What would you want to see in a new spaghetti western?

“Modern day westerns” are nothing new, crime-films and other types of films that have been labeled “westerns” have already been done many times.

And spaghettis in particular are a hell lot more than just bandits, weapons and shooting!

The wonderful music, the scenery, man against huge landscapes under the sun, mood and atmosphere, the stylized finale etc, are things that just can’t be staged in a modern day setting.

Right on,silvanito

I’d love to see one made in Spain on some of the old sets and have actors like Hilton, Gemma, Aldo Sambrell and who ever else they could get play townsmen, bankers saloon patrons etc. To me that would be great fun watching for faces we haven’t seen in 30+ years. and then maybe at the end of the film a freeze frame of the actors now and then with their names.

The score would have to be from an Italian composer and done in the style of the SWs from the 60s and 70s.

The screenplay would also have to be done by writers from that era to capture the feeling of those times. I don’t care if it is a rewrite of a film already made before, most of them were never seen in the U.S.A. so no one would recognize it except the true fans.

The main actors would have to be some name actors of today who are fans of the genre and not just making a movie for the $.

I would love to see it shot in all the classic locations in Almeria.

Don’t forget plenty of spitting, flies and include one scene at least 5 minutes long where nothing happens except for movement of a creaking sign

You can take some spaghetti ideas and incorporate them in a modern setting. Alex de la Iglesia proved it already. Anyboy else seen it?

ugh ! Filming permits, insurance, horse rentals all coming together. Still sifting through locations now, but I have my heart set on this place in New Mexico at the moment for the streets and bar interior:

Any opinions ?
CK

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:46, topic:256”]You can take some spaghetti ideas and incorporate them in a modern setting. Alex de la Iglesia proved it already. Anyboy else seen it?
[/quote]

I surprised myself on this one and quite liked it for what it is.

Quite quirky in places, interesting characters and a good nod to the original spaghetti westerns.

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:46, topic:256”]You can take some spaghetti ideas and incorporate them in a modern setting. Alex de la Iglesia proved it already. Anyboy else seen it?
[/quote]
i found 800 BULLETS quite interesting, particularly that i had been to Texas Hollywood a few months prior to viewing it

A decent soundtrack…nothing involving rock or electronica.

There are so many factors we all love in spaghettis but if you want my honest opinion the important thing to remember if you are making a western is to stay faithful to the genre of the western. Not just slavish to the stylings of the spaghettis. Remember that Leone was putting his own mark on a genre he already loved and that many of the iconic framing we remember from the european films were updates of previous American director’s work. If you want to see great comic book framing in a western check out any of Anthony Mann’s classics from the fifties like Naked Spur or The Man from Laramie.
My point is, stay true to the western rituals, mythology, themes and settings. Then you can embellish it however you like depending on which influences you want to pay homage to or what new ideas you want to bring to the table.
The underlying generic structure is what makes a western, not just men in hats shooting each other while smoking cigars.

They should do a western that has ghosts and a talking dog named “Dixie”, the voice provided by Zach Braff.

Zach Braff? who’s that ???

He’s that guy from scrubs.

[quote=“me, post:54, topic:256”]He’s that guy from scrubs.[/quote]not seen it

Giant Robots, Flying Saucers, ME!

Only joking! When I think of Spaghetti Westerns I think just as much about a period in time (1960’s-1970’s) as locations and nationalities of directors etc. Modern day films can be exciting, violent and beautiful but IMO no ones captured the MAGIC of SWs from that period in a modern day western. But perhaps these days it will take a non Italian to make a movie that does.

I can not wait to see Miike’s Django later this year.

That will be friggin insane. Taratino also makes a cameo appearance. Whoope