What Film Are You Watching Tonight?

Tonight, for the first time on big screen and under a sky full of stars for a roof:

Wild Geese 2.

Rudolf Hess is to be freed from prison by a bunch of mercenaries in this action film from the 80ā€™s. Alot better than I remembered, as previously I have tended to compare the film to much to the first one. Would have been great if Richard Burton had not died and reprised his role from the first film. One of Roy Buddā€™s last scores. Was reading about Hess in real life which made for interesting reading.

Airwolf: The Movie.

A top of the range assault helicopter is stolen and Jan Michael Vincent is the man with the task to get it back. The T.V series followed after this T.V movie and in some countries the T.V movie was released at the cinema with some spiced up language.

Shall We Dance (1996, Japan)

One of my favorite movies. The last time I watched it, it was on VHS! I never could bring myself to watch the American remake with Richard Gere and J-Lo. Because the greatness of the original is in itā€™s cultural context, and the great acting and likable characters.

A successful but depressed Japanese businessman spots a woman dancer standing at the window of a dance studio while commuting on a train. Finally, he is inspired to take up dance just for the chance to dance with her. The acting is very believable, and like many great Japanese movies, there is a lot going on even in moments of silence. I love how the characters evolve over the course of the movie.

Diamond Ninja Force.

One of these cut and paste martial arts films from Godfrey Ho. Where do I start on this oneā€¦starts off simple enough re revenge by Richard Harrison. However thats when I started to get a little confused with Ghost Ninjaā€™s coming into the plot :smiley: . So I just had a bit of a laugh next really watching all these ideas in the film which had just been mashed together from other films.

Re-watching El Puro tonight.

A magnificent choice, sir. Re-watched it only a few days ago myself.

Just finished it. Iā€™m constrained to say that I cherished it far more than the first time around, most probably for I was viewing the uncut cinemageddon version. On account of some odds and ends added from Spanish and Italian VHS-rips, the movieā€™s structure feels far more sturdy and the auxiliary bits and pieces foreclose the sentiment of insufficiency the English version educed in the course of first viewing. All factors that once were riling seem to conduce to the principal viewing experience, render the flavour somewhat more piquant and it becomes conspicuous that these more bizarre sequences are to conjure up the one-of-a-kind, fucked-up epic ambience. What an astringent, morose and dour fucker this film is. I suppose that even if it doesnā€™t end up in my Top 20, it will make its way to my Alternative Top 20.

Yep, El puro grows with every viewing. I have it meanwhile in my spagish top 10.

I really wish that one day a Blu sees the light of the day. Unfortunately German labels rarely release films without a German dub on DVD/Blu.

Tonight, going to an open-air screening of Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012) in Battersea Park, London. I hope the weather holds.

[url]http://www.thelunacinema.com/battersea-park/4583851417[/url]

Battleground (2011) - A group of criminals hide out in the woods after robbing a bank and getting into a shootout. They end up at the cabin of a psycho Vietnam vet who enjoys hunting the deadliest preyā€¦

About halfway through and this is a pretty enjoyable viewing, nice low budget modern twist on this action movie theme which has a lot of horror elements to it.

Sounds like another I will get for the pile :slight_smile:

[quote=ā€œautephex, post:7971, topic:372ā€]Battleground (2011) - A group of criminals hide out in the woods after robbing a bank and getting into a shootout. They end up at the cabin of a psycho Vietnam vet who enjoys hunting the deadliest preyā€¦

About halfway through and this is a pretty enjoyable viewing, nice low budget modern twist on this action movie theme which has a lot of horror elements to it.[/quote]

Just viewed this one as you had me intrigued. The war guy is really out there :smiley: ā€¦he keeps you on your toes. Nice combination of genres, and really liked that the bad guys are being hunted by a worser bad guy. Really enjoyed this one and the best unknown film to me which I have viewed in a heck of a long time.

Thought you may enjoy that one Ennioo :wink: I had never heard of it either, just randomly saw the cover, read the description, then read a ton of comments saying how horrible it is and decided immediately that I must watch it right away :smiley:

Yes, I agreeā€¦ it is quite good! One of the few recent films which really continues that old spirit without trying to be all tongue-in-cheek and stupid silly

Ha, ha that always does it for me aswell :slight_smile: .

Deep Red.

Viewed the shorter version this time around which I have not viewed since VHS days. Much more concise this version in terms of pace, and yes I prefer it. David Hemmings looks the part just before he started to put weight on, and he does get a little flustered at times with some of the characters he has to engage with. Its this which is sometimes funny, but in stark contrast to the murders. But most of all I am going to have the score in my head for a few days :stuck_out_tongue: .

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve watched the short cut of Deep Red yetā€¦ in fact, Iā€™ve only seen the film once so far I believe. Maybe will work in the shorter version during this monthā€™s viewings

while iā€™m at it, iā€™ll probably re-watch another gem of polish fantastica - Kingsajz
is Jerzy Stuhr in every polish movie? ;D
btw, what is the right term for polish exploitation movies?
if there is not any, i would like to coin "polzploitation"
just learned few days ago, that term for aussie exploitative movies is ozploitation - lovely

Have you seen Sexmission? The filmā€™s biggest shortcoming is that it is short of originality, for Machulski rips off most of its storyline from THX 1138; he duplicates Lucasā€™s flick brazenly to the extension that some scenes seem to be precisely counterfeited from Lucasā€™s work. On the other hand, the movie somehow works in the context of Polish Pop Culture and on account of its highly politicised, anti-communist content as well as some epic jests. Nowadays, the film might be deemed as anti-feminist, but this allegation is totally extraneous since Machulski was not interested in excoriating feminists in the first place.

[quote=ā€œtomas, post:7978, topic:372ā€]if there is not any, i would like to coin ā€œpolzploitationā€
just learned few days ago, that term for aussie exploitative movies is ozploitation - lovely[/quote]
Iā€™m not an expert when it comes to Polish cinema (I prefer Italian flicks), but Iā€™d say that apart from some anomalies, Polish cinema was quite homogenous and itā€™s foolhardy to christen these anomalies anyhow forasmuch as theyā€™re too marginal in their nature to be treated as an emergence of some brand new tincture.

Szulkin was a legitimately unique casus within Polish cinema, but as far as I know, he didnā€™t yield any successors and so he cannot be pigeonholed as a member of some movement.

At any rate, I donā€™t think there was such thing as ā€˜exploitationā€™ in Poland. If there was, Iā€™d coin it as ā€˜polsploitationā€™ as it sounds more natural in Polish than rasping ā€˜polzploitationā€™. :wink:

[quote=ā€œMickey13, post:7979, topic:372ā€]Have you seen Sexmission? The filmā€™s biggest shortcoming is that it is short of originality, for Machulski rips off most of its storyline from THX 1138; he duplicates Lucasā€™s flick brazenly to the extension that some scenes seem to be precisely counterfeited from Lucasā€™s work. On the other hand, the movie somehow works in the context of Polish Pop Culture and on account of its highly politicised, anti-communist content as well as some epic jests. Nowadays, the film might be deemed as anti-feminist, but this allegation is totally extraneous since Machulski was not interested in excoriating feminists in the first place. Iā€™m not an expert when it comes to Polish cinema (I prefer Italian flicks), but Iā€™d say that apart from some anomalies, Polish cinema was quite homogenous and itā€™s foolhardy to christen these anomalies anyhow forasmuch as theyā€™re too marginal in their nature to be treated as an emergence of some brand new tincture.

Szulkin was a legitimately unique casus within Polish cinema, but as far as I know, he didnā€™t yield any successors and so he cannot be pigeonholed as a member of some movement.[/quote]
yes, but long time ago, donā€™t remember much of it, so rewatch is on the program
iā€™m also going to FINALLY watch On the Silver Globe
Test pilota Pirxa is also under consideration, since i remember from it only one spectacular scene (yes, the one with wasted hand)

well, you got it right :slight_smile: