Cemetery without Crosses” in French for example). However, when their voices are not mostly available, Italian is almost always the way to go because the voice actors are of such a high standard and the directors were generally directly involved.

True, I had never seen a spaghetti western in Italian until a few years ago. I think the first one I saw in Italian was (what a coincidence) A Fistful of Dollars, because the Dutch DVD has the Italian language track and I bought the DVD on the very day I bought my first DVD player. I haven’t seen Django in Italian yet. The English audio track was not created with the help of Corbucci, of that I’m sure. Audio tracks directed by him are far more biting and cutting (watch the clip Mortimer loaded up)

Very interesting quote from Ted Newsom over at the CHFB, i thought might be of interest here.

" When I directed Richard Harrison (who made a boatload of films in Italy), he told us actors would not get paid extra to dub their own voices. If they wanted to hang around and do it for free, fine, but that wasn’t part of the deal, and they wouldn’t get paid. Of course, the producers would have to pay voice dubbers to come in and do the work-- but the illogic never bothered producers. "