What Film Are You Watching Tonight?

The wife and I planned a cinematographic experience (literally):

It’s AVATAR time for us this afternoon

Don’t know what to expect really. The film seems to be a sort of Dances with Wolves revisited, so I guess it’ll be okay for the last day of the year, but I’m thinking about this 3D thing.

I heard somebody on tv saying about 3D stuff will have to change the way action is presented. Rather than furious quick-cut action that looks like a pop video, it’s gotta be more thoughtful and longer drawn out shots. The eyes have to be given a chance to react or you’d get giddy/sick :P, and this make the frenetic pace of many modern day actioneers undesirable.
This could be a good thing for ‘storytelling’?

I hope you enjoy Avatar scherpschutter, as I found it a pretty good film. Be sure to post what you think of it!

For the last day of the first decade of the 00’s, I’ll be watching The Good, the Bad and the Ugly!

Next thing i watch will be the second half of HATE THY NEIGHBOUR, i got up to the bit where George Eastman was strung up over the snake pit at the moment, i was too tired to finish it last night but have enjoyed what i’ve seen of it so far.

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:4902, topic:372”]I heard somebody on tv saying about 3D stuff will have to change the way action is presented. Rather than furious quick-cut action that looks like a pop video, it’s gotta be more thoughtful and longer drawn out shots. The eyes have to be given a chance to react or you’d get giddy/sick :P, and this make the frenetic pace of many modern day actioneers undesirable.
This could be a good thing for ‘storytelling’?[/quote]

I would hope so–as, personally, I am sick and tired of those frenetically paced modern action flicks.
However, I still refuse to go see AVATAR ever since a buddy of mine told me that visually it was spectacular and there has been nothing like it before…but, he couldn’t tell me what the damn thing was ABOUT!
Another friend of mine, who works in the film business in India, told me that when he first saw AVATAR he loved the movie and thought it was the most brilliant thing he had seen in his entire life! He left the cinema invigorated and thrilled. So much so that he went home and wrote a raving review that was so glowing that a copy of it was sent to James Cameron, himself, and Cameron sent him a lengthy “Thank You” note. My friend was so excited about this film that he went back to see it a second time. Upon this second viewing he realized that the film is an amazing achievement from a technical standpoint…that it is truly an incredible visual advancement in movie making but the story is a little lame. He went home this second time a little less enthused about AVATAR. Then, some friends then asked him to tag-along for another viewing which he readily agreed upon. After this third viewing, he thought the movie–as a movie–sucked!
He then wrote on his blog something to effect that “there has never been a movie like AVATAR and that is not arguable in the least. However, there are many far better movies”.

All of this leads me to believe that I wouldn’t care much for this “experience”. Besides all that, I don’t really care much for Sci-Fi/Fantasty stuff, as it is.

Likewise

Viewed Perfect Friday.

Stanley Baker plays a fed up under bank manager so decides to plan a robbery of the bank and enlists the help of two other people.

Robbery is the best bit as clever and smooth and the rest of the film is a bit flat in comparison. David Warner is sarcastic to a high degree which made me chuckle. Ursula Andress provides the eye candy who gets the last laugh in the film.

[quote=“John Welles, post:4903, topic:372”]I hope you enjoy Avatar scherpschutter, as I found it a pretty good film. Be sure to post what you think of it!

For the last day of the first decade of the 00’s, I’ll be watching The Good, the Bad and the Ugly![/quote]

I wrote a short reaction on another thread, since the discussion seems to develop here, I copied it, so here it is:

"Kind of a strange experience. It takes some time to get used to the 3D thing. I felt a bit dizzy during the first 15-20 minutes, and had the odd feeling I was in the wrong place in front of the screen, too much to the right or left, too close to the screen, something like that, a bit hard to describe. My wife had similar experiences. It gets better afterwards.

The technique leaves some room for improvement, due to the special 3D-glasses it all looks far from bright, a bit greyish and dull. There’s also a problem with objects or persons too close to the camera, they tend to blur. Subtitles are a nuisance too, they seem to float in front of the image, blocking the view. I’d advice people in Germany to visit a dubbed version, not an original version with German subs (we don’t have a similar option in Belgium, instead we have 2 subs: Dutch + French)

The film isn’t bad. Actually, it was a lot better than I had expected. It runs over 2 1/2 hours, but it’s over before you know it.
It’s a typical Cameron movie, bombastic, all but subtle, but well-told, in a strong visual, muscular style
The biggest drawback was James Horner’s pathetic score. Really awful, they should send that man to another planet."

Nice review scherpschutter, and yes, the 3D does take a little getting used to. Likewise, it was also one of James Horner’s (normaly a good film composer) weaker scores.

Inglorious Basterds tonight.

Viewed Sunday In The Country.

Ernest Borgnine plays a farmer who is a very religious man. When three killers on the run enter his property he shows no hesitation in taking matters into his own hands.

Borgnine is great in this as shows no remorse for his actions. Compulsive viewing for me as have a fondness for negative style films made in the 70’s.

Aside from all the Twilight Zone o’ve been watching, I’m going to take time of for a rewatching of a one of my first Noirs. One which I watched it two sittings, probably months apart. One which failed to impress me overall but mostly due to the intervuls. Kansas City Confidential

Dude, Sci Fi network? Twilight Zone marathon? Shit yeah!

You know it too!? Oh yeah! Great stuff man. Love that unresistably cruel irony. Sure, some pretty bad ones but amazingly deep for a cheap 60’s TV show. Amazing studies in human nature and all that good stuff. Scherp? Help

I’ve just got hold of Destination Moon, so a viewing of that will be coming shortly!

Sharpshooter tonight

I love the Dutch title of that movie

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:4917, topic:372”]I love the Dutch title of that movie[/quote]lol. i should have seen that coming!

I resisted making a joke about it ;D!

I’m going to watch TONY ROME with O’ Blue eyes as a hard-boiled private eye

Always wanted to see that movie, and finally managed to get hold of a copy