What book are you reading tonight?

Dr and Quinch?
Come on, that’s incredibly funny. Great parodies on war films or Hollywood film-making and a believable theory how our planet was created and how it probably will end.
Can’t believe that you didn’t liked it.

There are only a few stories, about a 100 pages all collected in one book. I wished he had made more.

…maybe if i would read that collected book i would find something funny
i don´t want to sound like party pooper but what about WildCATS? that´s not that great i think
or that boy genius? can´t remember the name of it right now
but don´t worry, Alan Moore is my hero too :smiley:

Moore has done some stuff only (or mainly) for money. Some of this stuff is nonetheless good, some is not that good like WildCats or Supreme. Well he has to buy food like every other one and several of his ambitious projects were hard to sell, like Lost Girls.

But if you couldn’t laugh about one DR and Quinch story you won’t laugh about the other stories. Which one have you read?

And remember, life is just this thing that people do when they are not totally dead, man.

[quote=“Stanton, post:403, topic:1204”]Moore has done some stuff only (or mainly) for money. Some of this stuff is nonetheless good, some is not that good like WildCats or Supreme. Well he has to buy food like every other one and several of his ambitious projects were hard to sell, like Lost Girls.

But if you couldn’t laugh about one DR and Quinch story you won’t laugh about the other stories. Which one have you read?

And remember, life is just this thing that people do when they are not totally dead, man.[/quote]

i´ve read that one with time travel - they traveled to prehistoric times and changed surface of Earth or something like that - don´t remember other one
you know it´s some ten years i´ve read it, so my memory si somewhat vague about it

well, of course he has buy the food (and magical proprietes :slight_smile: ), i would write WildCATS too if i was Moore - but i like entries into mainstream comics more from other authors - for example Azzarello´s Superman

That’s D.R. and Quinch Have Fun on Earth. But if it was 10 years ago you most likely will like it now.

The best are in which they get drafted (D.R.'s first exposure into the total insanity that is war) and in which they go to Hollywood (there places that are awesome, there are places that are totally awesome, and then there is Hollywood), both are several short stories tied together, so that you have in each case one longer story.

i try to find other DR and Quinch stories somewhere,
and yeah it´s possibility that i would more like it now

As I said they are all collected in one book, there is eevn a color version available meanwhile, but it was originally in b/w.

Another very funny Moore comic is The Bojeffries Saga, a horror parody. Also short stories which were collected in one book, but probably oop.

now when i think about it a little, it was 14 years ago i´ve read it in b/w version :slight_smile: - alright, i´ll look around and try to find it - haven´t read Bojeffries Saga too
i liked Batman : Killing Joke, that was good work on a mainstream comics hero

I’m mostly reading technicall stuff about accounting, rules keep changing every day now. Guess now one will share my enthusiasm about these magnificent elements of western culture, that the accounting norms and standarts are

Hi Korano, it’s really good to see you back! I do feel you need to give comics some more chances though; like all art-forms, there are some sublime masterpieces waiting for you to discover.

D.R. and Quinch is a classic stuff! “Mind the Oranges, Marlon!” still cracks me up. Personally though, I’m not that big on Alan Moore’s stuff; i prefere his earlier work. Watchmen has some very, very powerful moments but there are also moments of stunning pretentiousness.

What is pretentious in Watchmen?

the entire comci-within-a-comic, the realms of text at the end of each issue to give it more “depth”… These things strik me as being there only so people can claim it is “intertexual”.

It all adds to the story, there is nothing which is art pour l’art imo. It is very clever, very intelligent.

I think if it works for one it is not pretentious for one, if it doesn’t work that well for one than it is. For me it works.

In the end these added pages give the story more depth, add more layers of meaning to the story, make the story more complex without overdoing it. Same for the ongoing comic. It all adds to the fascination of the story telling.

Watchmen is not that favourite of mine as i said somewhere above, but it is perfect example of writing art in comics. For me it all seem in right place in it, nothing is forced.
From time to time some comics genius shows up in comics industry and changes face of whole medium on a big scale - well, Alan Moore is one of those geniuses

yaaargh :smiley:

Thats some beard !

i´ve got this colour complete book of DR and Quinch, Stanton
must say, cover is horrible (some other covers or pinups of what i´ve seen were better ), but art inside the book looks good, i´m quite curious about stories :smiley:

There are lots of comic book writers I love, who write a good story. However, Alan Moore is in a league of his own. He is literary in a way that most comic book writers can’t even hope to be; I don’t think there has been anyone else in comics who can write quite as intelligently as he does. Even pretenders like Neil Gaiman do not come close in my opinion.

And also highly entertaining. And he is excellent in a lot of different stuff, not always doing the same.

Neil Gaiman is a somehow lesser Alan Moore, but The Sandman is on a similar level. Other Gaiman comics were ambitious, but didn’t work for me.

Frank Miller is also some sort of genius - he changed face of superhero comics with his groundbreaking Dark Knigh returns
Neil Gaiman with Sandman, Dave McKean with Cages, i would also add Mike Mignola, Grant Morrison, Brian Azzarello, Ted McKeever…(but they are not of that importance as Moore)