What Film Are You Watching Tonight?

Finally saw avatar last night. Great visuals and CGI but thats about all it has going for it. It
Have any of you tried glow in the dark miniature golf? The movie reminded me of that.
Unoriginal story, flat dialogue, unimpressive score. Sam Worthington didn’t impress me as a lead.

Annalee Newitz says it best in her review: “This is a classic scenario you’ve seen in non-scifi epics from Dances With Wolves to The Last Samurai, where a white guy manages to get himself accepted into a closed society of people of color and eventually becomes its most awesome member.”

But very impressive visuals and lots of explosions so I give it 6 out of 10.

the Friday the 13th remake

Haven’t seen that one yet
Since I liked (sort of) the remake of Halloween - by Zombie - I still feel inclined to watch this remake, even though most people tell me it’s shit

I know, I know, you always should judge for yourself, but my ‘to watch pile’ is piling up all the time
So I’m waiting for some comments of the true horror fans here
Be sure to write down your impressions on it, mwan

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:4923, topic:372”]Haven’t seen that one yet
Since I liked (sort of) the remake of Halloween - by Zombie - I still feel inclined to watch this remake, even though most people tell me it’s shit

I know, I know, you always should judge for yourself, but my ‘to watch pile’ is piling up all the time
So I’m waiting for some comments of the true horror fans here
Be sure to write down your impressions on it, mwan[/quote]mY to watch pile is high as well, and this is next on the pile, don’t worry scherp i will let you know what i thought tomorrow. i like the original friday the 13th films on the whole, and i also kinda liked the Halloween remake.

re: Avatar

Thanks for the warning Colonel. Now I know I’m not going.

Watched two late Fulci-movies I hadn’t gotten around to before:

Cat in the Brain aka Un gatto nel cervello (1990)
This one is starring Fulci himself as he is being tormented by the scenes from his own movies. At the same time girls are winding up dead in real life but who is the killer. Fulci? Won’t give the plot away not the least because there aint much of it. I would love to say that Fulci is a terrific actor or that re-seeing scenes from some of his other horror-movies weaved into this one is great fun but neither is true. It is a tedious movie to sit through and honestly it doesn’t work that well. That whole movie-nightmares appearing in ‘real life’ is much better worked out in Wes Craven’s New Nightmare so go see that one instead.

Version watched: DVD from Grindhouse Releasing.

Door to Silence aka Le porte del silenzio (1991)

I honestly didn’t expect much from this movie but surprise surprise it is actually pretty good. John Savage playing the husband trying to get home to his wife after a funeral but oh how long and winding road that is. Again won’t give the plot away but seasoned movie-watchers will know what’s coming. But it’s well executed and great ‘fun’. Actually my wife preferred this one to Zombieland which we watched the same night so Italy-USA, 1-0 :slight_smile:

Version watched: DVD from Severin.

If you’re a Fulci-fan you should of course watch both. Normal movie-watchers should only bother with Door to Silence.

Viewed Last House On The Beach.

Group of men rob a bank and hide out in a house full of women. Not long before violence and revenge take place.
Plenty of sleaze in this one.

WEREWOLVES ON WHEELS (1971)

A group of bikers ride around boozing and getting into fights until they wind up outside a monastery where some monks give them bread and wine. After they all pass out, the sinister monks start a ritual which summons the gang leaders (Adam) old lady for a nice nekkid snake dance. The bikers wake up and go into the monastery to kick some ass and get Helen back, but the damage has been done. The next night she turns Adam into a werewolf as well and gang members start turning up dead.
I enjoyed this one a lot more this time around for two reasons. Firstly, the Dark Sky DVD has this flick looking better than ever. It's still a tad dark in some scenes, but you can at least see whats going on. Miles better than the old bootleg that used to be floating around. Secondly, and most importantly, i knew not to expect much werewolfery. This is a great drive-in biker flick, with only a bit of werewolf thrown in (the sinister monk ritual probably lasts longer than all the werewolf scenes put together). As long as you go in knowing this, it's a lot more enjoyable. If you watch this as a werewolf movie, yer gonna come away disappointed.

Fun Factor - 6/10

Lightning Bolt aka Operazione Goldman (1966)
An Italian/Spanish co-produced spyflick. An a very fine one it is. We get henchmen with matching outfits and terryfying deathscreams (killing henchmen in the 60s was way more fun than it is today) and a drinks drinking evil super-villain filmed from behind in his chair doing his evil businesses … Plus it’s full of all kinds of gadgets and stuff. Classic spy atmosphere with a fitting score. The plot has something to do with rockets being sabotaged and a missing professor (ingenious plot). We of course know that the super-villain is gonna get it in the end and he does to which our hero (played by one Anothiny Eisley which I’m not familiar with but someone in here probably is) states: “I didn’t like your beer either” (The super-villain used a beer brewery as a front).

This is an Antonio Margheriti movie so we of course gets his trademark miniatures. Some are good others are… not… There’s a couple of times when our hero drives his sports car in dangerous territory where the car filmed is obviously a tiny toy car which sometimes makes you think you are watching a puppet movie.

All in all great fun. Very recommended.

Version watched: DVD in Rareflix Box 4 from rareflix. You get two other non-Italian movies that will probably interest you. Lightning Bolt is presented in a somewhat scratched but way better than could be expected anamorphic print in 2.35:1.

The deluge of snow we have enjoyed here over the past 24 hours meant the good lady wife wasn’t required at work today. So we settled down on the couch together and watched Jeremiah Johnson. Always enjoy this one and the snowy locations seemed apt.

SOUTHERN COMFORT (1981)

Walter Hill’s twist on DELIVERANCE. Powers Boothe, Kieth Carradine and Fred Ward are members of a National Gaurd squad running an exercise in the bayou. They piss off some local Cajuns and it’s all downhill from there. Fun little stranger in a strange land flick.

Fun Factor - 7/10

Fantastic film

We Were Soldiers

A mate of mine lent me this one a little while ago and as I am seeing him tomorrow I thought I should pull finger and watch it so I can pass it back to him. A pretty decent Vietnam war picture. A bit syrupy for my tastes in parts but an honest attempt to convey some of the realities of the first engagement of the helicopter divisions in that conflict.

“Superbad” tonight

[quote=“Phil H, post:4933, topic:372”]We Were Soldiers

A mate of mine lent me this one a little while ago and as I am seeing him tomorrow I thought I should pull finger and watch it so I can pass it back to him. A pretty decent Vietnam war picture. A bit syrupy for my tastes in parts but an honest attempt to convey some of the realities of the first engagement of the helicopter divisions in that conflict.[/quote]
I’ve got this on VHS, but never really been wanted to watch it. It says on the back: “Starring Oscar winner Mel Gibson!”. But he won it for directing, not acting!

Watching Aslyum, this 1972 anthology is one of my favorites. I really do like the Amicus style and their story telling ability. Having guys like Robert Bloch do the writing seemed to help.

[quote=“Frank Talby, post:4936, topic:372”]Watching Aslyum, this 1972 anthology is one of my favorites. I really do like the Amicus style and their story telling ability. Having guys like Robert Bloch do the writing seemed to help.[/quote]i like pretty much all the amicus horror anthology films except " Tales That Witness Madness"

at long last i’m hitting the spaghetti western film trail again tonight with " Adios Gringo"(thanks again , rev! :))

I’m watching Death Rides a Horse at the moment. Fantastic! The opening scene alone is as good as anything Leone ever did.

One of my favorites too.