What book are you reading tonight?

(Mickey13) #441

Kafka’s The Castle. Wonderful, pretty demanding (just like everything by Kafka). Love the atmosphere, I even prefer it to The Trial.

(John Welles) #442

I started Kafka’s The Trial years ago but got interrupted and never managed to “get in the groove” and restart it. I ought to one of these days, after I’m done with my new Otto Preminger biography, The World and its Double.

(Mickey13) #443

Read it. While The Castle is always fascinating (I’m about in the middle of the book), I’d say The Trial is a bit uneven and has its stronger and weaker moments (on the whole it’s still great though). The ending was fabulously sinister - it almost gave me creeps :).

(I...I...Idiot) #444

A (so far) great selection of obviously awesome stories. Features Clark Ashton Smith, Robert E. Howard, Frank Belknap Long, August Derleth & of curse, Lovecraft.

(ENNIOO) #445

Thats a great cover !

(I...I...Idiot) #446

Yes it is! The paperback has a cool cover as well…and a good price!

(Stanton) #447

@ I…I…Idiot

Have you read Alan Moore’s excellent Lovecraft reworking Neonomicon?

(AceHigh) #448

Just read S.C. Gwynne’s Empire of the Summer Moon. Great book regarding the plight of the Comanches and their last great warring chief - Quanah Parker.

(I...I...Idiot) #449

[quote=“Stanton, post:447, topic:1204”]@ I…I…Idiot

Have you read Alan Moore’s excellent Lovecraft reworking Neonomicon?[/quote]

No, not yet anyways. Graphic Novel style, I see.

(I...I...Idiot) #450

(I...I...Idiot) #451

(John Welles) #452

That look’s quite far away from Will Smith… ::slight_smile:

(I...I...Idiot) #453

Uh, yeah. What an abomination that was.

(John Welles) #454

Well I sort of enjoyed the first half of the film; Will isn’t much of an actor, but when he’s doing his “thang” he can be quite fun. It’s a shame that the plot interfered in the lattter half of the movie… Although, overall, I doubt it is as good as the book.

(AceHigh) #455

Suspect by Robert Crais

(I...I...Idiot) #456

(AceHigh) #457

Journey to Utah by Frank Roderus

(Yodlaf Peterson) #458

Offbeat - A book about British cinema.

(John Welles) #459

@ I… I… Idiot:

That’s a brilliant cover - is that the edition you have? I haven’t read the book, but I consider the Hammer film adaptation one of the finest horror films ever made (even if it isn’t really that scary).

(Pacificador) #460

Just finished Legionnaire by Simon Murray. I had read it years ago and got the urge to pick it up again. Great book with a lot of anecdotes about service in the French Foreign Legion in the sixties.