What book are you reading tonight?

Finished James Dickey’s Deliverance last night and also started H.P. Lovecraft’s The Dreams in the Witch House.

one friend gave me post-apocalyptic bestseller Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky,
although he wasn´t very enthusiastic about this book i´m going to give it a try

That is a FANTASTIC cover. I dig the retro pulp look.

It is a follow-up to this, which I also recently read:

Will be reading Vampyrernas Historia (Swedish for the history of the vampires) tonight. Interesting reading about vampires with reliable sources.

Reliable sources and vampires?

LOL, yes. It doesn’t try to prove that vampires exist, it only tells the story of the origins of vampires as we think of them today, vampires in popular culture and such. More info here (only Swedish tho):

http://www.adlibris.com/se/product.aspx?isbn=9113029657

I see.

Looks like an interesting book, provided you’re interested in vampires. I’m not. I’ve seen this Swedish movie that’s mentioned in the text, Låt den rätte komma in, and was one of the few people (so it seems) who didn’t like it. I think it’ll be the last movie about vampires I ever watch (except for a Hammer movie featuring our great friend Mr. Dracula). Vampires, werewolves and zombies, I just don’t like that kinda stuff.

I’ve seen it also, really like it myself. But it’s really one of these über-Swedish movies, you’d almost have know some of the places shown in the movie (like Blackeberg and Vällingby) too really appreciate it. So that’s probably not only the vampires fault ;).

What do you think of the original Nosferatu and films like The Beyond?

I don’t like The Beyond (and that type of movies). I saw Nosferatu as a student, and never went back to it. I don’t really remember what I thought of it.
It’s not that I don’t like horror movies, but I don’t like vampires, I find them more pityful than frightning. I do like Dracula, but more for the Hammer house of horror atmosphere.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:371, topic:1204”]I don’t like The Beyond (and that type of movies). I saw Nosferatu as a student, and never went back to it. I don’t really remember what I thought of it.
It’s not that I don’t like horror movies, but I don’t like vampires, I find them more pityful than frightning. I do like Dracula, but more for the Hammer house of horror atmosphere.[/quote]

same with me, i don´t like vampire movies - boring stuff, although i quite liked Interview with the vampire, but normally i avoid this type of flicks

What Horror movies do you like?

For instance: Halloween, Sisters (De Palma), The Birds, Frankenstein, Hammer movies (especially the later ones), Saw series, Final Destination 5, Frozen, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Alien, Aliens, Predator

I quite like vampire films (although the sub-genre seldom lives up to what it could achieve); both versions of Nosferatu are terrific and The Fearless Vampire Killers by Polonski is funny and chilling at the same time. I like the Hammer vampire films as well: they always have great atmosphere.

Now to get back on-topic: I’m reading Standhal’s Scarlet and Black at the moment: it’s fantastically written and wonderfully observed. It is a deserved classic of French literature.

Sure is. One of the 5 or 6 greatest novels in history
Most of Stendhal’s work is remarkable. He was also very modern, both in style and content.

Any Gun Can Play. am only on the second chapter but throughly enjoying it so far! proberly best book i have yet read on Spaghetti Westerns.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:376, topic:1204”]Sure is. One of the 5 or 6 greatest novels in history
Most of Stendhal’s work is remarkable. He was also very modern, both in style and content.[/quote]
What are the others do you think?

I agree, he is remarkable; so lucid and concerned with the character’s psychology. In that respect, he reminds me of that other great French writer of the early 19th century, Balzac.

La Chartreuse de Parme (I had to look this up: in English it’s called The Charterhouse of Parma) is his other great novel.
His non-fiction (auto- biographical, semi-autobiographical) work is great too, but I’m not sure that it has all been translated into English.

Unbelievable - Michael Winner