What Film Are You Watching Tonight?

I just watched “The Sweeny” and “The Sweeny 2” both films are excellent british crime films from the seventies.

Which one did you prefer the most then?

The first one, it’s way better than the second one even though that also is a fine film.
Both films are pretty brutal though with a lot of blood.

I plan on getting to something new from the Wild East movies I bought recently - maybe Django: The Last Killer.

Spartacus and the 10 Gladiators. Good harmless fun :smiley:

Watched Zulawski’s drama film “Most Important Thing is to Love” with Fabio Testi, Romy Schneider and Klaus Kinski. Strange but powerful film with very good performances by main actors. It has one of the best Kinski scenes I’ve seen. Kinski is playing an actor and when his performance is scolded by critics he starts a fight with bypassers at restaraunt kicking everyone’s asses. Hilarious!

Two days ago I went to see Das cabinett des Dr. Caligari in a movie theatre. This silent movie was accompanied by live music by some piano player, which was pretty good. What was disappointing that a restored print was promised, but all that was done to the movie was colorifying effects that even an amateur could have added using Windows moviemaker. The dude from the cinema told me that this is the way he got it from the Murnau Stiftung. For a great part this ruined the movie for me. Adding yellow and blue hazes to a bw classis of this stature… come on! This is a pd movie and I would have been better off downloading it and watching it at home. However there was some additional footage that was dug up somewhere. The movie itself is quite alright. The thing I liked best was the very expressionist look of the thing; a distorted view on reality that fit the contents of the film. However I wouldn’t go as far as to call it a masterpiece. All in all, an ok film and a sub par presentation.

Das cabinett des Dr. Caligari is one of my favorite films. It’s probably one of the most important films to me. When I saw it first time I really started to become interested in films, film history and film as an art form.

Humanoids From the Deep was viewed, which involves sea style monsters doing a few naughty things.

It’s definitely a piece of art, and a highly original one at that. It was nice to see the theatre nearly filled to capacity for the screening of this oldie.

What cinema did you see it in?

Filmhuis Den Haag (Spui)
A couple more silent movies coming up there:
21/04 19.30 Filibus (1915, Mario Roncoroni)
19/05 19.30 Tsjelovek S Kinoapparatom (1929, Dziga Vertov)

I don’t know if this was the reason for the colourfying in this instance but it was actually a common practice during the silent era to colourfy scenes with different colours. Each colour signified a different mood and was meant to help the audience (and maybe the musicians?) tell what the tone of a particular scene was. I forget the colour code now but it was red for passion, something else for comedy etc. I saw a few silents like this some years back in the UK.

Interesting information, I didn’t know that it was common practice to do that. Thanks for clearing this up. I just thought some hack messed it all up. Still, I would have rather seen it in black & white.

hmmm… i think tonight i have a date with ‘French Connection’, ‘Return of the Street fighter’ and 'And God Said to Cain’
at least two of them will be it

I couldn’t remember the accepted system for these tints so I googled it and copy and pasted the below reference from Wikipedia. Do any of these colours ring a bell with the film you watched?

Over the years, general rules developed for what color to use in certain scenes. Many of them were obvious, but a few artistic. Specific names were given to tints to specify certain colors. Striking effects could be achieved by both tinting and toning sequences.

In order of most common:

Amber Tint (variations: straw amber, light amber, night amber) - used for daylight interiors. Night amber was sometimes used for exterior night scenes that were lit. Orange was common for night time interiors

Yellow Tint (aka: Sunshine) - Used for daylight exteriors exclusively.

Blue Tint (variations: Azure, Nocturne) - For night scenes that had no visible light source other than the moon. Blue tone (processed in Ferric ferrocyanide solution) was also somewhat common and usually an amber tint were used for scenes well lit by lamps, candles, etc.

Sepia tone - Processed through a silver sulfide ferrocyanide or uranium ferrocyanide solution. Popular as an alternative to Sunshine or Amber. Was very popular in westerns and other pictures of the 1930s through the 1950s because of the dusty tone it gave and technically for its low interference rate on the soundtrack.

Red Tint (variations: Scarlet, Inferno, Firelight) - Used for scenes of fire, fury or explosion. Firelight was a light orange/yellow that was used with red tone to create realistic flames. Red tone was created by processing through a copper ferrocyanide solution.

Lavender Tint (variations: Purple Haze, Fleur de Lis) - Used in romantic, dusk or dawn, or oriental scenes primarily. Lavender tint was also used as a processing technique to cut down on contrast with duplicate negatives before fine grain positives were popular.

Rose (variations: Rose Doreé, Peachblow, Candleflame) - Similar to lavender, sometimes used for low-key lit night interiors.

Green Tint (variations: Verdante, Aqua Green) - Scenes tinted in green were generally mysterious or sea-faring scenes. Green tone, achieved by processing through vanadium ferrocyanide solution, was commonly used in jungle and nature scenes.

Yes, indeed. There were a lot of blueish scenes in the film, and also yellow ones. And the title cards were green. My girlfriend already came up with the night explanation. This explains a whole lot. Thanks.

Sounds nice, enjoy!

If I have time tonight…Those Dirty Dogs!

I am set to watch:

DON’T WAIT DJANGO–SHOOT!

A HOLE IN THE FOREHEAD (recent release from New)

REVEREND COLT (also a recent release from New)

and

NEW BATTLES WITHOUT HONOR AND HUMANITY (classic Yakuza film)

Should be a nice evening!