What do you do for physical fitness and health?

Beer keeps me pretty fit…

All the lifting? :).

yeah, those one-armed curls seem to do the trick. its tough sometimes but I’m so health-conscious…

[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:20, topic:970”]Hmm. Interesting thread. I’ve never seen it before.

Anyway, well, I work as a boxing trainer in an MMA gym but my fitness has lagged as of late because of studies.[/quote]

Cool! MMA is the future of Martial Arts in my uneducated opinion. Correct me if I am wrong, but the philosophy behind MMA is very much like the original concept of JKD, right? What I mean by that is that JKD was developed with the idea of “absorbing what is useful” from a variety of “styles” and “discarding” the rest.
Working elements of all types of combat into an individualistic thing.

Sometimes…no make that almost all the time…I really wish I had kept up with my training…

Strange…my above posted said it was EDITED…but, I didn’t doing any editing…hmmmm…

[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:20, topic:970”]Hmm. Interesting thread. I’ve never seen it before.

Anyway, well, I work as a boxing trainer in an MMA gym but my fitness has lagged as of late because of studies.[/quote]

So Colonel are you strictly a boxer then for the MMA fighters or do you grapple yourself as well?

I enjoy a good ground fight myself every now and again… :smiley:

Me too…but then I go and spoil it with a bit of karate

Right you are Chris Bruce Lee is often cited as the “Father of MMA”, although he is not the first one to combine disciplines, Jack Dempsey and William Muldoon both were experts in both boxing and wrestling as early as 1880’s. It really is an amalgamation of different styles but I think if Bruce was living to see MMA today he would’ve been dissapointed as most MMA fighters are incredibly clumsy and slow in comparison to Bruce’s effortless movements and gracefulness. In a way learning a bit of everything, you suffer because you end up not being very good in either one of them!

[quote=“Pacificador, post:26, topic:970”]So Colonel are you strictly a boxer then for the MMA fighters or do you grapple yourself as well?

I enjoy a good ground fight myself every now and again… :D[/quote]

LOL good to hear Pacificador! Although I’m still a young man my competitive days are over due to injury. Yes I’m strictly a boxing trainer, I leave the MMA, muay thai, jujitsu, wrestling etc… to the other coaches.

Interesting point of view, amigo. And I can see the value in what you have said!

I’m a runner. Try to cycle a couple of days per week, but the weather’s been the pits this spring. Love to hike and backpack, too. It’s good to get out into the wilds and get away from civilization for a while. Plus, it burns the calories.

But I really just do it so I can drink all the beer I want.

Badminton…

I concur!

I’ve been on a good roll the past week, running one day, lifting weights the other and fairly clean eating throughout.

I’m cutting back on the beer and leaning more towards whiskey…if that counts as a health choice! ;D

Used to play football, but lack of a close team here in Heidelberg and university hours made it difficult to find a team after i moved here last autumn. Plus I dont have time anymore to spend the whole sunday at the pitch, due to a long distance relationship(no marriage though).
Since i can´t stand runnig very much, i decided to start rowing. Last wednesday was my first day to do it here(did it back in high school some 12 years ago, but very shortly). First time in a single boat. So it turned out at the end that I also did some swimming, unplanned of course. Neckar river was still damn cold. And had to carry the boat to the shore.
Swimming is also ok, but normally i prefer a pool.
This won´t stop me from rowing of course!
never been a smoker. Let´s not talk about beer here…

[quote=“valenciano, post:34, topic:970”]Since i can´t stand runnig very much, i decided to start rowing. Last wednesday was my first day to do it here(did it back in high school some 12 years ago, but very shortly). First time in a single boat. So it turned out at the end that I also did some swimming, unplanned of course. Neckar river was still damn cold. And had to carry the boat to the shore.
Swimming is also ok, but normally i prefer a pool.[/quote]

Ha ha. That is priceless. Never been much of a rower myself because I suspect I would end up just the same.

You’re in good company…I tipped a canoe a couple years ago and unfortunately it was in front of a lot of people who had all kinds of advice on how to right it in the middle of the lake. :stuck_out_tongue:

I swallowed my pride and got it back to shore eventually…!

I’m back in the river with Brothers valenciano and Pacificador.
The season has started with amazingly good weather, so took the inflatable on the train for some work I was doing, and kayaked back. Within minutes I was away from people and with the kingfishers and goosanders and their young. Two and a half hours later - adrenilined up from a couple of weirs yet completely relaxed by the journey, but completely soaked from a spot of (unplanned) swimming, and completely knackered - I found myself back home.
A quick change of clothes and soon doing some arm-curls with a pint or two of cider in the pub. How good did that taste!! Exercise - ahhh, can’t beat it :wink:

Went for a walk in Hainault Forest yesterday evening. Just me and the missus. With the longer days and sunny weather a walk in the evening before dinner is really nice. The birds were singing and all the trees are looking lush again. Hand in hand with the wife.
Lovely.

Just completed my 20 mile cycle for today…may sneek it up to 25 tomorrow.

Good grief…if the weather down (or is it up?) your way is as hot as it is here at the moment that must have been torture! You must be dedicated!