What is the worst film you have seen at the cinema (so far)?

I’m not a fan of people running around in thier underpants, so prehaps I’m biasied. The thing I really didn’t like about the film was that the movie just kept on worrying about Parker’s reationship with Jane, it felt like a romantic drama at times.

Don’t really know, I found Gone with the Wind dreadfully overlong when I saw it at the age of fifteen, but I liked it better when I saw it again twenty years later (although I still thought it wasn’t that great)

Biggest dissapoint probably was The Shining
Most reviews were very positive, I had high expectations because Kubrick was the director, but I found the whole affair empty and dull. Some good scenes of course, but no story to speak of and hardly any scares. Still don’t understand what some people see in it.

probably Batman Forever.

Analyze That. I loved Analyze This, though Analyze That was a great disappointment.

Man this thread is making me remember so many awful movies…

Batman & Robin was absolute garbage.

Once I was forced to watch one of these crappy animation things at the cinema. The one with the wild animals and the suburbs. Something like Through the Hedge or so. Awful!

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:22, topic:1959”]Don’t really know, I found Gone with the Wind dreadfully overlong when I saw it at the age of fifteen, but I liked it better when I saw it again twenty years later (although I still thought it wasn’t that great)

Biggest dissapoint probably was The Shining
Most reviews were very positive, I had high expectations because Kubrick was the director, but I found the whole affair empty and dull. Some good scenes of course, but no story to speak of and hardly any scares. Still don’t understand what some people see in it.[/quote]

I’m with you on Gone with the Wind. If I want to watch a schmaltzy melodrama than Dr. Zhivago is the much better directed choice. Not to speak of Casablanca, the masterpiece by accident.

But The Shining may not be Kubrick’s best film, but a great enough film it is. All of Kubrick’s film are more or less good. None beneath 7/10.

2001 is of course another league.

Probably Mr. Magoo

That to me is the epitome of dullsville. I do like Kubrick but I prefer Dr. Strangelove, Full Metal Jacket, A Clockwork Orange, and The Shining.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:22, topic:1959”]Biggest dissapoint probably was The Shining
Most reviews were very positive, I had high expectations because Kubrick was the director, but I found the whole affair empty and dull. Some good scenes of course, but no story to speak of and hardly any scares. Still don’t understand what some people see in it.[/quote]

I have nothing but respect for you Sherp & your vast array of film knowledge, but I’m pretty sure I will never disagree with you more than I do on this on. A pure classic. No story? The scares are not your normal slasher startlers. The scene where the ball rolls out of nowhere towards Danny is scary in my book. No definitive ‘I know what’s going on here’ moments. Great story, great building of tension & clostraphobia. Isolation is one of the most scary things to me, seconded by family members going psycho. The soundtrack (can I get a witness ENNIOO) ties it together nicely. Just goes to show that art is subjective.

Very nicely written, I do not agree, but nicely written.

I think 2001 is to a certain extend problematic. I akways liked it (somehow), even as a child. Mostly because it was so well made, stylish and enigmatic. But, dear Frank, you’re partly right. It also is a bit dull, in some parts.
Especially the LSD-trip part in the end, when Dave flies though the monolith star gate.
The problem is, 2001 is not the epitome of dullness, but the epitome of a, what we inGermany call a KINOFILM (cinema movie), which means a movie that has to be watched in the cinema.
In 2001, when 2001 came back to the silver screen, I watched it and I was stunned. Dull parts like the LSD thing were phantastic, the whole movie was a supreme viewing experience.

I will think about it :smiley: .

[quote=“Dillinger, post:31, topic:1959”]Very nicely written, I do not agree, but nicely written.

I think 2001 is to a certain extend problematic. I akways liked it (somehow), even as a child. Mostly because it was so well made, stylish and enigmatic. But, dear Frank, you’re partly right. It also is a bit dull, in some parts.
Especially the LSD-trip part in the end, when Dave flies though the monolith star gate.
The problem is, 2001 is not the epitome of dullness, but the epitome of a, what we inGermany call a KINOFILM (cinema movie), which means a movie that has to be watched in the cinema.
In 2001, when 2001 came back to the silver screen, I watched it and I was stunned. Dull parts like the LSD thing were phantastic, the whole movie was a supreme viewing experience.[/quote]

I can see that and if it was re-released to the screen here I would give it a 2nd chance. I will not waste my time watching it on DVD or VHS again.

Sounds like a deal. I haven*t seen 2001 ever since. Maybe I’ll have the opportunity of watcing it via a beamer or, then I would rewatch it, but never on a TV set.

I really enjoy “Gone With the Wind”, but I like “Dr. Zhivargo” more. And to me, “Casablanca” beats them both for sheer schmaltzy greatness.

I can’t understand how you can’t like “2001”. I myself really, really like “Dr. Strangelove”, but “2001” is in my top ten. If it has a flew, it’s Dave passing through the star-gate, which is a lttle overlong.

How can I not like 2001? It’s absolutely self indulgent mind numbingly boring. I like a bit of action in my movies this one moves so slow it feels like time stands still.

How about the “Hal” section of the fim?

been so long I honestly can’t remember much about it.

What exactly is the HAL section? All the scenes featuring HAL, or a certain part of the movie?

It’s a certain part of the film. If you have seen the movie you’ll understand, but if you havn’t, here’s what I mean…

When a black monolith is found on the moon, it sends out radio waves to Jupiter (I havn’t seen the film for a while so don’t quote me on the radio wave bit). A spaceship is sent out to Jupiter to see what the monolith is sending radio waves at, and during the course of the mission, the ship board computer (called Hal) goes mad and tries to kill all the crew. This was what I ment by the “Hal” section. It takes place approximetly in the middle of the movie.