What do non-germans think about Klaus Kinski in spaghetti westerns?

As a German and big Kinski fan I would like to know what other people think about his performances in spaghetti westerns !!??!!

[attachment older than 600 days, deleted by admin]

Why shall only non-Germans respond?

Sorry !!! Of course everybody is welcome to respond to my question !!!
Fell free to express your opinion !!!
I just thought it would be especially interresting to hear from people who don’t know that much about Klaus !!!

there are hundreds of non-italian actors in SWs, why did you pick exactly those? :wink:

That’s true :wink:

To Kinski. I love him in role e.g. like Loco. But he made a lot of crap too. With Fidani for example. I read the autobiography of Kinski and he said that he made this films only because he needed the money. That was the reason for filming together with Werner Herzog too. :smiley:

I think Kinski is great in those films I’ve seen, but I haven’t seen all his spaghettis. But I don’t have any special opinions about him just because he is german.

Kinski is a strange dude and as Amerikanischer-Deutscher, I think he did a great job in some of his roles he has that eccentric persona about him a explosive character. He did the spaghetti’s like he says in his autobiography he is a whore for money. He is stated to say that the westerns were crap movies but if the price was right he would do them. He did them to pay for his expensive lifestyle he lived. Just ask Bill San Antonio He loved Kinski in the “Beast” just kidding! ;D I have seen Kinski in all of his Spaghetti Westerns but Last Ride to Santa Cruz (german production) and Per Una Bara Piena di Dollari. What are some of his roles you liked best? For me was His name was King (5 minutes of time) Beast, Bullet for the General, For a Few Dollars More, Black Killer, and Return of Clint the Stranger, Twice a Judas , and Great Silence!

Hahaha! Yes, I’m a Kinski fanatic. But seriously, Werner Herzog (who is one of my favorite directors) is one of the few directors who really understood how to use his crazy persona on the film. Kinski is such a intensive actor that you will remember his role no matter how small role he had in the movie. But in my opinion Kinski’s most important feature is his great face, that’s why one of my favorie Kinski films is “Shoot the living and pray for the Dead” because there’s many great close-ups of Kinski.

by the way, if you want to check out the Kinski Paganini (directed by Kinski himself) be aware of something very… well Kinski…

Oh, and Kinski is very good in Per Una Bara Piena di Dollari. Better to check it out if you like Fidani films.

Kinski did his best work with Werner Herzog , even though their relationship was not unproblematic.
I read that Herzog at some point had to threaten Kinski with a loaded gun in order to make him stay during the filming of Fitzcaraldo.
After the movie was done some of the indians that participated in the film should also have offered Herzog to kill Kinski.
Apart from the great silence I don’t think that the the spaghetti westerns he participated in honoured his talent.

[quote=“Dorado, post:9, topic:230”]Kinski did his best work with Werner Herzog , even though their relationship was not unproblematic.
I read that Herzog at some point had to threaten Kinski with a loaded gun in order to make him stay during the filming of Fitzcaraldo.
After the movie was done some of the indians that participated in the film should also have offered Herzog to kill Kinski.
Apart from the great silence I don’t think that the the spaghetti westerns he participated in honoured his talent.[/quote]

Yeah, there are thousands of examples in his autobiography. He hated Herzog in a certain way. He said he is the worst bastard in the world. And that he has no directing skills and so on. Crazy guy.

I remember seeing the documentary by Herzog and Kinski going ape at him, shouting “du dumme sau!” or something… :smiley: I think he was a fantastic actor and a very intriguing personality. Seeing the name “Klaus Kinski” anywhere immediately draws my attention, whether it’s on a dvd cover, a book, a website or an article. He’s simply fascinating.

Great Silence which is a masterpiece.Man,Pride & Vengeance,And God Said to Cain,The Beast which is upper echelon. Klaus apparently wanted to be in as many films as possible for the highest pay & shortest screen time.
He also apparently stated that he has no qualms with sleeping with any woman
he meets since each woman created has an enduring quality.

I always felt he was slumming it a bit when he worked in SW’s. While I like his SW roles, they are pretty poor when compared to Fitzcaraldo or Aguirre, the wrath of God. He was pretty memorable as the mad priest in a Bullet for the General though.

Well, I’m sorry but Kinski is definitely not American-German. In fact he was born in a Polish territory that back then belonged to Germany (before WWII) !!! His real name is Klaus Günther Nacinski, or something !
Anyway, I’m surprised how much people know about him !!!
Unfortunately, I’ve seen most but not all of his Spaghettis ! “The Beast” (La Belva) for instance is one I’ve not seen yet. What do you think about it ? I know it’s supposed to be very cheesy but I don’t mind !
“The last ride to Santa Cruz” is a German production Italian style. It has lots of great German actors in it but is not above average. Kinski plays his very first western role in it and is doing alright. “Per una bara piena di dollari” is one of the Fidani trash-westerns but not the worst of ‘em. Klaus is playing the role of Slander, a bandit boss behind the scenes. He’s just brilliant as usual. Almost every time he’s blowing away somebody,he screams ‘Adios Companeros’ (by the way the German title of the movie) !!! “His name was King” is one of the KSW I don’t know yet. Richard Harrison is also in it. Is it any good ?
My KSW favorites are: ‘The great silence’ and ‘E dio disse’ a Caino’ !!! But I like almost all of his movies, even though a lot of them are really cheap and not of good quality. I think he’s doing a great job anyway, may the movie be as bad as it can be !!! I’m curious about ‘La Belva’ though !!!

[attachment deleted by admin, new size restrictions in place. max allowed size 40kb]

You’re right about that but I only had the opportunity to pick five names. I thought I’d take names not everybody’s familiar with right away ! What do you think about those actors ? I especially would be interested about your opinion concerning Horst Frank and Charles Southwood !!! I think Frank Wolf and William Berger are pretty much well known and we don’t have to have a discussion about their great works within the Spaghetti-Western-Genre !? I like them very much, they’re really great actors and fascinating characters ! Maybe there’s J.L. Trintignant, who I think is very special, but he had one SW appearance only (of course you know, in ‘Il grande silenzio’) !

His real name was Nikolaus Günther Nakszynski. We have already discussed about La Belva here. I don’t like the film but it’s certainly interesting. One of the few films where Kinksi plays the lead and has more than the usual 5-10 minutes of screen time.

‘His real name was Nikolaus Günther Nakszynski.’

Thank you Bill, I didn’t remember it correctly !!! You seem to know a buch about Kinski !? Isn’t it sad that he only appeared for a few minutes in most of his flics ??? What are your favorite Kinski SW next to ‘Per una bara piena di dollari’ ?

to me he was best in And God said to Cain. he was really not important in Quien Sabe and in Grande Silenzio he was too much typecast

I’m not sure if it was Werner Herzog who once said that Kinski had so brief roles in most of his movies because he was driving the directors crazy and they didn’t want to do long shoots with him. Probably he was joking but who knows…

I think that Kinski took such a big money for his parts that producers could only afford few days of work with him. And that way they could sell the movie with his name.

I wouldn’t say that Per una bara piena di dollari is actually one of my faves. I prefer Fistfull of Death from Fidani’s films. The Great Silence and God said to Cain are his best sw’s definitely. Fighting Fists of Shanghai Joe is great too. The scene where he is riding towars the Shanghai Joe and then knocks him down is so beautiful. Ruthless Four is also one of my favorites.

Certainly you’re right about it !!! Kinski was a special kind of guy, not always easy to be around and very expensive !!!

Unfortunately I’m not familiar enough with the english titles to recognize ‘Fistfull of death’ by our special friend Demofilo ! I’ll have to look it up !!! Same for ‘Ruthless four’ !!!

One of Kinski’s very short but brilliant appearances is in ‘Shanghai Joe’ I also think !!!
Scalping Jack is the climax of the movie, especially his knify death !

[attachment deleted by admin, new size restrictions in place. max allowed size 40kb]