What book are you reading tonight?

(scherpschutter) #381

Did he also write books? Unbelievable!

(TheBigSmokedown) #382

This:

(John Welles) #383

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:379, topic:1204”]La Chartreuse de Parme (I had to look this up: in English it’s called The Charterhouse of Parma) is his other great novel.
His non-fiction (auto- biographical, semi-autobiographical) work is great too, but I’m not sure that it has all been translated into English.[/quote]
I’ve heard of The Charterhouse of Parma, although it isn’t as famous as Scarlet and the Black.

What do you think the five or six most perfect books written are?

(scherpschutter) #384

[quote=“John Welles, post:383, topic:1204”]I’ve heard of The Charterhouse of Parma, although it isn’t as famous as Scarlet and the Black.

What do you think the five or six most perfect books written are?[/quote]

I’ll try to select the ones that have impressed me most.

(tomas) #385

alongside with reading newly bought Neal Asher´s Orbus i am reading also Alastair Reynolds´space opera Redemption Ark
well, it has some 800 pgs… :stuck_out_tongue:
but again - great covers on his books

(korano) #386

Just finished Alan Moore’s Watchmen. A surprisingly intelligent and complex work for the comic book medium. Intricate story and amazing character depth.

(Stanton) #387

You are underrating comics. There are many others which are on the same quality level.

Welcome back btw

(korano) #388

Well this is the first comic I’ve read since childhood after years of disregarding comics. Formerly, a lot of the ultra dark and violent content turned me off of them as the combination with what I considered “kid” material was off puting to me.
and thanks :wink: Can’t say I’m back all the way but oh well.

(tomas) #389

i like From Hell most from Moore´s work, then V for Vendetta and League I - II, Watchmen was also good but i felt somehow that it´s not enough interesting theme for me - haven´t even seen the movie

(tomas) #390

what´s that kid material precisely?

(Stanton) #391

Alan Moore is a fuckin genius imo. He has made a lot more brilliant stuff. And very different kind of stuff

(tomas) #392

majority of his works are great, but i wasn´t very fond about some of his short comics stories or Top Ten Smax

(korano) #393

kid material being the fact they are comic books. I associate kid stuff with super heroes, capes, shit you normally see in comics. Not to say all comics have this. From Hell is a prime example.

(scherpschutter) #394

Hey Korano, long time no see!

(tomas) #395

aha - i thought you mean something like Duck Tales :smiley:
but superheroes aren´t kid stuff (or at least not all of them) - try Daredevil written by Brian Michael Bendis and drawn by Alex Maleev and you´ll see that superhero comics for adults exist

(Mickey13) #396

Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck. :smiley:

(Bill san Antonio) #397

[quote=“Stanton, post:391, topic:1204”]Alan Moore is a fuckin genius imo. He has made a lot more brilliant stuff. And very different kind of stuff[/quote]Agreed. Best comic book writer along with Jodorowsky.

(Stanton) #398

Which short stories do you mean? His older stuff from the 80s?

Smax was ok, not great, but still good. The other Top 10 stuff is better.

(tomas) #399

[quote=“Stanton, post:398, topic:1204”]Which short stories do you mean? His older stuff from the 80s?

Smax was ok, not great, but still good. The other Top 10 stuff is better.[/quote]

Dr and Quinch from 2000AD - but have read only few of them, maybe some others are better
then i read something short with vampires, drawn by Zander Cannon (or was it Gene Ha), maybe it was from Top Ten

(tomas) #400

but besides of all his great books i´m really thankfull he introduced John Constantine in Swamp Thing