What book are you reading tonight?

Did he also write books? Unbelievable!

This:

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:379, topic:1204ā€]La Chartreuse de Parme (I had to look this up: in English itā€™s called The Charterhouse of Parma) is his other great novel.
His non-fiction (auto- biographical, semi-autobiographical) work is great too, but Iā€™m not sure that it has all been translated into English.[/quote]
Iā€™ve heard of The Charterhouse of Parma, although it isnā€™t as famous as Scarlet and the Black.

What do you think the five or six most perfect books written are?

[quote=ā€œJohn Welles, post:383, topic:1204ā€]Iā€™ve heard of The Charterhouse of Parma, although it isnā€™t as famous as Scarlet and the Black.

What do you think the five or six most perfect books written are?[/quote]

Iā€™ll try to select the ones that have impressed me most.

alongside with reading newly bought Neal AsherĀ“s Orbus i am reading also Alastair ReynoldsĀ“space opera Redemption Ark
well, it has some 800 pgsā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:
but again - great covers on his books

Just finished Alan Mooreā€™s Watchmen. A surprisingly intelligent and complex work for the comic book medium. Intricate story and amazing character depth.

You are underrating comics. There are many others which are on the same quality level.

Welcome back btw

Well this is the first comic Iā€™ve read since childhood after years of disregarding comics. Formerly, a lot of the ultra dark and violent content turned me off of them as the combination with what I considered ā€œkidā€ material was off puting to me.
and thanks :wink: Canā€™t say Iā€™m back all the way but oh well.

i like From Hell most from MooreĀ“s work, then V for Vendetta and League I - II, Watchmen was also good but i felt somehow that itĀ“s not enough interesting theme for me - havenĀ“t even seen the movie

whatĀ“s that kid material precisely?

Alan Moore is a fuckin genius imo. He has made a lot more brilliant stuff. And very different kind of stuff

majority of his works are great, but i wasnĀ“t very fond about some of his short comics stories or Top Ten Smax

kid material being the fact they are comic books. I associate kid stuff with super heroes, capes, shit you normally see in comics. Not to say all comics have this. From Hell is a prime example.

Hey Korano, long time no see!

aha - i thought you mean something like Duck Tales :smiley:
but superheroes arenĀ“t kid stuff (or at least not all of them) - try Daredevil written by Brian Michael Bendis and drawn by Alex Maleev and youĀ“ll see that superhero comics for adults exist

Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck. :smiley:

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:391, topic:1204ā€]Alan Moore is a fuckin genius imo. He has made a lot more brilliant stuff. And very different kind of stuff[/quote]Agreed. Best comic book writer along with Jodorowsky.

Which short stories do you mean? His older stuff from the 80s?

Smax was ok, not great, but still good. The other Top 10 stuff is better.

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:398, topic:1204ā€]Which short stories do you mean? His older stuff from the 80s?

Smax was ok, not great, but still good. The other Top 10 stuff is better.[/quote]

Dr and Quinch from 2000AD - but have read only few of them, maybe some others are better
then i read something short with vampires, drawn by Zander Cannon (or was it Gene Ha), maybe it was from Top Ten

but besides of all his great books iĀ“m really thankfull he introduced John Constantine in Swamp Thing