What Film Are You Watching Tonight?

Enjoy the viewing Chris Casey :), and good to see you back on the forum.

Gracias, amigo!

Gatto Nero
and/or Oggi a me ā€¦ damani a te!
:slight_smile:

Took the kids to see The Spiderwick Chronicles yesterday at the IMAX. My youngest is a big fan of the books so it was as a treat for her really. Kids enjoyed it and it was ok for what it was meant for although Iā€™m not big on so much CGI stuff.
One thing though, man that IMAX screen is BIG! Something like 20 metres high. In a way itā€™s almost too big as it can be difficult to take in the whole screen at once.

Think Iā€™ll enjoy tomorrowā€™s cinema outing more. Iā€™m off to see a double bill at the NFT. Flight of the Red Balloon and Melvilleā€™s Le Doulos. This time itā€™s just me and the wife. Looking forward to it.

With some friends I had to watch a boring Remake of Body Snatchers with Nicole Kidman yesterday . Need a good SW today: Texas Addio ! :slight_smile:

I watched Planet Terror last night, very good fun, entertaining film.

Agree with you, I also like Planet Terror very much. Rose McGowan with a MG on her leg is incredible.

Watched a British movie, Evil Aliens, last night which I wouldnā€™t have mentioned here if it wasnā€™t for the fact that it sported a grand duel featuring three Welshmen opposite three aliens complete with spaghetti western background music ;D

Fun low-budget movieā€¦ Definitely recommended.

Watched BEN X

A Belgian film on an 18 year old guy who suffers from the Asperger syndrome, a mild form of autism

He is unable to communicate with the people around him and being an obsessive video game player he can only relate to characters from the games and other players, who are on the same level as he is
One of them is a girl and when she tries to contact him in the ā€˜realā€™ world, he dare not speak to her
Instead he takes her into his ā€˜game worldā€™, the fantasy world that becomes more and more the only ā€˜realityā€™ he accepts
Eventually the film turns out to be constructed as a video game as well

A small film, on a subject that seems at first sight better suited for a scandanavian film (especially the Swedes are very good at these things), but the director, Nic Balthasar, whoā€™s first film this is, did a wonderful job
The only problem is that itā€™s a bit noisy (sound effects from video games enhanced and played in 5.1, I turned quickly to the stereo track, which was a lot more pleasing)

The film was received well in both Belgium an Holland, so I suppose it will be released abroad
Recommended

Went to the National Film Theatre with the wife last night and saw a couple of french films.

The Flight of the Red Balloon (her choice) was actually directed by a Taiwanese but is very french in style. It was interesting but left us both a little cold in the end. Engaging but lacking something I think is the best way to describe it.

The second was Le Doulos (my choice), a Jean-Pierre Melville French Noir classic which I have been meaning to see for years. This was definitely the winner on the night. A tight crime thriller, with more twists than a Chubby Checker house party. Very good stuff. This was part of a european noir season they currently have running at the NFT and I wish I could get to see more of them.

One thing about Le Doulos though. It was really noticeable to me how little music was used in this film. Long passages of action are played in complete silence. Maybe Iā€™m just too hooked on the italian style that uses music almost like dialogue but I often felt that there were scenes screaming out for some evocative notes or other. Part of the style I guess, and donā€™t get me wrong, it worked well. It was just a very noticeable omission to me. Great film though and highly recommended.

Iā€™ll probably record 3.10 to Yuma (BBC, 13.45) and watch it later

Havenā€™t seen it for ages and wasnā€™t very fond of it ages ago, but things may have changed

[quote=ā€œPhil H, post:1230, topic:372ā€]The second was Le Doulos (my choice), a Jean-Pierre Melville French Noir classic which I have been meaning to see for years. This was definitely the winner on the night. A tight crime thriller, with more twists than a Chubby Checker house party. Very good stuff. This was part of a european noir season they currently have running at the NFT and I wish I could get to see more of them.

One thing about Le Doulos though. It was really noticeable to me how little music was used in this film. Long passages of action are played in complete silence. Maybe Iā€™m just too hooked on the italian style that uses music almost like dialogue but I often felt that there were scenes screaming out for some evocative notes or other. Part of the style I guess, and donā€™t get me wrong, it worked well. It was just a very noticeable omission to me. Great film though and highly recommended.[/quote]

Ah yes! I am glad you finally got around to seeing LE DOULOS, Phil!
As I think you know, Melville is one of my favorite directors and this film is one I rank fairly high.

I know what you mean about the lack of music in some scenes. I thought I was the only one that thought about that! I really liked the music that was used in the opening sequence and wished they would have used that more often (or at least utilized that style) throughout the film. But, even so, I love the movie as it is.

Guess I will be rewatching LE DOULOS tonight!!!

[quote=ā€œChris_Casey, post:1232, topic:372ā€]Ah yes! I am glad you finally got around to seeing LE DOULOS, Phil!
As I think you know, Melville is one of my favorite directors and this film is one I rank fairly high.

I know what you mean about the lack of music in some scenes. I thought I was the only one that thought about that! I really liked the music that was used in the opening sequence and wished they would have used that more often (or at least utilized that style) throughout the film. But, even so, I love the movie as it is.

Guess I will be rewatching LE DOULOS tonight!!![/quote]

Yes, itā€™s a very enjoyable movie and really evocative of Paris. You can almost smell the Gauloises :slight_smile:

I watched no country for old men last night. Really atmospheric movie with Javier Bardem in a really scary role. Overall a pretty good movie, but there aint no morale or anything like it. But Bardem starts a competition with KinskiĀ“s Loco for ultimate badass.

Watched TURISTAS

Saw it described somewhere as ā€œa mild torture movie with some decent nudityā€

Had to check out what that was supposed to mean ā€¦

Itā€™s more or less what you get: some good looking teenagers/twens get lost in Brazil and ā€¦
You know all the stories about organs and Brazil I guess
What you get is one protracted torture scene (not too mild actually) and quite a lot of semi-nudity (frontal but not full)

The girls are beautiful, although closer to 28 than 18 (should you wonder), and as a horror flick itā€™s mildly entertaining
A problem was that the action&tension filled last half hour was mainly set in the dark or under water, making it rather difficult to see what was happening exactly (I only discovered who survived when daylight returned)

I found Turistas a nice little movie. A kind of mild version of Hostel. Though whereas Hostel is torture for tortures sake, in Turistas we instead get a moral twist and a real creepy movie. So if you didnā€™t like Hostel (I didnā€™t) you might like Turistas. Better story, better acting and ā€˜funā€™ all the way through.

The last half hour of Hostel was absolutely laughable. I couldnā€™t believe it while watching, so bad was it.

Yes the special effects guys obviously wanted to show what they could manage of gruesome bloody effects but the plot went totally haywire.

The only reason I would want to see Hostel 2 was for Luc Merenda who obviously have a small(?) part? Anybody seen it and can comment?

[quote=ā€œSĆøren, post:1238, topic:372ā€]Yes the special effects guys obviously wanted to show what they could manage of gruesome bloody effects but the plot went totally haywire.

The only reason I would want to see Hostel 2 was for Luc Merenda who obviously have a small(?) part? Anybody seen it and can comment?[/quote]

Hostel 2 is a lot better than 1
Itā€™s not as gory, the build-up to the horror is much better, and thereā€™s far better villainy (two actors from DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES play the sickos)
Iā€™d say itā€™s comparable to TURISTAS, so a nice horror flick

Thanks, sharpshooter for your answer. Might wanna check it out then after allā€¦ Did you notice Luc Merenda in it? He should be playing an Italian detective.