What "Bad" movies or guilty pleasure movies do you like?

I also have a bit of a thing for those 80’s sword and sorcery films with The Sword and the Sorceror being a particular favourite. It’s certainly never boring; has plenty of silliness (and a bit of Carry On style humour) to complement the action. The hero has a triple bladed sword that somehow fires it’s blades at people, Richard Lynch is the villain ( a plus for me), and there are some of the most ludicrous wigs and fake facial hair that i’ve ever seen…which all adds up to a very entertaining hour and a half. Got a soft spot for The Beastmaster though it’s a little more for the kiddies i guess. Oh…and Deathstalker 2…bad film, with lots of filler from the first film, but everyone looks to be having a great time, and the outtakes at the end are pretty funny. The commentary on the R1 disc is pretty amusing too. :smiley:

None of my pleasures are ‘guilty’, but the list of bad movies I like is endless.
Top of the list for me are Bloodsucking Freaks and UHF
And another few in no particular order I’d rate at least 6/10:

• Deathstalker (haven’t seen part 2, Silver)
  • Simon King of the Witches
  • Bloody Wednesday
  • Rocktober Blood
  • The Dentist 1 & 2
  • The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
  • Leprechaun 2 & 3
  • Switchblade Sisters
  • Driller Killer
  • Problem Child 2
    … and a wole bunch of others.

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:22, topic:949”]None of my pleasures are ‘guilty’, but the list of bad movies I like is endless.
Top of the list for me are Bloodsucking Freaks and UHF
And another few in no particular order I’d rate at least 6/10:

• Deathstalker (haven’t seen part 2, Silver)
  • Simon King of the Witches
  • Bloody Wednesday
  • Rocktober Blood
  • The Dentist 1 & 2
  • The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
  • Leprechaun 2 & 3
  • Switchblade Sisters
  • Driller Killer
  • Problem Child 2
    … and a wole bunch of others.[/quote]

Finally! Someone else who likes Simon King Of The Witches! Nobody i know has even heard of it. Ever seen those two other Andrew Prine classics, Barn Of The Naked Dead or Centerfold Girls? :stuck_out_tongue:

Nope, but I’m curious due to Simon, a very original movie. I mean, a magician that lives in a (what was it again?) stormpipe?? I’ve bought a vhs of Simon King of the Witches for 0.25 euro a few months ago, because I needed to get to 10 movies in order for the discount to take effect. Prior to that I hadn’t even heard of the film, but it turned out to be among the best of the lot (along with Deathstalker). It also turned out to be worth way more than twentyfive cents, haha. Anyway, I can definitely recommend this movie to people who haven’t seen it. Some real weird humour in there, almost a parody on magicians, but not of the ‘Naked Gun’ type. It’s not a mainstream movie, that’s for sure. Well, recommending this flick however is a little pointless. I mean, chances are very slim you’ll find it for a decent price. And that’s probably also why you, and I, don’t know anybody else that have seen it. Too bad how some good movies fade into obscurity. Perhaps I can pick up distribution rights for twentyfive cents too, haha.

Yes, he does live in a storm drain. I’ve read some intriguing interviews before and it turns out the main character was based on a real person, who also assisted in the production (as an advisor). Used to have the novel (it was one of those books with photo pages in the middle…i remember wondering how or why this was done considering the limited release it probably had!)…but unfortunately my dad chucked a load of my stuff a couple of years after i left home and so it’s long gone. Doubt that i’ll find it again.

And Deathstalker isn’t a bad film (still have it somewhere). It’s a bit more sexist than the second one though (which is pretty much a comedy with DS played a a kind of “valley boy”!).

[quote=“lordradish, post:20, topic:949”]Oh, yeah, Rudy Ray Moore. I can handle him in small doses. Ever seen Disco Godfather w/ RRM? Don’t.

But seriously, you can’ t beat Black Belt Jones and Three the Hard Way for over the top silliness that tries to be serious. A few Blaxploitations are actually quite good, such as The Mack. But most are just trash. Great trash, that is. And it’s all about the music for me anyways. A lot of my bass playing style fits right into that style.[/quote]

Sadly I have seen it. It is terrible. I do love Petey Wheatstraw which is stupid and funny.

I also do love a lot of the better blaxploitation movies - Shaft and Superfly are great

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:3, topic:949”]For me it’s THE SOUND OF MUSIC
It makes me feel good, the music makes me feel good, the children make me feel good …[/quote]
Of course it’s bad! It’s the only film that got me cheering for the nazis. Anything to get those little brats to stop singing …

[quote=“Paco Roman, post:10, topic:949”]These Movies are considered by others as bad (not by my):
Fulci’s House at the cementary (and other Horror Flicks from him)
John Carpenter’s Christine[/quote]
Both really cool horrorflicks that aren’t about story but just about excitement and atmosphere. Both have great soundtracks also!

I’ve only seen the first two but the second is also just very good(not as brilliant as the first one though but hell, that one was made by carpenter).

1 Like

Have to say i’m also a sucker for all those old monster/mutant/alien films (mostly from the 80’s). Particular favourites would be;
Humanoids From The Deep
The Deadly Spawn
Creature
The Hidden
Breeders
Q The Winged Serpent
Forbidden World
C.H.U.D
Alien Warning

Seen too many of the damn things to remember them all… :smiley:

1 Like

I remember The Hidden being a huge success on video here in the U.K.

1 Like

Yeah i guess it’s not right to really include it as a “bad” film. Plus it has one of the most fantastic opening sequences i’ve seen…

1 Like

Personal preference I guess :).

Excellent stuff!

1 Like

I know that The White, the Yellow, the Black is bad, but I really like the theme song, and I think that it’s only Tomas Milian as Sakura, “The Yellow” who makes the film horrible despite his efforts. I like the scenes between Swiss, “The White” and Sheriff Gideon, “The Black”. Especially that scene where Gideon is drunk on “fire water” and can’t remember which lock to open.

2 Likes

I don’t like the film but I did like a couple of jokes and of course the opening scene as well

1 Like

The one and only Ölüm savasçisi

1 Like

I’ve been to see The Room on the cinema a few times and I’ve met Tommy Wiseau. That’s usually better to watch at the cinema with all the fans though. :grin:
Guilty pleasures:
Kickboxer
How Sleep the Brave (It’s an ultra-low budget Vietnam war film that was filmed in England. Considering the budget, I’ve always thought the performances were pretty impressive)
Schwarzenegger films are always fun. The Running Man is one of my favourites.
El Condor (I’m going to include this as a guilty pleasure since most people give it low ratings but it’s definitely one of my favourite westerns)
I will also watch anything released by Shameless Screen Entertainment. Considering how tacky some of those films are, I guess you would consider them guilty pleasures.

1 Like

I love Bud Spencer and Terence Hill films. Watch Out, We’re Mad is one of their funniest in my opinion.

1 Like

There are loads of bad movies for which I’ve got all the time in the world, I love them dearly, but I love them because they’re so awful so I’m not counting those.

The Grudge 2 (Shimizu, 2006) - for clarity, this is the American sequel to the Sarah Michelle Gellar remake - didn’t get a particularly cosy ride from the critics but I think it’s excellent.

I love The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie (Hillenburg, 2004). There’s no way it could be considered a bad movie, though I guess it would qualify as a guilty pleasure, if I felt guilty about enjoying a children’s cartoon on Nickelodeon (which I don’t, tbh). I love the TV show too, although sadly The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water (Tibbitt/Mitchell, 2015) was a let-down.

Iron Man 2 (Favreau, 2010) took a bit of a critical caning and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Webb, 2014) took an absolute kicking, but I really enjoyed them both.

1 Like

It was enough for me to submit quotes from the film to imdb, that’s for sure.

Not seen it but may give it a spin.