Westerns Unchained

Anyone know if this is region locked or not? It says so on Amazon, but that is not a trustworthy source.

Amigos. There’s a mini review up on Amazon…

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B0098TNDOE/ref=aw_d_crstars_movies-tv?qid=1354583006&sr=8-1

The review pretty much confirms what I was expecting - no real difference to other bargain bin boxsets out there even if it is on Blu-ray, but at least it releases a clutch of films that aren’t always easy to get hold of.

Yes, and a reasonable price aswell.

Well, props on the review. I don’t think this would have been worth the amazon order for me even if I had a bluray player. Bluray seems to me to be more about higher quality and added features, not cramming more onto one disk. Guess I’ll have to hunt down Dvd copies of these films.

Depending on the region setting and a little on the quality I might just buy this because it includes California (and another Gemma film I do not own yet) and costs less than the German copy.

Preordered mine yesterday, although now the listing on Amazon.com says ‘temporarily out of stock.’ Hopefully mine arrives at some point. Wonder if they underestimated demand?

If any widescreen fanatics like myself are curious as to the contents of this collection, look no further:

1. Lola Colt, Faccia a Faccia con El Diablo (a.k.a. Black Tigress)(1967)- Lola Falana, Peter Martell. D: Siro Marcellini. 16:9 (1.85:1)
  2. Long Days of Vengeance (I Lunghi Giorni Della Vendetta)(1967)- Giuliano Gemma, Francisco Rabal. D: Florestano Vancini. 16:9 (2.20:1 maybe)
  3. California (1977)- Giuliano Gemma, William Berger. D: Michele Lupo. (credits are 2.35:1, but then is cropped to 1.85:1 or less)
  4. Execution (1968)- John Richardson, Dick Palmer. D: Domenico Paolella. 16:9 (1.66:1)
  5. Kill Django…Kill First (1971)- Giacomo Rossi-Stuart, Aldo Sambrell. D: Sergio Garrone. (looks like “fake” widescreen to me, also missing credits)
  6. One After Another (Uno Dopo L’altro, a.k.a. Day After Tomorrow)(1969)- Richard Harrison, Paul Stevens. D: Nick Nostro. 16:9 (2.35:1)
  7. Adios Gringo (1965)- Giuliano Gemma, Evelyn Stewart. D: Giorgio Stegani. 16:9 (2.35:1)
  8. My Name is Pecos (Due Once di Piombo)(1967)- Robert Woods, Norman Clark. D: Maurizio Lucidi. 16:9 (2.35:1)
  9. May God Forgive You…But I Won’t (Chiedi Perdono a Dio…Non a Me)(1968)- George Ardisson, Anthony Ghidra. D: Vincenzo Musolini. 16:9 (2.35:1)
  10. The Last Killer (L’ultimo Killer)(1967)- George Eastman, Anthony Ghidra. D: Giuseppe Vari. 16:9 (slightly cropped from 2.35:1)
  11. Twice a Judas (Due Volte Giuda, a.k.a. They Were Called Graveyard)(1969)- Antonio Sabato, Klaus Kinski. D; Nando Cicero. 16:9 (2.35:1)
  12. Train for Durango (Un Treno per Durango)(1968)- Anthony Steffen, Mark Damon. D: William Hawkins (Mario Caiano). 16:9 (slightly cropped from 2.35:1)
  13. Go with God, Gringo (Vayas con Dios, Gringo) (1966)- Glenn Saxson, Lucrethia Love. D: Edward G. Muller (Edoardo Mulargia). 16:9 (2.35:1)
  14. Ringo’s Big Night (La Grande Notte di Ringo)- William Berger, Edoardo Fajardo. D: Mario Maffei. 16:9 (2.35:1)
  15. Pistol for a Hundred Coffins (Una Pistolo per Cento Bare, a.k.a. A Gun for One Hundred Graves)- Peter Lee Lawrence, John Ireland. D: Umberto Lenzi. 16:9 (2.35:1)
  16. Prey of Vultures (La Preda e L’avvoltoio)(1972)- Peter Lee Lawrence, Orchidea De Santis. D: Rafael Romero Marchent. (windowboxed, looks about 1.66:1)
  17. Finger on the Trigger (El Dedo en el Gatillo)(1965)- Rory Calhoun, Aldo Sambrell. D: Sidney Pink. 16:9 (cropped from 2.35:1 to about 2.1:1)
  18. His Name Was King (Lo Chiamavano King…)(1971)- Richard Harrison, Klaus Kinski. D: Don Reynolds (Giancarlo Romitelli). 16:9 (2.35:1)
  19. One Damned Day at Dawn…Django Meets Sartana! (Quel Maledetto Giorno D’inverno…Django e Sartana All’ultimo Sangue) (1970)- Hunt Powers, Fabio Testi. D: Miles Deem (Demofilo Fidani). 16:9 (1.85:1)
  20. Django Defies Sartana (1970)- George Ardisson, Tony Kendall. D: William Redford (Pasquale Squitieri). 16:9 (1.85:1)
  21. Django and Sartana are Coming…It’s the End (1970)- Hunt Powers, Chet Davis. D: Dick Spitfire (Demofilo Fidani, Diego Spataro). 16:9 (letterboxing looks stretched)
  22. He Who Shoots First (Django Sparo per Primo)(1966)- Glenn Saxson, Evelyn Stewart. D: Alberto De Martino. 16:9 (2.35:1)
  23. Halleluja for Django (La Piu Grande Rapina del West)(1967)- George Hilton, Hunt Powers. D: Maurizio Lucidi. 16:9 (2.35:1)
  24. Murieta (a.k.a. Revenge of Sartana)(1965)- Jeffrey Hunter, Arthur Kennedy. D: George Sherman. 16:9 (1.85:1)
  25. Ringo- Mark of Vengeance (Ringo, il Volto Della Vendetta)(1966)- Anthony Steffen, Frank Wolff. D: Mario Caiano. 16:9 (1.85:1)
1 Like

Still waiting on my one.

Fair view widescreen versions then, even though some are cropped of course.

I don’t know about this one…looks like a lot of lousy films in bad quality, probably not even worth 50 cents a flick. Although maybe it’s worth checking the music out, who knows.

I burned myself out on a lot of these cheap box sets, to the point I wouldn’t even watch a SW for awhile…thanks to “Django Unchained” I put on “The Hellbenders” - a good film in very good quality - and feel like watching a whole bunch of them again. But I’m going to stick to the quality films in good condition for a bit.

[quote=“Keep Your Head Down, post:31, topic:3107”]I burned myself out on a lot of these cheap box sets[/quote]The way I see it with these sort of collections is that they are so cheap if there’s one or two films on them that aren’t already on disc it makes them worth picking up.

Well thankfully I found this site and the cheap box set thread before I bought any more than the Mill Creek 44 set. Only just now I ordered the Best of Spaghetti Westerns by Timeless Media. I have mixed emotions on the sets. If there’s enough films I haven’t seen, then I’ll buy it. Some films though I would prefer to have good uncut prints of, as I would probably watch them again.

The only SW budget box set that I ever bothered getting. Its the best one.

Waited though cause I hear the films are cut, some by like ten minutes. Don’t like cut films, but I figure I might as well get it to watch em, then buy the uncut versions of the ones I like.

I think all or most of them are in their longest available version, but the annoying part is that on some the aspect ratio is a bit off so I upgraded to Koch for some of the films like the Ringo movies. For instance in the first Ringo film in the “So you’re looking for Angel Face” scene (A PISTOL FOR RINGO - TRAILER - YouTube 35 seconds in) the gun man on the far right is only partially in frame.

Yes, that is quite annoying, though I only find it bothersome when I have seen another print with a better presentation. Ignorance is bliss, eh? ;D

Did anyone find out if the set was region locked? I only have a UK PS3 to play Blu Rays with.

Yeah, its region free

Brilliant!! Going to get this :smiley: