What Film Are You Watching Tonight?

Haven’t seen it, I read the book by Lem about four years ago though and I don’t think any director is able to be elicit the striking playfulness of Lem’s prose. He’s just the best. :wink:

heh, as much as i am reader of sf literature, had never read anything from Lem - quite strange, but since i restored my library card recently it’ll change … ::slight_smile:

Well, he is supposed to be the most popular SF writer in the world according to Theodore Sturgeon (thank you, wikipedia).

He certainly is unique - some people dislike his frequently frolicsome style (so conspicuous in his Fables for Robots) combined with profound, yet accessible and entertaining storylines, but to my way of thinking, the very aspect gingers up his books and renders his oeuvre hugely distinguishable, even if the topics he touches upon are highly heterogenous.

He’s so hilarious and relentless in his quest of literary perspicuousness.

I can really relate with this capital FINALLY - this is one of those films which I’ve been meaning to watch for years and never do.

yeah, i have it on a filmpile for a few months i think
…still didn’t watch it :stuck_out_tongue:

Today is the Halloween, but I will not be participating in our October horror marathon on the final day. Instead I’m heading to my local cinema which is only today showing this:

Is this movie having the coolest posters in last 30 years or what?

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada - recommended by a friend since he knows I’m interested in the Western genre. I’m curious…

Not tonight, but Tuesday going to a screening of Ben and Charlie and Long Live Robin Hood. Has anyone seen it? Ive never even heard of it, didnt know Giuliano Gemma made a Robin Hood move!

Tonight little bit of LVC is on TV:

Spot of Italian splatter tonight in the interesting Demons 2, but you cannot beat the first film in my view.

[size=12pt]APES![/size]- As in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, tonight.

Alien tonight due to this wonderful movie poster artwork which I found in the endless space of the world wide web…

[quote=“titoli, post:7986, topic:372”]Today is the Halloween, but I will not be participating in our October horror marathon on the final day. Instead I’m heading to my local cinema which is only today showing this:

Is this movie having the coolest posters in last 30 years or what?[/quote]

I watched Nightcrawler yesterday and really enjoyed it. Gyllenhaal’s sociopathic character is very well-executed.

I Come In PEACE haha this movie is fuckin awesome

'Tis the season.

Kicking off my December Christmassy marathon in low-key style today with the Bo’ Selecta! Christmas Special from a little over a decade ago: Ho Ho Ho Selecta! (Palmer, 2003). It’s somewhat near the knuckle for family viewing though (and, at approx. 25 minutes, it’s also too short) so, to both pad it out AND keep my son included, we’re also watching three Christmas episodes of The Big Bang Theory. I won’t be watching two sets of things every day mind you, just on those days when the official selection for that day isn’t entirely family appropriate (we’ll be watching Bad Santa at some point, for instance).

Crab paste!

31 DAYS of CHRISTMAS - DAY 2

Mistletoe can be deadly if you eat it, but not if you… kiss it…

No, that’s not right.

A kiss can be deadly if you mean it, but not if it’s under the mistletoe…

No.

[i]A mistletoe can…

A…

You can… kiss… the deadly mistletoe, but… don’t eat it for fuck’s sake.[/i]

Hm.

A kiss under the mistletoe can be deadly, but don’t eat her under it if you didn’t mean it.

Oh fuck it, I can’t remember what the saying was now. Today, it’s Batman Returns (Burton, 1992). Miaow.

31 DAYS of CHRISTMAS - DAY 3

“Do you think we care as much about your baby as you do? Just because you let some useless tosser blow his beans up your muff. Well done! Merry f*cking Christmas!”

Today, I’m getting festive with Tim, Dawn, Gareth, David, Neil, Chris, Keith and the rest of them in The Office: The Christmas Specials (Gervais/Merchant, 2003). Beans and muff!

31 DAYS of CHRISTMAS - DAY 4

“Christmas is the time of year when people of all religions come together to worship Jesus Christ.”

Today, were going with four Christmassy episodes of The Simpsons (1989), one of which is the very first episode Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire which aired almost 25 years ago to the day, in which they acquire the family dog Santa’s Little Helper.

"STEALING? How could you?! Haven’t you learned anything from that guy who gives those sermons at church? Captain Whatshisname? We live in a society of laws! Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun?? Well, I didn’t hear anybody laughing! Did you?!"

31 DAYS of CHRISTMAS - DAY 5

“Oh Al, come unwrap your Christmas present.”
“Where is it?”
"It’s
me, you feeb."
“Ah Peg, how do you expect me to get excited when you just re-wrap the same old junk I didn’t play with the year before?”

This evening, we’ll be taking in seven festive episodes of Married… With Children (1987). However, the adventures of Al Bundy and his merry band can often be a bit near the mark so the family-friendly pick for today is b-movie craptacular Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (Webster, 1964). In space-blazing color!

31 DAYS of CHRISTMAS - DAY 6

Going for a movie I’ve never seen today: Jingle All the Way (Levant, 1996). Every year there seems to be a panic-inducing shortage of some “must-have” toy or another so this is one of those movies that would appear to retain its relevance, and tbh I don’t mind Arnie too much in “comedy” mode. We’ll see.