What do you do for physical fitness and health?

Well I thought it might be interesting to chat about this a bit. My job is a lot less physical than I would like so I need to supplement it with exercise.

I run on the treadmill, lift weights and hike. I used to take taekwondo, play soccer, floor hockey and cycle in my younger years (not that I’m ancient but I’ve shifted hobbies a bit now that I’m 36).

I find that it’s easier to do solitary activities now rather than team sports due to my odd work hours and kids’ schedules. I also find it relieves a lot of stress and gives me the quiet time I need to function as a human :slight_smile:

What do the rest of you do for physical health?

I play Team-Handball ! That means a lot of excercise, if you want to stay in shape !!! I also like to swim and cycle !

I find the best way for me to maintain my current body shape is to eat lots of pudding and food with a decent lard content in general. It takes work but you know what they say…No pain, no gain.

I enjoy cycling.

My, but you are a healthy lot!!

I used to do Tae Kwon Do, Tai Chi, and quite a bit of hiking.
I still get out for a hike in the Dragoon Mountains near Tombstone, occasionally.
But, for me just simply walking (roughly 3 miles per day) is about all the exercise I can take, these days.
I go for my stroll early each morning (generally sometime between 5:30 and 6:30 a.m.).

Other than that, I just play with pistols and roll around in the dirt of the streets of Tombstone, Arizona for the amusement of tourists, for exercise.
:wink:

When the weather improves and the water’s right I’ll be doing a spot of river-running in a kayak. The infatable ones are particularly good 'cos when we, ‘Biddenden’s Gary’ (he of the broken shoulder) and myself get the 20 miles or so to the city, we can pack 'em up, get wet inside as well as out, and come back on the train ('scept for the time Gary came back in a helicopter, via the hospital, after spending an hour under a weir :P).

Sounds like good fun Reverend.

It’s brilliant Ennioo - can’t wait for the ‘season’. This is one of the inflatables of t’net that we use. I’ve reinforced and patched the bottom from weir jumping so many times but they’re pretty indistructable (a bit like Gary).

[attachment older than 600 days, deleted by admin]

Hope to try it some day :).

I still do some fitness training twice a week, on condition that my shoulder doesn’t cause any problems

I had a dislocated shoulder some fifteen years ago and it never got perfectly stable again

I played football for about twenty years and was quite a good athlete when I was young (1500 meters, 3000 meters)

But I’m not young anymore …

The best thing ever did for my health, was stop smoking a few years ago
Even when I was active in athletics/football I smoked a few cigarettes a day, but things went out of hand after I had stopped

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:10, topic:970”]I played football …
But I’m not young anymore …[/quote]
Yep - me too. 5 years ago. Torn cruciate and a broken knee in a mistimed tackle (by me) and it don’t really want to mend completely. I remember it was my birthday, by rights I should have scored the winner in the final minute. Instead got beat 8 nil and the knee to boot (ow!).[quote=“scherpschutter, post:10, topic:970”]The best thing ever did for my health, was stop smoking a few years ago[/quote]
Yep - me too. ;D

Damn i feel knackered just reading this thread! To be honest most of my spare time is spent with my daughter …trainspotting! Not too much exercise in that… :stuck_out_tongue:

I used to be a trainspotter but now I suffer from … anoraknophobia :stuck_out_tongue:

You listen to Marillion by any chance? :stuck_out_tongue:

No - is this from them?

:smiley: It’s not by choice…she’s the one obsessed with frieght trains… I’m just the mug with the camcorder :stuck_out_tongue:

They had an album called ‘anoraknophobia’.

It’s just an odd picture - dysfunctional men with comb-over hairdoos and anoraks, then Peter Lee Lawrence filming trains whilst a little money-maggot … sorry cute li’l kid, goes " Here’s another train to film mum!" Odd - it’s back to that ‘being your avatar’ thing again. [quote=“alk0, post:17, topic:970”]They had an album called ‘anoraknophobia’.[/quote]
They should know better! All I know is that they have a thing about magpies - and so , strangely, do I!

Ok…that’s a seriously weird picture…

Hmm. Interesting thread. I’ve never seen it before.

Anyway, well, I work as a boxing trainer in an MMA gym but my fitness has lagged as of late because of studies.